All times are UTC

Post subject: Brand new - project folder?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:31 pm 

How do - just started using ableton (just opened it) I've been using logic for a fair old time. I like the way that Logic does it's project folders (If you aren't familiar; logic automatically creates a folder that contains the logic file, as well as audio files recorded within that project)

Is there a similar set up for ableton? I didn't want to start wonky and have files all over the shop that i spend the next few months trying to chase!

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Brand new - project folder?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:33 pm 

yep, every once in a while do a 'collect all and save' in the file dropdown, all will be kept/copied to the project folder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:42 pm 

cheers simmer - does this create a folder at the same time as gathering the audio files?

I just 'saved as' and it creates a song file with the name but no folder.

is there a way to attach an image to a post in this forum?

cheers!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:44 pm 

tried that method and it didn't seem to auto create an all in one folder... Whats your workflow on this? It seems that you have to manually create a folder out side of ableton (in the finder), save the song into this folder, than do the collect all function.

is that right?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:46 pm 

After opening the project in the file manager check the files used by it, gather all the missing ones, and then select importing for all of them: from library or another places, then hit the "collect and save". It's also good to check once more after Live finishes the operation of importing all junk to the project folder, by opening the project manager again.

One more thing - You don't have to create the file for the project, as it is created when saving the session for the first time.

The project folder consist of all session files (als) saved as a project sessions, and folders with samples (recorded, imported, and converted in any way).
If You use any samples and loop that aren't recorded in the session, than the source files remain in their localisation, and only the asd files are added. So if You want to have all that stuff in the project folder, You've to use the file manager, as suggested above.
With the manager You may also archive the projects, which in this case are packed into the alp file (probably .zip or something like that) - all the wav/aiff samples are (AFAIR) lossless compressed. The archive file is to be opened by ableton by default.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:39 pm 

SilverNeedle wrote:
tried that method and it didn't seem to auto create an all in one folder... Whats your workflow on this? It seems that you have to manually create a folder out side of ableton (in the finder), save the song into this folder, than do the collect all function.

is that right?

it will try to save a set into the most recent Project folder...so if you want all the sets separate, when you get to the window showing where to put the .als, go out of the project folder by one level and save

personally, i set a folder for each month, save each set in there, always collecting all and saving when i exit live