Live 5

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:45 pm

Yee of little faith...

If you see how much people try to copy from Live, it gets easier to understand why Ableton does not say what they are up too.
There will always be a better piece of software and others catch up....
There is no question that making music with Live is unlike any other thing.
Why is that? Because you play with Live when you compose.
With other software you're just operating a DAW.

No doubt that some people are at one with their DAW, but that takes years of experience. While Live feels more natural and basically lets you do what you want to do.

When choosing a piece of audio software, ask yourself "what do i really need to make music?"

Ableton Live is the best piece of audio software out there. I know some of you might feel different about that because of all the features in other apps.
But i always get to say "i told you so".
We will see where it goes. We're all waiting for some kick-ass features.
It's about that time of the year to make a kick-ass announcement.......
If you give up on Live now, you might end up regretting it.

Damn, Ableton got me brainwashed 8O (follow actions have a hypnotic effect)

louZ

Post by louZ » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:56 pm

another thing lacking from P5 is midi out. you have to use a freeware plugin, made by Rene from RGC: , to sequence your external gear.
The plugin work. The problem is i have more than ONE external synth, and you CAN'T have it on multiple channel, one instance of the plugin LOCK the midi port it's using.

So, if i have let say, a 4 parts synth working on channel 1 to 4, i need 4 instances of the plugin, each instance using a different midi port, then i have to merge these 4 virtual port to one physical port using midi-ox. to send channel 1 to 4 to a real physical midi port out to my 4 parts synth.
That's not a fault of the plugin, but your MIDI driver: the plugin can open the same port as many times as you want, as long as your MIDI driver are multiclient.
http://www.cakewalk.com/forum/tm.asp?m= ... age=1&key=

geargasm

Post by geargasm » Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:11 pm

Hmm. I haven't posted in years now, but its Sunday morning and the Armenians drug me here.

In the looks department, it appears as though these programs do the same thing, but they do not. Really. While it has some features Live has, its also Missing some, and vice versa.

Big deal. Get back to your tracks fanboys. It'll be another year or so before I post again, I've got work to do.
I am the bumpitron.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:35 pm

For the record, the guy did say you can record loops and place them in the Groove Matrix on the fly without stopping the audio engine.

I just wanna know if it lets me make Mark In/Mark Out for loops on the fly.

louZ

Post by louZ » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:59 pm

sweetjesus wrote:For the record, the guy did say you can record loops and place them in the Groove Matrix on the fly without stopping the audio engine.
yep, but that statement was corrected in the P5 forum.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:57 pm

geargasm...
Did you say the Armenians drug you here? Because I just recieved a very typographically errored post about the lies of Armeniens on behalf of support@Ableton.com. I am just waking up, and a little hazy-not sure what to make of it!

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:17 pm

what i always loved about live, from v1, was its simplicity.

each and every single one of us has a little wish list and if ableton tries to include everything, all your gonna end up with thousands of menus.

working with live, after moving from cubase just felt like a breath of fresh air, and although i understand the product can and will be improved, i get a little bit worried that its going to become more unstable for live performances and less intuitive as well.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:43 pm

I've no doubt that the Abletonians keep a close eye on the wishlist in the forum.

They have the ability to include many of the user top requests in their next release. Maintaining their already huge user base is as important as finding new customers, now that there is real competition from Cakewalk.

I'd love to see Ableton post a top 50 list of the popular feature requests that they have a preference for and feel comfortable in adding. Then, following user voting on this forum, Ableton decides what merits inclusion in the next release.

To some extent Ableton know better than all the users what is good for Live (given that the user base is an enormous diverse crowd using Live in slightly different ways with a variety of other software and hardware).

For all the feature requests that have been logged in the forum, I wonder which ones can be classed as "groundbreaking" and which are really just little tweaks and details to enhance the current model. My guess is the vast majority are the latter - because Live is already pretty perfect for what it is intended for.

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:45 pm

Hi, yes we are listening.
No, we will not post such a list. Other companies are reading this forum too :-)

Robert

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:16 pm

I hope you do Robert, I wont give up my audio "Benz" ( in my home country that is the high image of quality- made in Germany- which Ableton represents too, simple elegance + efficieny)for a KIA ( they have also lookalike of Mercedes) of cakewalk.Behringer mixers also looked like Mackies, anyone who tried know where the similarities end ( the photo in low resolution) Messe talks and advertising are one thing but work reality is different, tried some cakewalk years ago ( after Messe Kakawalk persuasions) have no time neither interests for such experiments
But we all hope for some usefull basic features, damn the Reason 3 is good example, gives us remote!!! please!

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Tue Apr 19, 2005 7:26 pm

All I want is the ability to apply seperate delays to audio and MIDI output. I'm still plagued with having to add a simple delay at 30ms or so to each of my audio tracks so they synch perfectly with my hardware synths.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:31 pm

Lets start asking for things we dont want and will make a program suck. Maybe cakewalk will implement those ideas and become sucky.

i.e. Make the audio engine 8bit.

We just have to figure out a way to embed a secret code to make the abletons know which requests are real and which are not...

ilia

Post by ilia » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:43 pm

sweetjesus wrote:Lets start asking for things we dont want and will make a program suck. Maybe cakewalk will implement those ideas and become sucky.

i.e. Make the audio engine 8bit

We just have to figure out a way to embed a secret code to make the abletons know which requests are real and which are not
Use a secret :wink: , as in

Make the audio engine 8bit :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Wait, are you saying you don't really want an 8-bit engine???

anti-banausic

Post by anti-banausic » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:16 pm

Um,
I can understand why some of you guys are popping eyes over this, but it is exactly as someone here said:

It is just like LIVE, with some more instruments, and some of the wishlist items thrown in....things which a)I have enough VSTi's, b)Ableton will implement much of in LIVE5.

Aside: It looks so much like LIVE, only crappy, not elegant.

And an interesting quote from the last page:

"It's truly innovative, not a 'me too' product." :roll: Tears of laughter came to my eyes when I saw that.....

But, in reality, LIVE5, only on supposition, will be this and more....

Just add PDC, freeze, saving device chains...

It will only get better.

Keeping living with LIVE.
Cheers,
AB
Macbook c2d 2.0, 2G RAM, 160G HD 5400 RPM, OSX(10.5.5), XP Home, LIVE6, BCR 2000, UC33e, Yamaha P-200, Logic Studio, KRK V6 II

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:22 pm

ableton will eventually have to make every data object assignable by midi and as far as the code goes, modular.

the more they develop other features, the bigger this task will be for them down the line.

the sooner they do this, the sooner they can start doing things like letting us have cool things in the program like a screen like logics environment editor where we make our own knobs and sliders and assign them to multiple destinations in live. You know, things which kind of go to the performance based origins of Live which will compliment its newly aquired realtime music compositiion status.