Sound design and writing. Separate, joined? What do you do?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aioffermann

Re: Sound design and writing. Separate, joined? What do you do?

Post by aioffermann » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:11 am

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:Yes everyone have their own methods :!:

To me, that seems not really time efficient.
You re spending a week to create sounds, that at the end might not work well together. Moreover, while designing the sounds, you could have some inspiration to place your new sound in a riff or a beat, and passed on that occasion.

Maybe good if you are working on a sample pack :mrgreen:
Hahaha yea. Well, I'm going to give it a go and report back. A week spent experimenting is a week well spent if you ask me. I'm more for creative exploration than tangible productivity at the moment.

And if it doesn't work, maybe I just need to consolidate the two ideas and design sounds while writing while still keeping earnest about filling up the velocity/note range of each instrument.

Also I should perhaps note that all my drums come from recordings that take up the whole frequency spectrum as they're field recordings.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:17 am

I've spent weeks procrastinating, so one week of sound design is not a waste of time :wink:

Good luck in your project and report back!

cmockett

Post by cmockett » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:49 am

i usually try to keep them separate, but cant help combining the two- inspiration is a two way street between those two elements if you ask me!

Evengy

Post by Evengy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 am

You re spending a week to create sounds, that at the end might not work well together. Moreover, while designing the sounds, you could have some inspiration to place your new sound in a riff or a beat, and passed on that occasion.

i think it´s more a method of experienced sound designers. i tried the other way around... writing a loop/mainpart/chords/bass/melody with a piano only and then i load operator and start to create my own sounds from scratch. so i learn a lot about writing without giving me a direction because of presets and i learn real sound design from scratch in a musical context. i worked a long time with presets, a bit of tweaking and writing a loop with that but the sounds/presets restricts me so i try another way.

if the piano works together with chords, bass, melody etc. its only a matter of designing the right sounds because i concentrate more on the groove. think about it like a whole track as a midi file (with or without BASIC piano drums).

i hope that helps!

david.barker

Post by david.barker » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:50 am

d.reamonn wrote:
david.barker wrote:Im still learning computer based music,but I tend to write my ideas down,kind of story board
have a folder on the desktop,and put all my stuff in there :D

I tend to work from that designing sounds,that fit togehter,and usually have 3 versions going,before I decide on the final one

Tweaking the sounds,moving stuff ,automating,the usual suspects, :lol:

I usually land up with a test MP3 to listen to,before uploading onto Soundcloud :D
If I may interject, sir, you sure ain't fucking about.
Sure,although this is a kind of hobby for me,I have invested a lot of money and time,into something which I like a lot..
I started years back with Reason,creating sounds and got the bug from there
If I had the money I would like to do a proper course and hone my skills even further,he,he
I found my corner,as I like to produce ambient sounds,dark,etc :D
Dell Optilplex 9010,Windows Pro 10 10 64 bit .16GB ram, Intel i5 3570 chip,@ 3'40GHz 4 cores
1TB SSD main drive, external drive 6TB SSD for various Kontakt libraries

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdavemusic

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 pm

Evengy wrote:

i think it´s more a method of experienced sound designers. i tried the other way around... writing a loop/mainpart/chords/bass/melody with a piano only and then i load operator and start to create my own sounds from scratch. so i learn a lot about writing without giving me a direction because of presets and i learn real sound design from scratch in a musical context. i worked a long time with presets, a bit of tweaking and writing a loop with that but the sounds/presets restricts me so i try another way.

if the piano works together with chords, bass, melody etc. its only a matter of designing the right sounds because i concentrate more on the groove. think about it like a whole track as a midi file (with or without BASIC piano drums).

i hope that helps!
Yes that s a good idea, the piano is a great composition tool.

Destro

Post by Destro » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:05 pm

Here are two great replies to your question:

http://www.musicsoftwaretraining.com/bl ... ngwriting/
(Author: Jason Timothy)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_JReiE1uFk
(Author: DJ Vespers)

Inspiring stuff.