Looking for a new USB Performance Keyboard.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tastypants

Looking for a new USB Performance Keyboard.

Post by tastypants » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:14 pm

I have been using the Akai LPK25 for about a year. Now I'm no Pianist, whatsoever, that's why I simply got the 25.

But now as I progress I want more keys for obvious reasons. So I'm looking to invest in a new keyboard. I truly love Akai products ( I rock with the apc40 and Mpd 26) but from as far as I know the next step up from the LPK25 isn't what I'm looking for.

So what would you recommend from going from the lpk25 keyboard to something else? What would be the next step up from a 25 key- keyboard? What other brand should I look for that works well with Ableton?

One main reason on why im upgrading is because I lost the USB cord to the LPK and I just got some money and now I think it was a blessing in disguise. Heh.

thanks all, i'll be awaiting your responses! :mrgreen:
The Brotherhood Shall Prevail

Zygi

Re: Looking for a new USB Performance Keyboard.

Post by Zygi » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:24 pm

I saw some cheap Novation SL Remote 37 compact popping out on ebay from time to time. (1st gen) Look into these. 37 is a big step forward in terms of usability, but also a nice compromise between portability and all the other factors.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:19 pm

get some money and wait for that

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2013/ ... sequencer/

a really nice keyboard. the 49 key version is buyable but more cost effective

or just get a new micro usb cable ;)

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:39 pm

Yeah, if you're in no rush, wait and see what is released this week in NAMM...

Only recommendation I can make is try before you buy... key action between different models, even by same manufacturer, can vary a lot...

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 pm

I was in the same boat awhile back and ended up with a Korg Microkey. It feels pretty good for a smallish keyboard, however it may be a tad too big if you want a similar footprint to the LPK25.

Instead of ditching the LPK25 completely I now I use my LPK25 for effect's and the Microkey for playing and it works out well 8)

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:59 pm

here in germany is easy to try an instrument. we have 30 mdays money back @ thomann, a big music equipment seller. i can buy and try and send it back if its not my kind of equipment.

maybe u can do the same :)

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:54 pm

What do people feel about Fatar / Studio Logics? They have lovely weighted keys...

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:02 pm

I have the same issue. But my issue is that the LPK25 only allows transposition by octave, not by pitch step.
(I can't understand why this isn't a simple control on ANY keyboard or pad controller - my padKontrol doesn't allow it either. One has to set a scene to transpose, which is really stupid).

(Soome of the controllers allow you to do this through an Edit function, but it is still not useful for a live situation when you want to play in a key at the bottom of the Circle of Fifths....)

I realize that the workaround in Live is to use a pitch Midi device, but it still is a PITA.

Are there ANY Midi controllers that include step transposition as a hardware key?

login

Post by login » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:15 pm

a minonova, an ultranova or anything 49 keys iof you want to learn to play.

PErsonally I just want more control and some keys to audition sounds so I will get an Arturia Minilab, the best mini outthere IMHO.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:05 pm

I've been doing a bit of research. So far it looks like the Oxygen 25, the Impulse 25, and the new Novation LaunchKey will transpose in steps as well as octaves (the Impulse does, so I assume the Launchkey will as well)....

The Launchkey has sixteen pads, so you can sync it to a full drum rack...
It also has buttons to change MIDI channels, so you can control various instruments in live (by using the External Instrument device) by shifting MIDI channels.....

Akai doesn't seem to have any of these options, but I'll continue to research and RTFM when I can get my hands on one....