Is there anything wrong with this?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aioffermann

Is there anything wrong with this?

Post by aioffermann » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:56 pm

Is it not a good idea to go about using Ableton this way?

Jam out on hardware etc recording audio, slicing to samplers/drum racks, modifying samplers/drum racks, recording audio, doing the same thing, resample-resample-resample until you have a bunch of scenes of drum racks and samplers for a complete tune

And then saving and opening it the next day using MIDI clips and instruments at hand to start out and modify along the way... Recycling.

I ask because I feel like using Ableton this way, you eat up alot of RAM and CPU. What do you guys think? I can't tell if this method is going to work or not. I had way bigger CPU and RAM demands than my set looked like it should a little while ago, but then I saved the set to it's own folder (I saved it to the previous jam's folder before) and then selected "collect all and save", and restarted, and now the CPU + Ram demands seem to have diminished a bit.

Anyways, just wanted to spark some conversation and see what yall thought about this issue :D

Tall-Timber

Re: Is there anything wrong with this?

Post by Tall-Timber » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:27 pm

Use it any way you want, that's the beauty of live! But if you're project is loaded with lots of different racks and midi instruments (if i'm understanding your situation correctly) keep in mind it you can freeze any midi that you're happy with (modulation, effects, etc.) and that you aren't going to mess with anymore and drag those clips to audio tracks, converting them to audio clips. This should cut down on your processor load and help keep things organized.
Hope this helps you out

vitalispopoff

Re: Is there anything wrong with this?

Post by vitalispopoff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:00 pm

good idea, and probably used by a lot of people around, keep in mind the principles of recording and processing in order to avoid the sound quality loss.
for more infos on that visit the digital domain (www.digido.com) - great knowledge base.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank