Automating Drum Rack Macros

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bobland

Automating Drum Rack Macros

Post by bobland » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:54 pm

I've got a drum rack with 3 chains. I can automate the chains but I'd like to automate the 3 main drum rack macros. I can automate one macro with an envelope clip but don't know if it's possible to use multiple envelope clips on the same clip. I haven't figured out how use anything else for this automation. I'm guessing there are other ways of doing this but none come to mind. Evenutally, I will be adding a lot more chains.

Any ideas?

synnack

Re: Automating Drum Rack Macros

Post by synnack » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:06 pm

Not sure if I 100% understand you. But i think you're just asking if you can automate more than one macro knob on a rack in the same clip. Of course you can. Just select the other macro from the drop down chooser on the screen where you draw clip envelopes.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

bobland

Post by bobland » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:27 pm

I just discovered that! Is there a way to set a default "0" setting in the middle of the knob so that placing the knob at 64 would read "0" and be centered so I could double click the knob and it would always return to "0?"

synnack

Post by synnack » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:41 pm

bobland wrote:I just discovered that! Is there a way to set a default "0" setting in the middle of the knob so that placing the knob at 64 would read "0" and be centered so I could double click the knob and it would always return to "0?"
Not exactly. It depends on the parameter if it behaves that way. Like if you map the pan of a chain (that already defaults to 0) to a macro knob, then select that knob and hit del key. It will default to 64 as you'd want. But if you map something else like the volume of that chain, then it defaults to 0 as you'd want. It depends on the parameter but as far as I know there's no way for you to manually change that.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud