Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
The A.dN
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:00 am

Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by The A.dN » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:13 am

Well the subject is pretty straightforward. I have live 8 now and like it, been interested in logic for awhile now. Just wanted to get some opinions on this matter and see what people think!

distaudio
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:27 am
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by distaudio » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:45 am

I considered the same recently but ultimately ended up back staying with Live.

The workflow is alot quicker and this is not just due to my knowledge of Live. I found Logic alot harder to just open it up and start playing with ideas or quickly record something.

That being said the mixer layout in Logic is alot nicer and the fuzz pedal emulation does make me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Just keep in mind that you will need to make a time investment in order to get yourself up to speed with a new DAW. But if someone were to hold a gun to my head saying I had to switch DAW I would pick Logic.

The A.dN
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:00 am

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by The A.dN » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:25 am

Yeah the mixer layout in logic is one of the main reasons I started looking into it. Mixing would prolly be the main function of Logic if i did buy it. I think if the price difference was greater the decision would be easier. :|

Machinesworking
Posts: 11105
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:30 am

Live 9. Simple really, Logic 9 is now the oldest DAW out there, Pro Tools, DP, FL Studio, Studio 1, Digitaler Performer, Sonar, Cubase, every single other DAW has had an upgrade so Logic is due. Apple's new pricing scheme for Logic is a $200 download from the App Store, this means that every single time Logic gets updated you will pay $200.

You get Logic now and Apple will come out with Logic X, and it will look really really good! :x

Harrison MixBuss is on Sale at audiomidi.com for $40. I mix down in DP8, but that's dammed cheap.

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:16 pm

Machinesworking wrote:Apple's new pricing scheme for Logic is a $200 download from the App Store, this means that every single time Logic gets updated you will pay $200.

That may look messed up on paper, but as far as I know everybody’s ugrade path for Live, or at least Suite version, is more than $200.

And I predict Logic 9 to Logic X is going to be a big change, not so much Live 8 to 9.

I get a lot more done with Logic than Live despite the better and easier noodling tools in Live. I also feel my Logic tracks are more solid than my Live tracks. That's just been my experience though.

ian_halsall
Posts: 1711
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 am
Location: South London
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by ian_halsall » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:23 pm

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Apple's new pricing scheme for Logic is a $200 download from the App Store, this means that every single time Logic gets updated you will pay $200.

That may look messed up on paper, but as far as I know everybody’s ugrade path for Live, or at least Suite version, is more than $200.

And I predict Logic 9 to Logic X is going to be a big change, not so much Live 8 to 9.

I get a lot more done with Logic than Live despite the better and easier noodling tools in Live. I also feel my Logic tracks are more solid than my Live tracks. That's just been my experience though.
Do you really switch between DAWS like this?

Doesn't that mean you are not as expert in either of them as you could be?

Myself I would just stick to 1 - not enough intellectual capacity for multi-daw and think about trying to make new music as well....

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:19 pm

ian_halsall wrote:
beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Apple's new pricing scheme for Logic is a $200 download from the App Store, this means that every single time Logic gets updated you will pay $200.

That may look messed up on paper, but as far as I know everybody’s ugrade path for Live, or at least Suite version, is more than $200.

And I predict Logic 9 to Logic X is going to be a big change, not so much Live 8 to 9.

I get a lot more done with Logic than Live despite the better and easier noodling tools in Live. I also feel my Logic tracks are more solid than my Live tracks. That's just been my experience though.
Do you really switch between DAWS like this?

Doesn't that mean you are not as expert in either of them as you could be?

Myself I would just stick to 1 - not enough intellectual capacity for multi-daw and think about trying to make new music as well....


I’m not an expert in either DAW but I’m very old school in how I write music. I don’t need any overly elaborate racks or automation.

I switched to Logic for a couple reasons.

1. My mixes always came out flat sounding in Live. The mixes sound far better for me in Logic. I’m not going to argue as to why. Those are my results and it works for me.

2. I got too distracted in session view in Live and would end up farting around and stacking things to hell instead of finishing tracks. Not a lot of that going on when your only option is to work linearly.

There are many things in Logic that are a 2 or more step procedure that are only 1 step in Live that I miss. But at the end of the day I think it’s pretty obvious that sound quality of the end result trumps all else at this point in history. I’m not arguing you can’t get great sounding results with Live. I’m arguing that I can’t.

remute99
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:26 pm

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by remute99 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:15 pm

beats me wrote: And I predict Logic 9 to Logic X is going to be a big change, not so much Live 8 to 9.
Why anyone would pay for the Live9 upgrade based on what the beta has shown so far is beyond me.
Mac Pro
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 2 x 2.8 GHz
10 GB RAM
OSX 10.5.6

Machinesworking
Posts: 11105
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:16 pm

beats me wrote: That may look messed up on paper, but as far as I know everybody’s ugrade path for Live, or at least Suite version, is more than $200.

And I predict Logic 9 to Logic X is going to be a big change, not so much Live 8 to 9.

I get a lot more done with Logic than Live despite the better and easier noodling tools in Live. I also feel my Logic tracks are more solid than my Live tracks. That's just been my experience though.
Not arguing that the "Apple way" of having a cheap price that is the same as upgrading isn't a good idea, although it doesn't reward loyalty it also gives you the ability to sell older versions.... No that's not why I said Live 9, but because IMO Live works very well alongside other DAWs like Logic.

As you well know I use Digital Performer and Live, and before that it was Logic and Live, I find that if I'm not inspired a DAW like Live will help. Logic and DP are both great DAWs with huge amounts of possibilities, but if I want to make some 3 minute song that's essentially a couple parts Live is far more inspiring.
That said, getting surgical with the mixing and breaks is much easier to accomplish in a complex DAW for me personally anyway.

Strike two against Live would be SysEx. I don't know if Logic does this but I can send tuning messages to my hardware synths that require it and DP tunes them. I set up a bell sound at the exact place in the time line that the old Oberheim here is fully tuned. The next thing to figure out which sadly I never have gotten around to is putting a full patch dump directly in the song. This way I create a patch for the song and DP calls it up, regardless if the Oberheim actually has that patch in it's memory! The Oberheim sends SysEx instead of regualr MIDI cc's for it's knobs etc. so I can record knob and button automation in DP, but not Live.

Strike against DP and Logic would be the inclusion of Max 4 Live in Suite. There are a lot of good things about the built in plug ins in Logic and DP, but for pure insanity Max is where it's at.

So, I say wait for the upgrade to Live and get it, then buy Logic X when it come out, though If it's a dud of an upgrade then save your pennies and get DP8, which is a great DAW that IMO anyway is an even better mixing environment than Logic.

Slightlydelic
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by Slightlydelic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:37 pm

i ditched live for logic about a month or so ago, and i haven't looked back, and couldn't be happier my only regret is i didn't do it sooner.

Slightlydelic
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by Slightlydelic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:00 pm

beats me wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Apple's new pricing scheme for Logic is a $200 download from the App Store, this means that every single time Logic gets updated you will pay $200.

That may look messed up on paper, but as far as I know everybody’s ugrade path for Live, or at least Suite version, is more than $200.

And I predict Logic 9 to Logic X is going to be a big change, not so much Live 8 to 9.

I get a lot more done with Logic than Live despite the better and easier noodling tools in Live. I also feel my Logic tracks are more solid than my Live tracks. That's just been my experience though.
same here, im realising the linear workflow is the way to go, vastly superior to the non linear clip launching of session view (FOR ME) and unless you cant live without session view theirs not much need to be using live.

GUY SMILEY
Posts: 711
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:35 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by GUY SMILEY » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:13 am

remute99 wrote:
beats me wrote: And I predict Logic 9 to Logic X is going to be a big change, not so much Live 8 to 9.
Why anyone would pay for the Live9 upgrade based on what the beta has shown so far is beyond me.
I disagree wholeheartedly. it depends entirely on each individuals perspective and workflow, but personally it is an excellent upgrade for my workflow in several key areas.

djadonis206
Posts: 6488
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:23 pm
Location: Seattle, WA.

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:50 am

I like them both. And yes, it's really easy to be good at both. The fundamentals are the same, the key strokes are different.

My Elektrons pushed me over the edge to Logic. Unbelievably tight timing in Logic to say the least.

I love Live for that performance element. It's like holy shit, I have an idea. A few buttons pushes and knobs twiddling and you have a track. Can't beat that.

Good times in both camps. This shouldn't be an either or, or black and white conversation.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

beats me
Posts: 23319
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by beats me » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:26 am

I think the inclusion of M4L in 9 Suite is the biggest selling point, but at the same time I have Reaktor and I can’t tell you the last time I used it or browsed the free community ensembles. It seems like M4L is Live’s built-in Reaktor, cool but not something I would grab for frequently.

A lot of times when people are bitching about something Live is missing I either don’t know WTF they are talking about or it’s something I wouldn’t use anyway.

So I think Live is a great DAW with great possibilities but I probably don’t use about 90% of the things it uniquely does great. Similarly I see those pictures with the walls of old analog gear with wires running all over the place and the only thing I can think is what a mess and nightmare. I think the same people who get excited by those pictures are the ones who get the most excited about Live.

Machinesworking
Posts: 11105
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:30 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: Upgrade to Live 9 or Logic 9

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:52 am

beats me wrote: Similarly I see those pictures with the walls of old analog gear with wires running all over the place and the only thing I can think is what a mess and nightmare. I think the same people who get excited by those pictures are the ones who get the most excited about Live.
I'm under the opposite impression. Live seems geared towards clutter free types with minimal setups.
Inevitably someone with a modular will probably have Live and Cubase, Logic, DP etc. also, but you're going to find a lot of Logic users in that crowd for sure. Why? because in Logic you can rewire the MIDI in crazy ways and set up virtual MIDI versions of your hardware. This creates a virtual POD XT
Image

less scary without the guts showing..
Image

Post Reply