Bass notes to high.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Veltrida

Bass notes to high.

Post by Veltrida » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:37 pm

A song I'm writing was a bass line (C and F) but the problem is the current octave I'm using is to high and if I move an octave down the root note pokes around 30 hz.
Either on is not enough to really rattle my sub, I want to be able to rattle my walls with low frequency.
Is there another set of note I could use so that it will still harmonize with the rest of the song and be in key and manage to still be very bassey?

Angstrom

Re: Bass notes to high.

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:50 pm

Option 1 : Transpose entire song down a 5 semitones.

Option 2: edit bass sound to be more appropriate , usually how it sits in the arrangement is a function of the density and prominence of the of the mid harmonics, and the balance with a transint punch/pluck component. Pitch it down an octave and add a layer with a triangle wave, a shortish volume decay to zero( 1.5 seconds) put a saturator on that and use the saturator to control the additive generation of upper hormonics.

Veltrida

Post by Veltrida » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:05 pm

I'm just using a sine wave for my bass channel, so just add another oscillator half an octave down with a saturator?
could you explain a little more, I'm new to this.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Hmm, you probably want to go and find some tutorials about making bass sounds on the web.
You are just at the beginning of knowing what everything is, I'd have to explain the concepts behind the concepts (harmonics, transients, compression, etc) that I'd use to tell you how to do this. I'd do a worse job at this than the internet can do

But simply put: You are not going to get much joy from using only an un-processed sine wave as a bass sound.

aioffermann

Post by aioffermann » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:48 am

Experiment, your music will be better in the long term.

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:54 am

A little trick I use to get my sub bass to be phat is use Live's overdrive. I put the filter so the circle is all the way on the bottom left (frequency 50hz and resonance .50) and then turn the tone and drive down to about 15% as well as the dynamics and dry/wet, and then adjust to taste. This doesn't do too much to distort the signal, but shapes it in a way that beefs up the low end. I usually also pop on a saturator after that too.

Another tip is that I find that E0 or F0 are IMO the perfect notes for a sweet sub, which is around 40-50hz.

Komodovaran

Post by Komodovaran » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:39 pm

Add a saw wave, and start with no volume. Slowly turn it up, so it doesn't sound buzzy, but rather adds "edge" in order to properly feel that sine wave. Like adding a bit of salt.

mrobare

Post by mrobare » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:19 am

you could make a copy of the bass track
lower it a octave and slow raise the volume
of the clip till it sounds right

devobtch
Windows 7 64bit I7 970 3.2 Ghz
12 GB 8 TB storage ASUS 6970 video card
ASUS Rampage Extreme motherboard
Ableton Live 9 Suite Komplete 7 Mach 5 3
Garritan Jazz and Big Band FL Studio and numerous