Forcing Ableton's timeline to follow me...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigwayne56

Re: Forcing Ableton's timeline to follow me...

Post by bigwayne56 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:30 am

Hey Everyone,

First thanks for taking the time to help and suggest workarounds. I will try the Master tempo so it follows the clip but I dont think that is going to help me if I am doing a mutlitrack mix that wasn't recorded to a click. It might help with my original scenario though.....

Just an FYI, a user at the Presonus Studio One forum made a clip of other hosts doing what I want and it is way more helpful to actually see what I am talking about then me typing it.

I hope it helps explain things a little more clearly. I don't think in the end that Abelton Live does what I want. The paradigm for the software is something different. I am not sure it will ever change either since the Abe's think differently about music creation in general. And that's fine I just don't want to beat a dead horse.

I am open to other suggestions and ideas though.

Thanks again and here's the link below to the clip on youtube....

Wayne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -n8mERU2zA

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:08 am

bigwayne56 wrote:Hey Everyone,

First thanks for taking the time to help and suggest workarounds. I will try the Master tempo so it follows the clip but I dont think that is going to help me if I am doing a mutlitrack mix that wasn't recorded to a click. It might help with my original scenario though.....

Just an FYI, a user at the Presonus Studio One forum made a clip of other hosts doing what I want and it is way more helpful to actually see what I am talking about then me typing it.

I hope it helps explain things a little more clearly. I don't think in the end that Abelton Live does what I want. The paradigm for the software is something different. I am not sure it will ever change either since the Abe's think differently about music creation in general. And that's fine I just don't want to beat a dead horse.

I am open to other suggestions and ideas though.

Thanks again and here's the link below to the clip on youtube....

Wayne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -n8mERU2zA
Your not really beating a dead horse by suggesting this, I dont even know if Ableton knows what this feature is.
I have gone through feature request and you can find request for this as far back as 2002.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 am

Hey BigWayne.
The technique I told you is exactly the same as the one shown in your video.
And btw, you can't have more than one master (clip) tempo at the same time, it doesn't make sense. I don't get what's bugging you now.

bigwayne56

Post by bigwayne56 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:09 am

Hey Val,

First again thanks for the help.

I know I may be dense but this is not working the way I thought it would. OK So I am dropping in a four track drum recording just to test out this way of working. so what I do is;

1) Drop in all four samples, recorded free time (no click), each to its own track. 1-4 Kick, snare, Over left, over right
2) There is a four count, count in for the track so I know where the "1" is.
3) I manually set the markers for the snare, which is going to be my "master" tempo" track
4) If I quantize the track, or opt-drag the track to move the transiets to match the grid, then it changes the timing of the snare track and de couples it from the other tracks. If I turn off warp for all tracks it goes back to being in sync again of course but doesn't really help me at all.

The original scenario and the above scenario are the two biggest things that keeping me from using Live full time. I get a lot of material that was free time recorded to no click and I need an easy way of making both the grid and metronome match the music and NOT change the timing of what was already recorded.

I also do a lot of writing for other people, and they love the human feel a lot of times with my tracks NOT recorded to a click, as in the original scenario of me and a guitar track, and making all the timing of the song work off that guitar track.

I think I am missing something key in the lining up the markers to grid part of the equation. Cause every time I do anything with the markers I manually create on the master tempo track, anytime I move them in anyway shape or form they actually move the material and not just the grid.

Again, thanks for the help. And sorry if I am being dense here, but I really like Live and I use it as a sketchpad all the time for writing and would like to stay in in from beginning to end of production if possible.

Thanks,

Wayne

Pete from Bristol

Post by Pete from Bristol » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:32 am

Hi Wayne,

I know this is a really old thread but am hoping you or someone will get an alert. Did you ever get this sorted? I have exactly the same requirement!

Pete