dropouts appeared in audio files after opening a session

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
n8tron

dropouts appeared in audio files after opening a session

Post by n8tron » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:47 pm

I did some recording over the last few days and in one of my sessions, just one, there are drop outs recorded in the recorded audio. The thing is these clicks and pops from the dropouts were not there yesterday as they were played back in the session multiple times with no problems. Then today I open the session and click/pops are everywhere. Is this fixable and what could have caused this?

vitalispopoff

Re: dropouts appeared in audio files after opening a session

Post by vitalispopoff » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:47 pm

Look out for the wav and check it's consistency with another player. The file itself may be not corrupted, but Live may experience some heavy CPU usage.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank

n8tron

Post by n8tron » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:45 pm

It's definitely in the files. It plays back the same in the finder and in pro tools, and I can see the dropouts in the waveform.

vitalispopoff

Post by vitalispopoff » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 pm

Depending on a recording, You may work it around (in some cases).

If the recording is taken from external source (the guitar, microphone etc.) then You should check the Live preferences in case of too small buffer size.

If You recorded from internal source (i.e. insterted a audio track w/ routing from another track that was the sound source), then rather duplicate the source, freeze it, and then flatten - in this case Live rather computes the sound, instead of recording it ad hoc.

In case of further problems with glitches - try to spot the device that's responsible for heavy CPU usage; it's usually one device/rack, that is too demanding. Go thru all the tracks and switch off everything, until the sound is back ok.
Then turn on the devices respectively. After finding the guilty one, freeze it.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank