Who is really making music with an iphone or ipad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
pepezabala

Who is really making music with an iphone or ipad?

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 am

I don't have an iphone or an ipad, but since some time my mate is just playing with the kaossilator and a couple of other apps on his iphone instead of using a computer (his macbook exploded a couple of weeks ago).

I am really surprised about how versatile the phone is for making music. We are doing improv-style stuff and he is achieving great results. And the best, I am really jealous, he doesn't have to carry any equipment with himself.

I guess I will get an iphone as well and we throw away our computers. Two or three iphones and a couple of stompboxes should be enough to make any style of electronic music nowadays.

8O

Re: Who is really making music with an iphone or ipad?

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm

selurovlov wrote:i wouldnt buy an iphone or ipad. APPLE implants info in IOS updates to purposely give your previous devices poor battery life. so you are left to go buy the newer iphone or ipad. its dirty,sinful,disgusting. kinda brilliant i guess.
I heard that Apple implants info into HTC and Samsung updates to purposely give those devices poor battery life. so you are left to go buy an Apple device instead.

8O

Post by 8O » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:27 pm

pepezabala wrote:...he is achieving great results.
Guess that's what it boils down to.

footsy

Post by footsy » Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:28 pm

selurovlov wrote:i wouldnt buy an iphone or ipad. APPLE implants info in IOS updates to purposely give your previous devices poor battery life. so you are left to go buy the newer iphone or ipad. its dirty,sinful,disgusting. kinda brilliant i guess.

Yeah, um... That's actually Android. iOS does take information but not as much as Android, unless if you buy all your apps, then you get the same as any iOS. Soo... You're dumb.

I've played around with a few of these Apps, and my friend was saying how he's gonna buy some of the high end apps for his iPad. I've played around with some of them, and the earlier ones I've played around. It's neat, but I wouldn't rely on it to make music. More of just something to kill the time... I can understand using your iPad as a Midi controller, not really you're iPhone because it's just too tiny... it'd get annoying (I'd suspect)

What are some of the Apps he has?
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:22 pm

It's pretty amazing and neat at first how powerful some of these $1 apps really are for iOS. I like using the iPhone or Ipad for sketching out quick ideas while out and about, and then bringing them back into the studio to fine tune later on.

While you CAN write complete tracks with a lot of these apps, it does get a LITTLE tedious having to do so on a smaller screen sometimes. Not sure I'd want to only rely on that unless I had no other choice.

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:27 pm

:lol:

If only Apple provided some sort of apparatus by which you could plug it into a wall socket to recharge it. I’m on my 347th iPhone because I toss them once the battery dies which in some cases is minutes after I take it out of the box.

Android has ingeniously solved this problem by making the latest OS incompatible with over half the current phones on the market so you don’t even have the option to upgrade which alleviates a lot of frustration.

:x

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:39 pm

iPad with a camera connector kit is compatible with a fair amount of USB midi controllers and some audio interfaces (can even power a few up on its own!).

Just that thought always blows my mind haha.

I think there is even one app that tries utilizing the APC 40. (Of course, that Does need to be plugged in)

With AudioBus recently coming out, it just keeps getting more and more ridiculous. For music performance, apple's iOS hardware/software are years ahead of the game.

I am having a tricky time with something if anyone has advice. I'm using my iPhone with iRig midi (so the connector is being used), and would like to have a clean audio input via the phono jack. I see a lot of products that make use of it. Some for instrument (guitar), some for mic. I'm not sure what product would give me the best results if I intend to use regular line input. From my computer or whatever. (I understand that it would be mono)

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

hm, I just experienced that my mate could program and perform beats on the fly with the sounds of most of the classic drum machines. improvise with the kaossilator over it. apps were synced, even between two devices, automatically on the fly.

Yesterday night I played guitar and he played iphone and ipad, and it was more spontaneous and satisfying thatn tweaking live. It felt more like he was playing an instrument, actually, instead of sequencing Live.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:11 pm

pepezabala wrote:Yesterday night I played guitar and he played iphone and ipad, and it was more spontaneous and satisfying thatn tweaking live. It felt more like he was playing an instrument, actually, instead of sequencing Live.
lol that's awesome. \m/
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Theo Void

Post by Theo Void » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:21 pm

Animoog is literally one of the most awesome synths I have (and I have a shitload.) I wish they would make it a VST

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:24 pm

the most funny part is when he is doing those synth solos by rubbing his nose over the touchpad, haha.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:24 pm

I mean you can play these thingies actually with any part of your body ...

crumhorn

Post by crumhorn » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:37 pm

The bass player in Muse has got what looks like an iPad integrated into his guitar in this video (close up at 1:19) -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6XiGn_niOY

Anybody recognize the app?
"The banjo is the perfect instrument for the antisocial."

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Who is making music with an Android device?

Anybody?

:P :lol: :x