Ableton Re-analysisng files every time i open a set.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fastfx

Ableton Re-analysisng files every time i open a set.

Post by fastfx » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:14 pm

Hi,

Every time i re open one of my live projects, it has to re analyse the audio samples in there, it never used to do this before, i would just save the project and then next time i loaded it up it was ready to go straight away.

Any ideas on why this has started happening now?

I have checked in prefs and 'create analysis files' is ON. I can see the .Asd files on my hard drive right next to the audio itself. I've also tried clicking on 'save' in the clip area to the left of the audio waveform. Still, every time i open the project, it re analysises the audio files.

Any ideas and help would really be appreciated.

Thanks

vitalispopoff

Re: Ableton Re-analysisng files every time i open a set.

Post by vitalispopoff » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 pm

You're sure it's re-analyzing the files, and not loading them, aren't You?
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:54 pm

+1 it scans AND load the samples, if you got plenty of audio and several instruments [sampler/drumrack/impulse/simpler use sample files] it will take time to load them

Rajstah

Post by Rajstah » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:18 am

... unless you finally upgrade your computer memory and replace the shitty HD with an SSD... It load a 12giga project in 6 seconds! Try it yourself to believe me!

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:18 am

i'm pretty sure its re-analyzing them, although now you say that i'm not so sure, what is the difference between it re analysing them and loading them? Maybe that's what was happening.

vitalispopoff

Post by vitalispopoff » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:00 pm

analysis is the process of reading the tracks music content and writing the needed infos including warpings to .asd file.

If You delete asd or move the track to another location leaving the asd, Live would have to reanalyse it.

On the other hand, file that are already used, are kept in rather in RAM (afair) than played straight from HDD - in order to have instant access to the sounds and avoid glitches while working with music.

if there's too much of the sounds to be kept, part of them is saved ad hoc in the kinda virtual memory - don't remember know what it's called, but check the file/folder managing section in preferences - which might be restricted in terms of volume. If You use usually one set of samples, than even if it is big as 10GB You shouldn't experience any problems, and be able to start work instantly.
However if You load a big portion of sound files (my biggest liveset was about 3GB) than it has to be loaded to that place in order to be kept in one physical location.

I'm not sure if everything above is 100% right, but this infos come both from the manual, and my experiences.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Thanks vital, that sheds some more light on it, i think the set i was working on had become too big possibly, i've worked with some pretty big sets before with huge audio files in, and its never done it before though.

I have never moved the actual audio files in question, or deleted their .asd files, so that's whats baffling me.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Are they wav? A few of the formats get re-rendered once in a while.

fastfx

Post by fastfx » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:14 pm

yes wavs

Rajstah

Post by Rajstah » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 pm

Try to do a "Collect and Save". It will copy all the files from all around the different directories, into one single folder of the project.
In that way you avoid to the computer to look for your file from the different sources.
It can fasten up the opening of the project a bit...