Sonicstate Namm Push up close

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
krizgainz

Re: Sonicstate Namm Push up close

Post by krizgainz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 am

Last edited by krizgainz on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

csuke

Post by csuke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:43 am

Tone Deft wrote: from a different Push thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WonRC4w8nQo
This lad Jeremy probably scored an A+ in typing class.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:24 pm

I bet all his assignments in school just looked like this:

"jhsfjhasdlfbwrfhlraeibfakklrvsdv.bfjkbsdfljkvbasdflkjbvacmxnbvlaebfvlihrgtiaurwhiobsiyzebaiuchos
lahsdjhfdalsjhvbafvljkhslcjkvhsdlvhlsdfh j j j j j jj j ;KShdfjklhsdfljkhsfdljgKHjlkghfldjghljshgljhglhzlh
sjdhfljkshdlJKHVljshvuixchviuekfanvlafSHvuHVIU :kF:Hvipruhegopuhwvo;nds;fnds:Ocn;oSDVNho;SVDNS
sjhdflzhsvljhzdfljhvzjvhzfdkjvnldzfbhv;fdznb;in ;zdin;ofnibzl;knkjlkvhbzdulifhbvidfzlhblzdbnjzknbljknv
jdshfljkshdvljSHVlurhughvihbvmznbsvmnbf,vbuvbrpihrvphpvhprvrvr

(glitchy drum break here)

skjdfljkshdfljkSHDljkhSljkhgljkhvljkhsfvljkhfgljkhfljkghjlFSHlshdvkBKDvDSKJVBjhsdlvjhSFGLkjhv;iuhvruirhtiguh:VF
sjHflKJHVbkjbrv;rbv;rbvr;bv;Rv;bv;brv;unrb;jnjkrhgLJKHfgljkHFgiusphaiudhgbvlknjkvnblkjznbljkz ;dfhgpnb;er "

beats me

Post by beats me » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:53 pm

I think most people who were/are excited about Push needed little more than a picture of it. Nothing wrong with that, but I don’t think it’s going to have the adoption rate of the APC40, something that was sorely needed at the time to control Live’s unique features and layout.

csuke

Post by csuke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 pm

Tarekith wrote:I bet all his assignments in school just looked like this:

"jhsfjhasdlfbwrfhlraeibfakklrvsdv.bfjkbsdfljkvbasdflkjbvacmxnbvlaebfvlihrgtiaurwhiobsiyzebaiuchos
lahsdjhfdalsjhvbafvljkhslcjkvhsdlvhlsdfh j j j j j jj j ;KShdfjklhsdfljkhsfdljgKHjlkghfldjghljshgljhglhzlh
sjdhfljkshdlJKHVljshvuixchviuekfanvlafSHvuHVIU :kF:Hvipruhegopuhwvo;nds;fnds:Ocn;oSDVNho;SVDNS
sjhdflzhsvljhzdfljhvzjvhzfdkjvnldzfbhv;fdznb;in ;zdin;ofnibzl;knkjlkvhbzdulifhbvidfzlhblzdbnjzknbljknv

skjdfljkshdfljkSHDljkhSljkhgljkhvljkhsfvljkhfgljkhfljkghjlFSHlshdvkBKDvDSKJVBjhsdlvjhSFGLkjhv;iuhvruirhtiguh:VF
sjHflKJHVbkjbrv;rbv;rbvr;bv;Rv;bv;brv;unrb;jnjkrhgLJKHfgljkHFgiusphaiudhgbvlknjkvnblkjznbljkz ;dfhgpnb;er "
Ha !

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:01 pm

I bet NI hates seeing Jeremy Ellis so excited about the competition.
I really like PUSH more and more,

it's what the APC40 should have been, sort of.

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:10 pm

As happy as I am to see Ableton finally embrace drumRacks and composing in such a manner, I find it really odd they did not also take the time to build in a default mono sequencer style of thing.
Or like a dedicated mode for sequencing synths.
I get it that you can create a workaround of sorts, but it seems like a missed opportunity, and if there's any thing to learn from the APC40, I imagine that future updates to PUSH will be determined by the user community per scripting and M4L.

In one of the videos Dennis says something about future updates for PUSH,
I hope thats legitimate.
That would make me feel more like they are really treating this thing like and instrument, not so much like an expendable laptop with a 3 year lifespan at most.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:54 pm

Nah. NI has to love the promotion from several angles.

1. I'm sure Ableton Live itself helps sell NI software.
2. Push and Maschine could definitely complement each other! (Though, not necessarily Ellis's controller-per-hand style, different sized pads would be confusing!)
3. If people look up Jeremy Ellis. They will see all the other products he has used (Reason, Akai product, NI Maschine). That will be promotion in a way :)

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:05 pm

yur2die4 wrote:1. I'm sure Ableton Live itself helps sell NI software.
never thought of it that way,
perspective changed,
thank you

csuke

Post by csuke » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:13 pm

In the video it seems like Jeremy Ellis has been playing the PUSH for years. I guess that's how talented he is with any device in front of him. Also, I was watching the livestream of the PRESONUS stage. There was a lad playing Maschine as a drum set. Awesome ! It really sounded like a real drummer.

pucklermuskau

Post by pucklermuskau » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:15 pm

@JuanSOLO, if you want a mono synth step sequencer, just make one in a drum rack, and then you can use the push step sequencer to control it. Or, if you'd rather not build the notes individually for the synth, you should be able to route the midi from a drum rack track into another track with a synth.
i drop on the lokeymassive

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:38 pm

pucklermuskau wrote:@JuanSOLO, if you want a mono synth step sequencer, just make one in a drum rack, and then you can use the push step sequencer to control it. Or, if you'd rather not build the notes individually for the synth, you should be able to route the midi from a drum rack track into another track with a synth.
I get that fer sure,
what I am saying is it seems they are missing an opportunity at exposing that, or developing it further in that specific manner.
For example, in this "workaround" the step sequencer rows work in a "pitch" fashion.
Same with the pads, they each play a pitch.
Ideally you would have 32 steps, and by holding a step you could edit 8 parameters per step using the 8 knobs, like p-locks.
I have modded the new MonoSequencer M4L device to do just that with my APC40 and it's a lot of fun.
That said, you could also build a midi effects rack for each cell that had the pitch, velocity, duration to make this work with native devices, yet thats kind of overkill and sort of a pain to manage, but somewhat flexible and offering the opportunity for some crazy sequencing per "cell."
It would have been nice to see a dedicated "mode" coded into the script for PUSH which performed mono/poly sequencing in that clip of the selected midi track.

I could be wrong, but I believe you are still limited in how the API access notes in the clip.
For example, you have to get/replace all notes in the clip to make changes, so you cant really do realtime settings of duration per note from a controller.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:41 pm

I bet all his assignments in school just looked like this:

I laughed out loud

I'm interested to get my hands on Push. The local DJ shop should be getting one as soon as they've available stateside, and they said they'd be having a demo ~3 weeks after that (per Ableton's request), so hopefully I'll be able to get a poke sometime soonish

The thing that I didn't realize until I saw these videos was just how BIG the thing is - it looks like it's almost as big as the APC40 minus the wings.

Will have to rejigger my desk setup - it looks like ti's best played right in front of you, but that's where my typing and MIDI keyboards currently live.

krizgainz

Post by krizgainz » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:43 pm

Last edited by krizgainz on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

csuke

Post by csuke » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:15 pm

I can see now JEREMY ELLIS with the MPC,Maschine,and Push all in his performance setup. But, I would find it awkward using all 3 with different feel and sensitivity on the pads.I'm sure it would be no problem for him.