Ableton 909 Cirklon sync weirdness

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
monsoonmoon

Ableton 909 Cirklon sync weirdness

Post by monsoonmoon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm

hello there.

something is really bugging me..

i have my 909 (slave) hooked up to my cirklon sequencer (master) using din sync.

i have ableton (slave) hooked up to my cirklon (master) using either midi timecode or midi clock.

the ableton metronome, cirklon sequence (trigging another synth) and 909 all 'sound' spot on.. tight.

when i record my 909 for example into ableton with the metronome running (all still slaved from my cirklon), the 909 sounds totally lined up to ableton. i can record for 2 or 3 minutes and it all sounds good.

BUT.. when i then playback recorded 909 file it doesn't line up with ableton any more.. how can this be? i've tried importing this file into a new ableton als without any warping and the tempo set correctly yet its the same problem.

can someone help me to understand what is going on!!??

i really want to start making music using my new hardware, all synced from the cirklon.. but i perform livesets using ableton. so if nothing that i record is going to be bang on in ableton then i'm a bit screwed.

thanks!

chapelier fou

Re: Ableton 909 Cirklon sync weirdness

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:20 pm

Sounds like audio latency to me...
What soundcard ? What buffer size ? Do you set monitor to auto ? Did you change track delays ?
This kind of stuff....
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

monsoonmoon

Post by monsoonmoon » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:33 pm

don't think its related to latency.. i've set the buffer/mid clock sync delay appropriately so that playback is totally tight.
there are no track delays in my project..

its all synced during recording, and it starts in sync when the recording is played back but drifts out after a half a dozen bars.. not by a mile but totally noticeable.

doesn't make any sense to me

i just tested it the other way round (ableton as the master) and the recording lines up perfect with ableton's metronome..

and i also just recorded a straight kick drum from my mpc into wavelab at 125bpm, then imported this into ableton. after 30 seconds it just starts drifting out of sync with ableton.

so 125bpm in ableton doesn't equal 125 bpm in my mpc. is that normal? is it to be expected that independently, 2 pieces of midi gear wouldn't sync up in this way? could it be my midi interface? or is the ableton clock just shit?

or am i missing something obvious?

monsoonmoon

Post by monsoonmoon » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:16 pm

this monster post pretty much answered all my questions..

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electron ... ughts.html

demi.sos

Post by demi.sos » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:23 pm

sent you a DM - hoping this finds you well
monsoonmoon wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:10 pm
hello there.

something is really bugging me..

i have my 909 (slave) hooked up to my cirklon sequencer (master) using din sync.

i have ableton (slave) hooked up to my cirklon (master) using either midi timecode or midi clock.

the ableton metronome, cirklon sequence (trigging another synth) and 909 all 'sound' spot on.. tight.

when i record my 909 for example into ableton with the metronome running (all still slaved from my cirklon), the 909 sounds totally lined up to ableton. i can record for 2 or 3 minutes and it all sounds good.

BUT.. when i then playback recorded 909 file it doesn't line up with ableton any more.. how can this be? i've tried importing this file into a new ableton als without any warping and the tempo set correctly yet its the same problem.

can someone help me to understand what is going on!!??

i really want to start making music using my new hardware, all synced from the cirklon.. but i perform livesets using ableton. so if nothing that i record is going to be bang on in ableton then i'm a bit screwed.

thanks!