Sampler-Is there a quicker way to load in samples

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Geo Safari

Sampler-Is there a quicker way to load in samples

Post by Geo Safari » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi,
I'm using sampler on Live 8, but it's so frustrating because it seems I have to make every drum kit from scratch. Am I missing something, or is it really this time consuming. So I have the drum samples I want in seperate folders, I make a kit from one on sampler e.g an 808. I program the sample not to scale to the key (so everything sounds at its original pitch) and I set the drums to hit on the white notes between C3-C4. I save that kit, so that's one down.
But when it comes to making the next kit, is there no way to drag a bunch of wavs in without it resetting the key positions for each sample? I don't mind if it's the only way, as it panders to my OCD... but I just want to make sure I'm not missing a trick to do it more efficiently!!

THanks. :evil:

yur2die4

Re: Sampler-Is there a quicker way to load in samples

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:34 pm

I don't recall or sure. But I swear there were two interesting things.

One, distribute samples evenly. If using white keys from c3 to c4, I'd just lengthen the range for all the samples to be 8 notes (all of them highlighted), then do te distribute equally.

And then drag each sliver to the appropriate keyboard note.

Also, I swear there was a way to drag the Root note With the sliver.

It'd be better if someone else could recall this stuff in practice. I'm really not positive.

garyboozy

Post by garyboozy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:35 pm

to keep the same layout you've already made but replace the samples, you need to use the Sample hotswap button (in Sampler's 'Sample' tab). that will keep your notes and roots intact.

very handy tip: with 'monitor' or 'rec enable' on, you can set the key zones with a midi controller.
just hold a note (or 2 notes for a low-to-high key span) and dbl-click the existing sample's range to snap to the new range. alt-click each range to set its root ('R').

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:41 pm

THAT. Is what I was trying to remember. If only there was a way to pound it into my memory... I guess I need to resort I the good ole' application method.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:10 pm

Nice tip garyboozy, Id completely forgot that!
? ? ? ? ?

Geo Safari

Post by Geo Safari » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:18 am

Wow! Thank you so much for these, awesome tips! Cheers.