FX Pedal "dub style" for instrumentalists?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ze2be

FX Pedal "dub style" for instrumentalists?

Post by ze2be » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Hey guys, another request, something I need but have zero knowledge of:
Effect pedals!

What I need: a basic "cheap" dub effect, mainly delay, and possibly with a lofi reverb, on a pedal board.

For what use: Acoustic instruments. When I dj I bring musicians to jam along. One of my favorite guys is
playing trombone. He has no perticular experience with FX, but he told me if I find something, he will use it.

I use only 2 effects when I DJ with traktor: delay and reverb, and I use it like a clasic reggae band does;
with long feedback and long reverbtails, on some cords and in breakdowns etc. I would also like my
musichians to be able to do the same.

Oh, and do we need a pre amp to get a usable signal from the mic to the effect pedal?
For now we use the PA mixer, and just set a static delay there. But it would be so much more cool
to "dub" it when he wants. Basicly just a delay pedal with an on/of switch.

cmockett

Re: FX Pedal "dub style" for instrumentalists?

Post by cmockett » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:18 pm

dunno if theres better options these days, but 7-8 years ago I bought the Line 6 Echo Park Delay, basically a small version of their big green delay pedal, BUT this one has tails on/off!! Big Green doesnt, and when I was in the market 7-8 years ago nothing else did either (that i explored)...

for the reggae band i was in back then, id set it to tape delay emulation, dotted eighth notes, and tails on... that way Id be doing the normal reggae guitar stabs and flip the delay on and off quickly to capture one stab and have it dub out while my dry rhythm kept going... very very useful option...

$150 back then i think

cmockett

Post by cmockett » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:19 pm

also has stereo ins and outs tho i only ever used it mono...

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:22 pm

Perfect, thanks!!

Do you need a pre amp before geting into this thing with a mic? I guess so..

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:06 pm

cmockett wrote:...Id be doing the normal reggae guitar stabs and flip the delay on and off quickly to capture one stab and have it dub out while my dry rhythm kept going... very very useful option...
Hmm, can you do that with steping on the pedal, or do you need to bend down and use your hands on the knobs?

Edit: No worries, I found it in the manual:
Whether the effect is active or bypassed, you can tap the footswitch lightly to set delay time. Your first two taps establish the tempo. Taps will be ignored if the footswitch is pressed all the way down to turn the effect processing on/off.
Awesome, I think we have a buy! :D

cmockett

Post by cmockett » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:59 pm

nice! yeah ive been very happy with it, tho id def recommend u using a power adaptor, that sucker goes thru a whole 9v battery in one gig...

i usually set tempo with my foot at the beginning of a song and forget about it, tho when i felt like getting crazy you can bend down and adjust time/feedback/mix with the knobs and dub the f#$% out of it

convex

Post by convex » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:04 pm

Along the same lines is the Boss Space Echo pedal. Bit pricier than the Line 6, though.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetai ... rentId=260

Another step up the price scale is the Eventide Timefactor delay, which I love because it has MIDI sync, a looper, stereo in/out, and a ton of knobs. What's cool is that, since it has two delays that you mix together in stereo, you can use it in mono to feed two separate delay lines having different in/out signals. Also built like a tank.

http://www.eventide.com/AudioDivision/P ... actor.aspx

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:53 pm

This one is a bit more expensive then the Boss Space Echo, but is reported to be a monster! Like the Boss it also has a spring reverb effect for maximum vintage Dub power.

http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

This one is less expensive than the Boss: Freakshow Effects Digilog. Comes with various custom paint jobs too.
http://freakshoweffects.com/digilog_delay
Last edited by oblique strategies on Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

Post by Sage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:18 am

cmockett wrote:dunno if theres better options these days, but 7-8 years ago I bought the Line 6 Echo Park Delay, basically a small version of their big green delay pedal, BUT this one has tails on/off!! Big Green doesnt, and when I was in the market 7-8 years ago nothing else did either (that i explored)...
The "Big Green" DL4 does have on/off for tails (I used to own one), but had the option to turn it on & off, just read the manual. Much more useful if you use the delay for oscillation.

Otherwise with pedals, I'm only aware of the Boss RE20 doing both delay & reverb as it is an emulation of the RE201, so perfect for Dub.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:46 pm

Some really nice pedals there, thanks guys!

While perhaps not what I was looking for, the Eventide sounded particularly nice. (it might be because of expensive guitar)

All of them are great, so I guess its down to budget. We might prefer a small size, because it will be used a lot on the move.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:46 pm

this site has always been a good resource for looper info.

http://www.loopers-delight.com/loop.html

I am also looking for a hardware looper.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz