sample and bit rate conversions on mix down

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
scampodonico

sample and bit rate conversions on mix down

Post by scampodonico » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm wondering if i am working with audio files of different sample rate/ bit depth, within the same project, when bounce down to a stereo file, does ableton automatically convert to the same format and then bounce? or do i need to apply dithering with changing bit depth?

doom_Oo7

Re: sample and bit rate conversions on mix down

Post by doom_Oo7 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:35 pm

IIRC Ableton use floating point so you shouldn't have to dither.
For resampling, it all depends on the sampling rate of your project : every imported audio clip will be resampled to the sample rate of the project (ex. : 48 -> 44.1 if you work with movie samples)
So some might say that you could use a very high quality resampler before importing your files into live, to ensure the maximum possible audio quality.
(e.g. what's found in iZotope RX Advanced)
Ossia Score, an OSC sequencer for intermedia arts - http://www.ossia.io

vitalispopoff

Re: sample and bit rate conversions on mix down

Post by vitalispopoff » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:54 pm

dithering is to be added only in case of ready-to-publish renders. It is widely known that samples and loops rendered for further production purposes are definitely to be done without dithering.
AFAIR Ableton manual suggest to render those (i.e. samples/loops for further production) in 32bit btw.
MBP/ M-Audio FW 410/ OSX 8/AL 9 Suite/ UC33e + Drehbank