Learning MAX/MSP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Phat Conductor

Learning MAX/MSP

Post by The Phat Conductor » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:38 pm

i want to learn MAX/MSP

can someone point me to some nice tutorials, etc? looking with google proved to be very ineffective...

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:50 pm

Your best bet for that is to find some type of mad scientist genius type.

Good luck!

One day I just may buy that program, much respect here for Kit Clayton, Sue Constable and that whole cycling crew.

hoffman2k

Re: Learning MAX/MSP

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:03 pm

The Phat Conductor wrote:i want to learn MAX/MSP

can someone point me to some nice tutorials, etc? looking with google proved to be very ineffective...
Have you tried plogue bidule? not the same but a step in the right direction and cheaper. Pretty easy to learn too.

www.plogue.com

computo

Post by computo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:35 pm

The best tutorials for Max are undoubtedly available for download with the program...there are tons of tutorial documents and accompanying descriptions as well as example files which are great for help in understanding.

I use it all the time, and if you want some specific help, you can PM me, or get on the mailing list for Max, which often yields response from Kit Clayton or David Zicarelli, who developed the program. an easy way to deal with the list is an extra gmail account.

There is a wealth of info on cycling74s resource site, which you can access on cycling74.com Max is some of the most fun I've had in the computer music world, and it really takes over your brain. You can literally run anything from Max, including motors and all kinds of crap...I dream about max all the time, especially when Im emmersed in a building a file...When I get stuck I take a nap, and I always wake up with new insight! Good luck and welcome to a great world!

-Computo
iamcomputo@hotmail.com

computo

Post by computo » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:40 pm

Im always looking for more resources, so if you find anything cool, drop it here.

unfortunatly, there arent that many people who are forthcoming with their code, but again, the email list is good for that.

There are a couple books, but most of the stuff they cover as far as object definition is available through the help files on each object. (to see the help file, option/click on the object) thats another way to get good info.

The book I have, Composing Interactive Music in max (its flaming pink) does have some good info about workflow, and the concepts inside Max, as well as a cd full of patches that are very cool for learning.

But the best advice is completely read through the included docs with max. I ask questions to the email list all the time, and get sent right back to the tutorials and examples, often to something I skipped or missed!

-Computo

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:24 pm

computo wrote: I use it all the time, and if you want some specific help, you can PM me, or get on the mailing list for Max, which often yields response from Kit Clayton or David Zicarelli, who developed the program. an easy way to deal with the list is an extra gmail account.
-Computo
iamcomputo@hotmail.com
good to see you here computo.
I'm a new user to the apps, too.
hope we can get along.

thx for being so forthcoming.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:31 pm

you should check out MusicWonk also. Much more accessible than Max/MSP - and particularly useful if you've already got more vstis, fx, samplers and synths than you've had time to fully explore. Fantastic for feeding Plogue Bidules.