Recommended resources for beat/drum programming?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thecageofconsent

Recommended resources for beat/drum programming?

Post by thecageofconsent » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:59 pm

Hi All,

I'm feeling a bit frustrated that my drum programming always sounds very boom bap (in a bad way).

Has anyone found a really great resource for drum programming that helped them progress? Ideally something with advice on finessing beats, adding complexity, layering / tweaking of sounds, variation etc?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be grateful for any great resources people might have to offer up?
Core i5 PC / Ableton Live 8 Suite / Novation Impulse 49 / Akai MPK Mini / Alesis M1 520 Active Monitors /
Audio Technika ATH-M50 Headphones / Native Instruments Komplete 8 / Native Instruments Maschine / U-HE Diva
http://soundcloud.com/explodingsands

savyurrecords

Re: Recommended resources for beat/drum programming?

Post by savyurrecords » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:07 pm

The best drum programmers tend to be drummers themselves. I would start from the basics and learn some rhythm fundamentals.

Also, do you start a song with drum programming? If so, stop and start with a melody or chord progression. Then program your drums.

thecageofconsent

Post by thecageofconsent » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:18 pm

Thanks man. I sort of knew this might be the answer, but, in the end, there's no substitute for doing things properly I guess.

I do usually start with drums, so will try the melody first method.

Cheers.
Core i5 PC / Ableton Live 8 Suite / Novation Impulse 49 / Akai MPK Mini / Alesis M1 520 Active Monitors /
Audio Technika ATH-M50 Headphones / Native Instruments Komplete 8 / Native Instruments Maschine / U-HE Diva

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:57 pm

or start with chords/harmony. when they are ready you have the bass notes and you have a set of notes for your melody.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:16 pm

I had/have the same issue that it sounds like you have when it comes to drum programming, and the biggest thing that has helped me sequence my beats has been the new drums-to-MIDI tools in the Live 9 beta

The audio-to-MIDI converter for drums in particular is doing huge things for me, because I can just beatbox the rhythms I want to hear, and let it figure out the specifics of the timing for me

thecageofconsent

Post by thecageofconsent » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:58 pm

Yes, I know what you mean. It's great for extracting the feel and nuance of beats (which is the hardest thing to emulate!).

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:06 pm

You can always look at a tracks waveform to view the transients to give you a really good idea of how they programmed the drums.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

ChiefNugget

Post by ChiefNugget » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:46 pm

agent314 wrote:I had/have the same issue that it sounds like you have when it comes to drum programming, and the biggest thing that has helped me sequence my beats has been the new drums-to-MIDI tools in the Live 9 beta

The audio-to-MIDI converter for drums in particular is doing huge things for me, because I can just beatbox the rhythms I want to hear, and let it figure out the specifics of the timing for me
This is why I need to use the last bit of space on my SSD and install the Live 9 beta :-)

In my Live 8 work, I have definitely found that laying down some synth or guitar tracks before programming drum tracks helps me to get a better groove. I can play keys and guitar, not so much the drum kit other than straight 8 beats.

Also, laying down kicks and snares with the keyboard then doing hats as an overdub seems to give me best results. Changing up the velocity is every bit as critical as nuances to the timing. Might try using MIDI effects to increase the range of velocities for your drum track to emphasize that aspect.
I need a baby sit my boys and work the day job plug-in.