Drums 128 - How to isolate best fits?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
balonny

Drums 128 - How to isolate best fits?

Post by balonny » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:16 pm

After listening advises and start using Drums 128, now I'd like to know if there's a way to memorise not only the whole Drum Rack (I know that :wink: ), but for example those hats, snares, kicks, etc that fit best from Drum Rack? So just the best fitting drum sound as whole.
Any idea is welcome :D
Constantly moving borders - Lapis Tertius a Sole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl5Vt4l9bk

vitalispopoff

Re: Drums 128 - How to isolate best fits?

Post by vitalispopoff » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:23 pm

theoretically the drum rack is a rack, so there's no problem with extracting the slot instrument chain, also when there's a sampler/simpler in it You should be able to locate the loaded samples in library/browser or eventually in OS browser.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:45 pm

I used to use gobs of samples to choose from in this 128's type of fashion.
Over a few years I stopped doing this, I spent far too much time "selecting" and not choosing to commit.
I realized I keep going to the same 5 snare sounds. Those 5 snares, can be manipulated by EQing and FX to fit into anything, especially in the creation process.
Once I get to polishing a production, maybe, I will got to my SnareFavorites folder and hotswap out some samples, OR drop in somthing like Operator and see if I can come up with something fresh thats in my head.
Same with Kicks Hats and Toms.

Now I have even gone WAY back to limitations as opposed to expansion with 128's,
which is building a basic kit, where the snare, kick and hats etc all fit perfectly as 1 kit that I use as a sketching point for song creation.

Other percussive possibilities I add in as I go, per song, snaps, glitchy sounds, pad stabs, bleeps, bells whatever.

In this way I memorize my rig, and it sounds great and inspires me with it's limitations.
I have found that Ableton Live is so flexible, that I can spend years configuring it as a hobby, but I can also make music with it. I can also forget how to make music with it and get lost in configuring it.

I know it's kind of devils advocate response, but it's my experience.

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:28 pm

JuanSOLO wrote: I have found that Ableton Live is so flexible, that I can spend years configuring it as a hobby, but I can also make music with it. I can also forget how to make music with it and get lost in configuring it.
So true! :D

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:41 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I used to use gobs of samples to choose from in this 128's type of fashion.
Over a few years I stopped doing this, I spent far too much time "selecting" and not choosing to commit.
I realized I keep going to the same 5 snare sounds. Those 5 snares, can be manipulated by EQing and FX to fit into anything, especially in the creation process.
Once I get to polishing a production, maybe, I will got to my SnareFavorites folder and hotswap out some samples, OR drop in somthing like Operator and see if I can come up with something fresh thats in my head.

Now I have even gone WAY back to limitations as opposed to expansion with 128's,
which is building a basic kit, where the snare, kick and hats etc all fit perfectly as 1 kit that I use as a sketching point for song creation.
THIS^+1 million
in addition to what juanSOLO said, taking this approach, can help you in developing "YOUR" sound....if you use different sounding samples in every song, you might run the risk of sounding kind of "all over the place"
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:27 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I used to use gobs of samples to choose from in this 128's type of fashion.

Other percussive possibilities I add in as I go, per song, snaps, glitchy sounds, pad stabs, bleeps, bells whatever.

In this way I memorize my rig, and it sounds great and inspires me with it's limitations.
I have found that Ableton Live is so flexible, that I can spend years configuring it as a hobby, but I can also make music with it. I can also forget how to make music with it and get lost in configuring it.

I know it's kind of devils advocate response, but it's my experience.
So you literally build a kit every time you make a track? Or do still use the sampler instead the drum rack, but with only 5 snares instead of 128, etc...

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:49 pm

I use the same kit.
8 cells each with a sampler and fx rack
Each sampler has like 3-5 samples instead of 128.
I try to think of it like a drum kit instead of endless possibilities.
Personally I just get more music made that way.
I use a default Live set I made, it has everything I "need" to make the music I want.
With Ableton giving you all these possibilities the goal has been establishing limitations and letting that develope a style.

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 pm

JuanSOLO wrote:I use the same kit.
8 cells each with a sampler and fx rack
Each sampler has like 3-5 samples instead of 128.
I try to think of it like a drum kit instead of endless possibilities.
Personally I just get more music made that way.
I use a default Live set I made, it has everything I "need" to make the music I want.
With Ableton giving you all these possibilities the goal has been establishing limitations and letting that develope a style.
I couldn't agree more, in fact I am going to start trimming down my 128's, and go through a couple "cutting" periods to get down to like 5-10 per cell. I know for sure I would make more music.

balonny

Post by balonny » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:27 pm

Trimming 128 samples to "just few sounds" sounds as well as an interesting concept. At least once decides on the best fits and keep doing and producing concrete music instead of playing endlessly with zilion options.. :roll:
First I'm gonna try with all 128, but already now I can see myself cutting down to less in some time so thanks for mentioning it.. :D

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:24 pm

balonny wrote:After listening advises and start using Drums 128, now I'd like to know if there's a way to memorise not only the whole Drum Rack (I know that :wink: ), but for example those hats, snares, kicks, etc that fit best from Drum Rack? So just the best fitting drum sound as whole.
more on the quest for samples...

one tip that's helped me tons is to group similar drum hits together. put all the kicks onto one section of notes, snares on another section of notes, etc. then don't play the drums with a single finger but with multiple fingers or your palms so you hit more than one kick at once making layers of drums. this can lead to richer drum sounds. it's easy to remember where's what, the kicks are always to the far left, then to the right are the snares, OHH and CHH. anything more are sought out on a per-song basis, I don't need a cowbell loaded up for every set, if I want one, I know where to get it.

I chose the more classic sounding CR78/707/808/909 kits from the EIC along with 4 real drum kits that sounded big and airy. combined they reinforce each other.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

balonny

Post by balonny » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks Tone Deft
Gonna listen to your advice :)
Layering drums makes sense in particular to have richer and fuller sound.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:26 pm

balonny wrote:After listening advises and start using Drums 128, now I'd like to know if there's a way to memorise not only the whole Drum Rack (I know that :wink: ), but for example those hats, snares, kicks, etc that fit best from Drum Rack? So just the best fitting drum sound as whole.
In my mind the whole point of a 128 is the not pre-determined nature of it. Assign a midi knob to the chain selector, program your midi notes and and then change the sound in place.
So my answer to your question would be: your ears tell you the best fitting sound!