Bitwait....I mean Bitwig

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CR78

Bitwait....I mean Bitwig

Post by CR78 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:06 am

Live will be well into 9 before BW 1.0 even appears...and 2.0?!!.....................................zz.....................................

http://youtu.be/qeH0i-M0tC0

sdfak1234

Re: Bitwait....I mean Bitwig

Post by sdfak1234 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 pm

rather wait for Bitwig to fulfill their promises than wait for Ableton to promise nothing and deliver nothing. + so much for Bitwig being vaporware, really looking forward to it, they have clearly identified what is wrong with Live and that makes me have more faith in them than Ableton.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:59 am

Not sure what to make of the video

Feels kind of phoned in. :/

Trying not to judge before I get my hands on it, but I'm not terribly impressed just yet

Guy giving the interview doesn't feel like he buys it

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:03 am

sticking with my release date prediction: 6/13...what seemed generous last fall now seems a maybe impossible deadline

still waiting for my beta callback, there hasnt been an email word of any kind in months

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:49 am

agent314 wrote:Not sure what to make of the video

Feels kind of phoned in. :/

Trying not to judge before I get my hands on it, but I'm not terribly impressed just yet

Guy giving the interview doesn't feel like he buys it
Hold on, are you suggesting that the interviewer doesn't believe the guy? I'm sorry that doesn't make any sense... I don't understand where this is coming from, I have never in my whole 20 years of computer music seen a developer be dishonest about features, software development doesn't work like that. Obviously the app in practice remains to be seen, but if it does what is promised (no reason not to think it won't) then it's going to be great, it will do at minimum what Ableton does and a bunch of other things, it sounds like they are following a very smart development procedure... and don't forget, now that Live 9 is basically a lemon, they need not rush, they could wait another year and still blow Ableton out of the water. The guy has claimed it will be released this year, I believe him, no reason no to. Bitwig doesn't need to come out before Live 9?? it's better to come out when it's ready.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:59 am

Hold on, are you suggesting that the interviewer doesn't believe the guy?
No, I'm saying the guy interviewee doesn't seem like he's particularly jazzed about it.

Seems like he's rattling off a features list from a memo he got about the software, rather than being barely able to contain his excitement about the project, which is what I would want to see from a bunch of upstarts trying to make their splash in the industry.

Could just be the dude was a poor choice for pitchman for it and someone else would have made a better impression
don't forget, now that Live 9 is basically a lemon,
I dunno about you, but I'm loving the beta. Bummer that the new stuff isn't doing anything for you - I am enjoying so many of the things they've added in 9, that going back to 8 feels like a surprisingly huge step backwards in what I can do and how I can get my ideas out, considering the fact that up until a few weeks ago I was using it every day with no complaints

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 am

agent314 wrote:
Hold on, are you suggesting that the interviewer doesn't believe the guy?
No, I'm saying the guy interviewee doesn't seem like he's particularly jazzed about it.

Seems like he's rattling off a features list from a memo he got about the software, rather than being barely able to contain his excitement about the project, which is what I would want to see from a bunch of upstarts trying to make their splash in the industry.

Could just be the dude was a poor choice for pitchman for it and someone else would have made a better impression
don't forget, now that Live 9 is basically a lemon,
I dunno about you, but I'm loving the beta. Bummer that the new stuff isn't doing anything for you - I am enjoying so many of the things they've added in 9, that going back to 8 feels like a surprisingly huge step backwards in what I can do and how I can get my ideas out, considering the fact that up until a few weeks ago I was using it every day with no complaints

The guy being interviewed is German, I don't know if you've met Germans before but they don't jump up and down, in fact I think you'll find all development groups like that behave the same way, go to NAMM or Musikmesse and practically everyone has the same mannerism, the real nerds do anyway, if you want a glossy pitch, look to Yamaha or one of the mainstream groups. Small dedicated developers like that are always the best, Ableton was like that in the beginning, back when they were good, by the way when you call Bitwig upstarts, you may want to remember that they were part of the original Ableton development team.

Also I've got to say, it didn't look like he was rattling off features to me, it didn't even look like that was his intent, he was answering a direct question. He isn't a 'pitchman', he said he's a developer and musician. He wasn't pitching anything, it was an interview, and he answered every question well. Bitwig doesn't strike me as an app that needs a hard sell, this is a groundroots product that is intended to sell itself, there are different types of software, some developers have to blag it, others don't.

The Live 9 beta to me is an insult to the people that waited for it's release, and 8 was insult before that (unstable)... no automation compensation, filling in features that should've been done a long time ago, no innovation... this is the key thing, Ableton has basically been coasting on the same core app that was probably written by Bitwig developers in the first place, in the time it took to release 9, I personally could've written Ableton Live from scratch on my own. They are exploiting the fact that they have no competitors. They do now. Bitwig looks infinitely more modern and forward thinking, and accommodating to the new needs of audio professionals.

You shouldn't be underestimating Bitwig based on how much you like Ableton Live.
Last edited by sdfak1234 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:11 am

for me Bitwig is like "Duke3D" It neede around 10 years after announcment, and it failed.

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:13 am

Timbeaux wrote:for me Bitwig is like "Duke3D" It neede around 10 years after announcment, and it failed.
Except it's nowhere near 10 years after announcement. This nonsense about waiting (a year BTW) is because people expect to get their beta keys... the video clearly suggests that their beta circles are small at the moment, it doesn't mean the app doesn't exist... It took 3 years for the 8 > 9 live update. if they were to knock out an app like that in 3 years I would be impressed, it's nowhere near that.

I do not understand where this idea comes from, it's like a meme that someone threw out and everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, there is no reason to believe Bitwig is vaporware, none what so ever, just some Ableton fanatic who suggested it. Maybe Bitwig shouldn't have done the 'coming soon' graphic because people obviously have different ideas about what 'soon' denotes for a brand new piece of software.

J0n35y

Post by J0n35y » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 am

Cool your jets sdfak1234, you're coming across as someone who has serious "fanboy" issues. Reminds me of the clowns you read on IGN. "Xbox rulz!" "No it sucks because it only has x amount of ram, PS3 is dope", etc etc.

You seem to like Bitwig a great deal which is fine, I don't care for it to be hoenst, but bitching about other peoples comments on an Ableton forum of all places just makes you look like a bit of a twat.

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 am

loads of people thought Bitwig was Live 9, and the reason they thought that is because Bitwig looks like what you'd expect a product as mature as Ableton to be.

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:35 am

So let me get this straight, the Ableton forum is only for people who like Ableton? I absolutely do have a problem with fanboys, because they delude themselves into thinking Live is just fine... by the way, you may want to compare my join date to yours before you start throwing out such comments... I've been with Ableton since the beginning, I have every right to say what I want to say, because I didn't start using it last year. Bitching about others peoples comments?? so it's all praise on the Ableton forum huh?
Last edited by sdfak1234 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:36 am

come back to this thread in 2014 and we'll see how people feel about Live.

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:37 am

cool your jets ha

sdfak1234

Post by sdfak1234 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:51 am

J0n35y wrote: You seem to like Bitwig a great deal which is fine, I don't care for it to be hoenst, but bitching about other peoples comments on an Ableton forum of all places just makes you look like a bit of a twat.
It hasn't even been released you moron. You're the one judging it before it's been released. I don't "like" it, it's not out yet, I will reserve my judgement which is what I think everyone should do.... "I don't care for it to be hoenst" WTF?? brain dead.