numark ipod mixer

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sqook

numark ipod mixer

Post by sqook » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:06 pm

...coming soon to an apple fanboy near you! :)

Full story here.

Looks quite interesting, imo... I'm curious to know how they're going to get pitch-shifting software to work on an ipod, though. The damn thing doesn't even have a floating point processor!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:41 pm

this is actually a good idea for tiny dj installations.
BYOI - bring your own ipod...

Pitchshifting could easily be done internally in the numark.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:48 pm

Machinate wrote:this is actually a good idea for tiny dj installations.
BYOI - bring your own ipod...

Pitchshifting could easily be done internally in the numark.
Yeah... I'd imagine that it would be similar to using Traktor's new Ipod hookup... except perhaps a tad bit fancier in that you could select the track on the ipod on the numark deck and it'd load it internally to the mixer.

Could be interesting, though the requirement for two ipods would strike me as somewhat comical and odd... who would want to dupe their music library onto two identical ipods? Hopefully the system is somewhat intelligent.

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:53 pm

i think the fact that the ipod HD's are REALLY slow and have an incredibly small buffer is why you'd need 2.
playing back 2 tracks from 1 ipod at once...

can
not
com
pute..

^@#&^@#

Deft

Post by Deft » Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:37 pm

Apparentely the reason for two iPods was to do with digital rights and not making copies or something ridiculous. Skratchworx (with a K people!) has the original thread about the unit, as Gizmo was over at Messe, but told not to take photos!

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:08 am

i smells me some vaporware.

k

forge

Post by forge » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:52 am

sounds like a great idea to me - imagine taking just an iPod to a gig! man your set would be literally in you pocket.

maybe Ableton should work with them on the interface - get some of the clip stuff going on with an LCD clip view.

as far as slow iPod HD - surely the transfer rate from it into the mixer would be fast enough that you could sort out playlists beforehand then load the playlists for your set into the mixer - the first track could probably even be streaming into the mixer while it plays if needs be.

It think if they pack enough interesting features into the mixer to allow alot of creative possibilities (not just playback and crossfade etc) then it's a very interesting idea indeed.

robin

Post by robin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:56 am

looks like a mockup picture from the shadows produced.

who the hell owns two ipods tho? you could buy a laptop for that kinda money (you'd need 60gb ipods)

forge

Post by forge » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:59 am

robin wrote:looks like a mockup picture from the shadows produced.

who the hell owns two ipods tho? you could buy a laptop for that kinda money (you'd need 60gb ipods)
My guess is you wouldnt actually need 2 iPods - just could if you were maybe doing a gig with someone else or wanted a backup for yourself (not a bad idea if you're on tour or something!) but I doubt you'd need 2.

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:06 am

hmmm dunno....to do pitching of audio this device has to include a DSP or a computer inside...... which looks almost impossible because of the size of it .....

forge

Post by forge » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:10 am

olafmol wrote:hmmm dunno....to do pitching of audio this device has to include a DSP or a computer inside...... which looks almost impossible because of the size of it .....
you serious?? You could absolutely fit some hardcore compnents AND a hard drive AND a DVD-Writer in a case that size with room left over.

besides - you could use flash rom or or even ram for temp audio storage and still have alot of options

robin

Post by robin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:14 am

that's all very nice and all but as adam points out the drives are slow in the first plave and that console isn't gonna be that cheap it it does anything useful.

i'll stick with the 12" powerbook :)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:36 am

robin wrote:looks like a mockup picture from the shadows produced.

like dirtystudios said, it's vapourware so far. And I don't really see why you'd need 120gigs of mp3s to do a dj set?

I'm sticking with my original interpretation, that this product is aimed at fixed rigs where the dj would only bring 1 or 2 iPods. I've seen loads of iPods in dj-rigs already, even pics of make-shift dual iPod systems. This is just another step in that direction.

-plus, there's a very large iPod following out there, the market may be bigger than we think - i mean, of course *we* all think doing it with a laptop is more clever... this is a s/w forum after all...
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

forge

Post by forge » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:04 am

Machinate wrote:- i mean, of course *we* all think doing it with a laptop is more clever... this is a s/w forum after all...
Actually, cost aside I'd love to have something like that - why take your laptop when you only need an iPod- the ultimate of course would be a hardware version of Live as a controller - but why not make it so the source for your audio files is an iPod - it's basically only an external HD anyway

besides all else dedicated hardware removes alot of links from the chain of fuck-ups - and very few laptops were designed with exactly audio live sets in mind so there's a mix and match of hardware components inside

I can definitely see a time coming where DJs all over would rather take their iPod to a club and plug it into the in house system by slotting it into a mixer like that - I think Numark are on the ball with this idea and we could see alot of these over the next few years

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:00 pm

lets seee... that things probably gonna be in the $500 range if it ever materializes. simply because all ipod accessories are overpriced. add two 20GB ipods for $300 each.. ouch = $1100

for that i could get a $500 laptop (mac or pc even), Traktor DJ, and a Faderfox DJ-1.

i just don't think there is a market for that thing, unless it has the build quality of a pepsi bottle so they can make it cheap enough for anyone not serious about DJing to actually throw money into it.
They could have gotten away with it a few years ago when Hawtin did those ipod dj sets at the Apple Store. But now, i just don't see it happening. Traktor, Live, FinalScratch, Serato, have all developed alot in the last few years. They missed the boat. Then again, when was the last time NUMARK came out with a revolutionary product?