How long do you spend on various parts of a tune?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Citizen

Re: How long do you spend on various parts of a tune?

Post by Citizen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:15 am

Oh, don't get me wrong - I have heaps of fun :D - its just that the arrangement part of the process is not as free-flowing as the creations of the initial ideas. :oops:

Sounds like it is kind of the same for everyone, though! :lol:

I know I've got some great 16 bar loops that need to progress into full songs - like you say, perhaps I just need to go through the process of completing full arrangements more often.

If you are interested, here is the first track that I actually managed to 'finish'. I think that the arrangement turned out pretty good, actually!

https://soundcloud.com/workflow-1/citad ... keyfingers

Have a listen if you are interested - i don't normally make tunes in that style, so that was interesting, too.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:31 am

Without trying to bignote anyone too much, have a look through Tarekith site and the guides he has written as well as any other guides these guys offer free. Info is king and the more you know, the better it makes things. We all do things differently and as experienced as I would like to think I am, I can always learn off others and I have to say just reading some of the things these guys are doing makes me think in different ways so it's well worth it. Hell I probably spend just as much time reading as I do composing.

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:57 am

jestermgee wrote: I have to say just reading some of the things these guys are doing makes me think in different ways so it's well worth it. Hell I probably spend just as much time reading as I do composing.
Ha....thats half the problem - I probably spend too much time reading and doing tutorials! I need to actually finish some stuff now! :lol:

And yes, I have read most of Tarekith's articles - they are excellent! (Thanks Tarekith!)

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:19 am

Basic loop/concept/16/32 bar loop: from 1 hour to a day to get 80% of the main elements, sometimes variations, basic automation, etc (i call that part the "demo part" like i used to call it in the days of recording guitar and voice on a tape recorder in the basement)

Arrangement 3 days - 1 year...depends ... then maybe more tinkering later :wink: thats where i really work, building transitions, adding variation to each part, finer automation, in my workflow that's where the melody gets composed, hardware and guitars/bass recorded, etc (i call that part "studio time", again refering to the old days)

Mixdown 2-5 sessions... then maybe more(2-3) tinkering a week later with fresh ears. ("mix" in my lingo)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:25 am

I'm at work so I can only listen on crappy PC speakers but the arrangement on that sounded pretty good and the tune sounds quite chilled and cool. I like it.

One thing I noticed was the hats on my crappy work PC speakers were a little sharp. Maybe the high frequencies have been boosted a little too much? I would roll the highs off just a little on the hats and replace with some reverb.

Also, being at 7 minutes and a progressive track I would also suggest mixing the beat up a bit. The other elements all sound cool but just to break up the drum "loop" I would suggest every 4 bars to shuffle the toms in the back ground, do some extra kicks or drop the hats for a couple of hits and change these variations slightly every 8 or 16 bars. It is just a small thing but it makes for a big difference. If it sounds too steady for too long it sounds "the same" and 7 minutes is a LOT to ask of people these days.

Apart from that if you are reasonably new to all this then good start. Keep playing at it.

vitalispopoff

Post by vitalispopoff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 am

Bhehehe - my official record is 12 years of working, and still just a 1bar loop.

The baby is so special, that I'm not able to anything that makes sense, and as long as the loop plays itself, it is just invincible, but how possibly could i publish a 1 bar loop anyway?
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:46 pm

It varies depending on the type of music I'm making, the standard electronic ramp shaped twiddle-fest can be started and finished in a couple of days.
Unfortunately I've started making stuff that's more like the work of Roy Budd, or Lalo Schiffrin... and that stuff is quite complex for an idiot like me, so it takes me months! I've realised that not all musical genres are created equal, or rather, they don't have equal demands during creation.