Help me use native Ableton plugs to sound like Reasons

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delegatetheclan

Help me use native Ableton plugs to sound like Reasons

Post by delegatetheclan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 am

So I have been using Ableton Live for about 2.5 years. I really love the workflow, but recently I have been playing with my old copy of Reason again and WOW! Is it just me or does Reason just have a certain gritty swagger to its sound, I love it. I have tried a bunch of VSTs with Ableton, but I didn’t really like to workflow with third party stuff so I just prefer to stick to Ableton’s native plugs. I have all my plugs (the ones that can be) set to “hi quality” and my Simpler volumes are at 0.0 DB (and every other hi-quality setting you can give to Ableton), but I just can’t get that same gritty punchy sound. For example, in Reason I take my Redrum and reroute through a spider to have two signal copies through the mixer and put a Scream device on the second drum signal and Boom! In ableton I use the Compressor, Saturator, and Overdrive in a send effect (in every combo known to man), but it just doesn’t have that same juicy feel. Could you guys give me any tips, with only using Live’s built in fx, on how to get some “swagger” (for lack of a better word) to my sound.

Thanks.

Winterpark

Re: Help me use native Ableton plugs to sound like Reasons

Post by Winterpark » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:19 am

Parallel FX chains in Racks will do the same as the Spider.
or you could just rewire Reason in...
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

delegatetheclan

Post by delegatetheclan » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:26 am

Rewire is the biggest headache in the world! lol. I know about parrallel stuff, nested racks, etc. But its just still not getting me their. I eq and layer in Ableton as I do in Reason too. Is it just better DSP algorithms in the fx department?

pgmjsd

Post by pgmjsd » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:54 am

delegatetheclan wrote:Rewire is the biggest headache in the world! lol. I know about parrallel stuff, nested racks, etc. But its just still not getting me their. I eq and layer in Ableton as I do in Reason too. Is it just better DSP algorithms in the fx department?
I dunno. I've found ReWire to be very easy to set up. Just use External Instrument. I find Live to be more logical. I use reason less and less often as I find better sample libraries for Live and get more into programming Operator and Analog. If I can't get some sound, I ReWire and sample.