Virus TI anyone?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mimesis

Virus TI anyone?

Post by mimesis » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:12 am

Anyone got to use one yet with live?
www.myspace.com/imimesis
live 6.0.5, Logic 7.1.1 OS X 10.4.8, minimoog voyager EB, MF-104Z Analog Delay, MF ring mod, Machinedrum SPS-1 UW, Virus TI desktop, PMG5 2.0DP/1.5GB, Mackie Control/XT/C4, MOTU midi express 8X8, AKAI MPD 16, MOTU TRAVELER.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:15 am

i'm interested too... anyone?

i want one soooo bad.

dj metronome

Post by dj metronome » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:24 am

I had one on order, but got tired of waiting so I got the powercore virus instead.

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:46 am

The Ti's still not out yet - they keep pushing the ship date back. They should start arriving in a few weeks though. VERY nice machine, the ultimate desert island keyboard! And Access provide great service too.

http://www.access-music.de/

sineman

Post by sineman » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:10 pm

How's the powercore? Is it up to scratch? Are the sounds as good as the real thing?

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:21 pm

sineman wrote:How's the powercore? Is it up to scratch? Are the sounds as good as the real thing?
From when I used the Virus Powercore side by side with a Virus... I remember that it seemed most functionality was similar to a Virus B, but with some oscillators/filters being a bit clearer ala the C. I haven't played with the Virus Powercore in months, but I would consider it to be kind of a B+. It was awesome from a sequencing standpoint... and editing was awesome too... but I personally like the hands on feel of the real model personally...

Which explains why I sold my Virus C (In the hopes that the TI would be out in december) and have been Virusless for almost half a year now... ugh. I want the best of both worlds darn it! :)

I suppose it depends what you want out of it... the powercore is great if you want an add on module that can effectively mimic a vast amount of effects and a few very good instruments depending on what you need at the time. The virus is great if you're looking for 'that' analog sound. I had always felt that the virus didn't do any one thing particularly special... but the whole is much greater than the parts... yeah anybody can kind of put the virus signal path together in reaktor or tassman or synthedit or whatever... but it still doesn't sound as harsh or creamy as the virus.

Having heard some of the new TI demos I really have to say they have blown me out of the water... and I really can't wait to get my hands on one.

Greg

dj metronome

Post by dj metronome » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:38 pm

[quote="sineman"]How's the powercore? Is it up to scratch? Are the
sounds as good as the real thing?[

It's the same algorithm used in the hardware. I got the V station also very nice. I used to have an sh 101 and the one that comes with power core sounds pretty much the same. It's not bad having pro level dynamic processors as plugins. The whole powercore system is awesome, it's like having hardware inside of your software.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:43 pm

metronome...
whats the latency like in powercore?

12micsn1

Post by 12micsn1 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:39 am

I dont know if many people remember this being said. The Virus Ti uses the same DSP processors as the Powercore. Im waiting to see a Virus Powercore vs Virus Ti sound comparison test. The Virus Ti cant come out soon enough.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:21 pm

I don't think you'll see much sound quality difference between the TC version and the TI, the internal engines are more or less the same. The biggest difference will be between the D/A convertors of your soundcard for the TC version, and the new D/A convertors on the TI. They sound much better than the C series in that respect.

dj metronome

Post by dj metronome » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:13 pm

[quote="AdamJay"]metronome...
whats the latency like in powercore?[/quot

everything works good, I'm using the emu 1820 m, even external midi sequencing is rock solid,

warpus

Post by warpus » Tue May 10, 2005 11:40 pm

Access claims that the Virus TI will be "the world’s first hardware synthesizer with sample-accuracy timing and a delay-compensated audio/MIDI connection." Does this mean that it will work great in Live without PDC support? Or do you think there could be similar problems as using Live with a TC Powercore? I'm really curious to see how this will work out because a Virus TI and Live combo would just be killer.

drush

Post by drush » Tue May 10, 2005 11:44 pm

funny how this thread has me thinking more about a powercore (again) than it does a a TI

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Wed May 11, 2005 3:13 am

i wouldnt get a powercore if Live's your main Daw. host cpu usage with Live is higher when using a powercore than in any other host.

and by "higher" i mean as much as 3x as high.

Its mentioned on this TC Support Page

I found this out whilst researching it as an option myself.
right now i'm looking at some other hardware. either building a frankenstein modular (paia/doepfer/blacet modules), or getting a Nord Modular G2.

smart1123

Post by smart1123 » Wed May 11, 2005 3:51 am

Just bought an Alesis Micron...Lovin' It. 8 voice analog modeler 3 octave keyboard, 40 band vocoder (rough) pretty stripped down interface, easy to learn though, or you could look at the ion its big brother, wayyy more controllers...but you pay for them. the Micron was $600 Canadian and you can order them from sweetwater for $300 US

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=13

no I don't work for them

they also just released this controller (sorry for OT)

http://www.alesis.com/product.php?id=15
15" TiBook 1.5 GHz 1Gig RAM, MOTU Traveller, Live 5, Reaktor 5, Alesis Micron, Yamaha EX-5, UC-33e, BCR2000, Lexicon MPX-1, Orbit, Event 20/20's