Izotope Ozone in Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dilshan89

Izotope Ozone in Ableton

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:33 am

Hey guys,

Rookie question unfortunately, sorry in advance.

I recently purchase Izotope Ozone, with the hope that it will give me a more professional sound. Before I started learning how to use it, I just had a couple of quick questions.

1) During the process of mixing, should I still do things such as using Spectrum analysers and adding EQs to things like my Kicks, Snares and Bass guitar, in order to combat competing frequencies? Or are these things that can be taken care of later with Izotope Ozone during the mastering process?

2) What are the things I should make sure I've done with mixing, before I start the mastering process?

Thanks guys

dilshan89

Re: Izotope Ozone in Ableton

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:37 am

Also things like compressors to try and get things louder? Should I still do this?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:48 am

One thing to keep in mind is that you don't need to use every module on every track when mastering.

I find myself mostly using just the dynamics+maximizer for mastering, with a little EQ if a particular track needs it

Also remember that you can use it on individual tracks too. I really like how you can use the dynamics module as an expander, so I will use that as a track effect a fair amount.

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:03 am

Hey thanks for your reply.

What I was wondering was if these Izotope Ozone functions could successfully replace and remove the need for using Ableton's in-built EQ plug ins and compressor plug ins?

The Constructionist

Post by The Constructionist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:19 am

I have been using Ableton and Ozone for a while and love it. I just picked up Ozone 5 and it's a tool I use more than just about anything else. You can certainly use it in conjunction with the Ableton plugins tuning up single tracks and then have Ozone on the Master. Also, like the other poster said, you can also just use the individual modules of Ozone on each track as well. I very rarely use Abletons built in EQ's etc., but that's just my preference. Ozone really adds a great analog feel to your tracks if your into that sort of thing.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:45 am

dilshan89 wrote: 1) During the process of mixing, should I still do things such as using Spectrum analysers and adding EQs to things like my Kicks, Snares and Bass guitar, in order to combat competing frequencies? Or are these things that can be taken care of later with Izotope Ozone during the mastering process?
Yes. There is an old saying "you can't polish a turd"... your mix should be good for mastering to really be effective.
dilshan89 wrote: 2) What are the things I should make sure I've done with mixing, before I start the mastering process?
Space. Depth. Balance.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:03 am

dilshan89 wrote:Hey thanks for your reply.

What I was wondering was if these Izotope Ozone functions could successfully replace and remove the need for using Ableton's in-built EQ plug ins and compressor plug ins?
No. Use Ozone only for mastering. If you use an instance of Ozone all over individual tracks just to add basic EQ/compression you'll get unwanted latency issues. I use Ozone, i'm not bashing it. But don't use a hammer to crack an egg. The Ableton devices are all you need (especially in Live 9) for individual tracks and stick to Ozone for mastering.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:08 am

Thank you.

In the individual tracks, speaking in terms of sound clarity, what are the Ableton plug ins that I should use? I'm becoming more familiar with the spectrum analyser and EQ Eight plug ins. In the context of sound clarity, quality, and loudness, what other plug ins should I teach myself how to use?

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:53 am

I think everyone is different but it is very useful to get in the habit of using at least an EQ8 (Ableton or similar) on each track just to make some tweaks and help things sit nice. If you leave it until the very end of the chain you may find it hard if you have a synth, bassline, sub bass and drum track all pushing energy in the exact same space.

I tend to also add Compressor and Reverb to most tracks though depending on the project, something like Reverb is normally a send FX. Probably just a Utility plugin is also useful to make volume adjustments while allowing the main channel faders to be automated.

Ozone is quite a heavy plugin that does do a lot and well (if used correctly) but I wouldn't add it to anything other than the master track unless I really needed too due to the processing delay.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:46 pm

What these guys are saying definitely holds true -- get it sounding as good as you can before Ozone.

I also agree about not using it on individual channels excessively. There may be some situations where it makes sense, however generally speaking: a lot of the basic things you need to do can be done with Live's native EQ8 and compressors, etc.

A tip that isn't necessarily obvious to newer folk: EQ8 has a High Quality mode. It is disabled by default as Live is intended to be a live instrument. Right click on your EQ8's title bar, select HQ mode, and then right click and save as default.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Ahhh thanks guys.

1) What about panning though? Can that be left till the end (ie part of the mastering process)? Or should I be panning things like percussion during the mixing process itself? From what I've learnt so far, panning is just to give your music a spacious feel right?

2) Are there any good tutorials on youtube on compression for beginners, because I really don't know much about what it is, or when I should be using it?

synnack

Post by synnack » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:59 pm

dilshan89 wrote:Ahhh thanks guys.

1) What about panning though? Can that be left till the end (ie part of the mastering process)? Or should I be panning things like percussion during the mixing process itself? From what I've learnt so far, panning is just to give your music a spacious feel right?

2) Are there any good tutorials on youtube on compression for beginners, because I really don't know much about what it is, or when I should be using it?
Read "Dynamics Control" from here: http://tarekith.com/helpandsounds/

On panning, do what sounds good. If you do it earlier you have a more accurate view to your song as you add more things. Doing it during mixing works to and is common when you think "hrm this sounds dull and mono I should pan some stuff". Doesn't really matter.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:20 am

dilshan89 wrote:
Close your eyes. Imagine a stage where all your parts are being performed by imaginary musicians. Where are each of these musicians? Where do you want them to be? what sounds are going to be in the front and centre? which sounds are at the back? which to stage left or stage right? Meanwhile, consider your arrangement.... are parts going to interfere with one another? can I use this concept of positioning of parts to separate and give each it's own place in the mix.

Then learn how to use EQ, delay and reverb to position your parts in their respective positions.... there are multitudes of tricks here... taking some top end off, subtle delay tricks or use of early reflections with reverb to do this...
dilshan89 wrote: 2) Are there any good tutorials on youtube on compression for beginners, because I really don't know much about what it is, or when I should be using it?
Basically, compression reduces the dynamic range of an instrument/part. This can be used for fixing parts that have been played in where the dynamic range fluctuates too much, (like a lead vocal where the singer moves around the microphone too much) or to make things pump and move with the music (like when you put it on a drum bus), or for creative purposes side-chaining it from another instrument (like compressing a bassline with the key input from the sidechain being the kickdrum).

So... in terms of youtube... you could google each of those things.

hope that helps put you in the right direction... It's a learning curve that will not be done by just reading on an internet forum or books... you have to put yourself in a good listening environment and use your own ears.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:54 am

These are such excellent explanations. Thank you all.

A basic concept I dont understand is, would it not sound odd if my guitar track was panned all the way to the left for instance? Or am I misunderstanding? Should the guitar track be duplicated, with one guitar track panned to the left and the other to the right? Same with my keyboard track?

dilshan89

Post by dilshan89 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:57 am

Also, I understand the concept of placing instruments left and right (simply pan them hard left/right), but what about front and back?