All times are UTC

Post subject: Time to start using production Templates?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:15 pm 

So I've been asking myself - when would it be good enough time to start using some of the production templates!??!..
After a year, two, earlier???

For the time being I don't want to use those as I feel my learning pace suits me, and I'm a bit scared using templates would impact my curiosity and constant questioning - what happens if (I select this/that, etc)...

On the other hand I know it's a great way to speed up the work at least when someone is a bit in hurry.
Not sure myself what else to think of it so let us hear what you've got to say
:roll:

Post subject: Re: When it's time to start using production Templat
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:32 pm 

As soon as you can use a template is the time to start using them.

A template is nothing more than a Live Set that's got tracks already set up with your favorite plugs, send/returns, groups, racks, etc. but nothing recorded. In that sense, the "empty" set Live provides you with one audio and one MIDI track is just a very simple template.

Everyone's templates are going to look different and how/when they choose to use them will be different, too.

Post subject: Re: Time to start using production Templates?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:09 pm 

if you are wondering then it is time

no impedence to creativity, and you dont have to use it, or all of it, every time anyway

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:20 pm 

Quite true simmerdown
:D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:04 am 

What are you wanting to produce?

A template can help save a huge amount of work if you are doing the same things over and over. Instrument racks can also be just as handy as a template.

I tend to open previous tracks and just remove what I don't need because I explore different techniques and samples/plugs all the time. Sometimes I find a cool way of doing something and want to reuse it but I don't want to create another template to do it. I use to have full-blown templates when I would load my new project but I would always just start ripping out the components and redoing them all anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:14 am 

Hi jestermgee,
Well I'm interested to start doing 5-6 tech house tracks, and would most probably follow your way of doing things, in case I'd have a template I like (more or less) I'd probably add/remove some instruments/effects, etc and see where it takes me.
Still, I don't want to relay only to templates every single time..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:05 am 

I do have a "default" template that opens when Ableton opens but this is purely for MIDI and Key mapping throughout the software due to the controller setup I have. The actual project is always empty except for a master compressor and a Reverb in a send track.

It's just my experience but over the years I have lost hours and hours of time creating and building numerous templates thinking it would save me heaps of time only to either never use them or open them and continuously keep fiddling with stuff anyway. I still have a load of templates for different stuff but with hundreds of already created tracks I know that one has something I am after anyway so I just do it that way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:39 pm 

I've put off setting up a template for many years, mostly because I sort of felt like it would unnecessarily push me in a certain direction.

About two weeks ago I set up a very basic template, and I'm finding it extremely helpful, specifically in the Sends department. Most of my songs have a simple reverb, and huge 60s reverb for breakdowns/hits/etc, and I always forget to use play with some delay, but now that it's in my starting template, it's just there. I've also been playing with ridiculous feedback on delays, and this is in my template as well, and I find that I end up experimenting and learning it more.

I also have one channel with a drum rack loaded without any samples, and one channel with Operator loaded in a sort of 303ish bass setup that may or may not get tweaked or even used.

In general, I'd say it hasn't limited my creativity, but in fact has helped remind me of things I know I want to do but don't think of immediately -- giving me more opportunity to learn how to do them better.

Edit: And don't forget, once you build your first production template, you aren't stuck on it forever. Maybe lately you've been digging experimenting with a vocoder on your drums -- save it on your template until you're sick of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:56 pm 

Why not just dip your feet in the water? I have an incredibly basic template, literally just a 1/4 delay, 1/8 delay, and room and hall reverbs placed on 3 return tracks, as well as a drum rack with a compressor, exciter, and a couple "audio to" chains that output to the return tracks.
There are always some things you are going to end up using, so why not have those ready to go when you open a new project?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:11 pm 

Well, quite nice..Basically my template can become any sort of setting I expect to be using few times so I don't bother with constantly bringing in all the same instruments, effects, etc..
Or it can be what I'd call "partial template" to help with certain elements, for example drums.
Cheers, all great suggestions..I'm gonna try some things out from your suggestions, as the last response (antarktika) at this post said - dip my feet in the water :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:46 pm 

my default template is what you would call 'partial'...Last Ever drumrack(mapped), blank audio track set to rec external bass, two empty audio, two midi with my go-to synths, returns set up with fx chains, reverb, delay etc...basic shit just so i dont have to set up every time

i often do what was mentioned above, grab a set i liked and clear it all out except the instruments and fx, time saver as well

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:49 pm 

how do you go about having more than one template though?

As far as I can see Live only allows me to use one. I would love to have more than one template - for production, fo DJing, etc.

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:06 pm 

true, there is just the 1 default template, and i think that's the only one that can reliably retain midi mappings (someone else can verify)...so, additional 'templates' are just sets, when you have built something up in one you do a "Save As" and continue with that version, keeping the 'template' set blank (close, when it asks to save changes you hit 'no')