Monitoring Midi while Recording to arrangement

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tstu102

Monitoring Midi while Recording to arrangement

Post by tstu102 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:42 pm

When I am jamming in session mode without recording to the arrangement, I can selected a midi track, arm it for record, and here myself playing my synth whether or not I am in overwrite mode.

But when I am jamming in session mode and recording everything to the arrangement, once I record and loop a clip in that same record enabled midi track, I can only hear myself playing while in Overwrite. Therefore, once I record a simple loop, I have to create a new midi track in order to here myself without recording again.

I believe this is happening because it is writing the midi to the arrangement track, and for some reason will not allow me to monitor without overwrite on.

Please help! Sorry it sounds confusing.

Tall-Timber

Re: Monitoring Midi while Recording to arrangement

Post by Tall-Timber » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:31 am

I want to help out but I just need to clarify what's happening; while listening back in arrangement view, you can't play midi on an armed track that already has a clip recorded, unless you turn on the midi overdub feature? This shouldn't be the case.

BishFadi

Post by BishFadi » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:19 pm

I believe I am having this exact problem. Here is the situation :
I am trying to capture a live Push performance by arming Arrangement Record.
In my song, I play and loop a hi-hat pattern, and while it's looping, I play drum fills from the same kit, eventually falling into a beat, at which point I arm the MIDI Overdub and record the beat into the same loop as the hi-hat.

HOWEVER, with Arrangement Record armed, as soon as I start playing back the hi-hat loop, I can no longer hear the monitoring from my drum kit, unless I hit the MIDI over-dub. If Arrangement record is NOT armed, then everything works exactly as it should.

The problem here is that I can't play anything new without having to commit it to the loop (once again, only when I'm trying to record in Arrangement Mode).

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:15 pm

same problem here. i want to play through the midi tracks that already has a loop in it, just like it does when arrangement record is not on. I hope this is possible...

Dragonbreath

Post by Dragonbreath » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:49 pm

Have you guys tried switching monitoring to "On" instead of "Auto"?

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:30 pm

Dragonbreath wrote:Have you guys tried switching monitoring to "On" instead of "Auto"?
If you do that then you wont hear your loop when you make one.

kurtr2

Post by kurtr2 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:11 am

BUMP,

I still am trying to solve this problem. When I press arrangement record I want to capture everything the way it is when I am playing in session view. is this not possible?