Here's what I posted at the "TEST RESULTS" thread.
However, my current Late 2011 MBP came with Snow Leopard.
I upgraded to Lion.
Getting back to Snow Leopard was a pain. It had to be a clean install of a later version of Snow Leopard to boot.
After getting things up and running again, I posted these results and was very happy.
After a few months or so, computer would NOT start up.
Tried installing Snow Leopard and it would NOT install.
I'm no computer expert, but a guy who I work with is, I guess.
He was saying something about firmware updates, late 2011 MBP's and Lion crippling my machine from getting back to Snow Leopard again.
Not sure how that works, or what really happened, but I could not get Snow Leopard back.
I threw in the towel and got a new SSD drive and installed Mountain Lion.
So far so good.
Prior to the SSD drive it seemed obvious that Lion was less responsive than SL. Not sure about ML prior to SSD.
Even opening a web browser or any app, just seemed to lag longer than it should.
That said, I am guessing that pending on which computer you have is more they key to getting proper results with SL.
If you have an early 2011, or earlier, I say SL all the way.
Anything later, ML.
1. Ableton Live CPU Meter: 35%
2. Laptop/Desktop? Make/Model? MBP 15"
3. Operating System? 10.7.4 Lion
4. Ableton Live version? 8.3.2
5. CPU Make, Model, and Speed? 2.3GHz Intel Core i7
6. Amount of Ram? 4 Gb
7. Soundcard (and driver version if you know it)? Built in
8. Hard Disk Drive Speed (if you know)? 5400rpm
9. Number of playback tracks? 8
1. Ableton Live CPU Meter: 38%
I did get lower CPU results running my own drumRack test.
1) Ableton Live CPU Meter idles at 14%, peaks at 17%
2) Laptop/Desktop? Make/Model? Late 2011 MBP
3) Operating System? 10.6.8 (snow leopard)
4) Ableton Live version? 8.4.3b
5) CPU Make, Model, and Speed? 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
6) Amount of Ram? 4GB
7) Soundcard (and driver version if you know it)? internal
Hard Disk Drive Speed (if you know)? 5400rpm
9) Number of playback tracks? 8
MUCH BETTER. Should have never upgraded to Lion, it was a pain to get SL back on.