Mixing in Mono help!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
theswiftone

Mixing in Mono help!

Post by theswiftone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:38 pm

I've just purchased a Avantone mix cube to listen to my mixes in Mono and hopefully improve my mixing. I just bought the one mix cube. So what I want to know is, as my mixes are in stereo and the monitor is plugged in the back of my audio interface via one XLR cable. Am I listening to just the left or right side of the mix? Or are both the left and right signals being sent to the monitor as Mono? Or do I need to stick a Utility on the master to make the mix mono? Or is there something completely different I need to do, so I know I'm listening to the true Mono version of the mix?

Thanks in advance for your help...... :D

simonlb

Re: Mixing in Mono help!

Post by simonlb » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Which output is the cable plugged into? Guessing your interface has seperate left and right outputs?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:34 pm

stick a utility on the master and set the width of it to 0, that will add the main stereo L & R together (summed to mono) and send the same mono mix to both your hardware XLR outputs. Then it wont matter which hardware output you connect to, they will both be the same.

A note about mix-cubes. they are based on the Auratone, which was designed to simulate the listening average experience of an average 1970s consumer.
It's my opinion that a lot of what a producer gets from an Auratone can be got from sending your mix to your iPhone. It's a mono speaker that accurately replicates todays average modern listening environment. It's not the same, but it's well worth doing.

That's just my opinion, everybody has one.

theswiftone

Post by theswiftone » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:46 pm

Im using an M-Audio profire 2626, don't know if anyone got experience with them? But at the back there is 8 Line Outputs two of which I use for my normal monitors and now Im using one for the Mix Cube. On the Router (in the software) you select these Outputs to Mixer Out to be able to here your selected channels (no option for left and right). But what I cant get my head round is if I deactivate my normal monitors is the sound coming out of the Mix Cube in Mono or is it a left or right channel only that Im hearing??

Yeah think sticking a Utility on for the time being means I know the sound coming out is definitely in Mono...........