When did it happen - your first inspiration?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
balonny

When did it happen - your first inspiration?

Post by balonny » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:02 pm

I find this intriguing and worthy asking, as due to inspiration we create and make something and without it
it's or very hard or almost impossible, put aside the tech assistance available nowadays when compared with many years ago..
In my case it happened when I was 14, 15 years old and going back from school, not on one but on multiple occasions, simply when walking back home...To be honest I was a bit surprised, as there would be that melody in my mind .... well coming out of ...err I don't know - nowhere, or that's how it seamed then... Now I laugh at all of it, but really had some doubts I was going mad or something, before I had it figured out....

How did it happen to you, did it happen???
:roll: :mrgreen:
Constantly moving borders - Lapis Tertius a Sole
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQl5Vt4l9bk

Angstrom

Re: When did it happen - your first inspiration?

Post by Angstrom » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:59 pm

I'd like to say it was when I heard Reproduction by The Human League it sounded like the future. But it was more likely when I heard Eric Clapton play some old tired smacked-out rubbish and people were calling it genius, I though " fuck me, I could probably wing this"

balonny

Post by balonny » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:54 pm

:mrgreen:
Last edited by balonny on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

c33

Post by c33 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:36 am

It wasn't really one specific moment for me either. Music was always my first love. I might've started singing before I started talking (although I'm pretty sure I always loved doing plenty of both). But I don't think I ever really planned or had much of a desire to write my own songs.. they just started flooding into my life when I was around 20..21 years old and going through a lot of stuff. Quite a few of the early ones ended up getting married to melodies I composed and played at the piano growing up. So I guess I sorta started writing those songs years before, I just didn't know that's what I was doing.
Last edited by c33 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

AustinThumper

Post by AustinThumper » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:45 am

OK, I'll play. I think the game is to name an early "a-ha!" moment..

For me it was walking home, noticing the expansion joints in the sidewalk occurred every 7 steps. Made for a nice odd meter cadence (ya, Ima drummer.) A walking metro object, if you will... I had a nice long stretch to go, so I could develop these walking jams. OK, maybe a little OT here.. but..

(me? first post here. Recent Live 8 Suite buyer, upgrade to 9 w/ M4L is my main interest).

Windows 7/32, Motu 828mk2, 4xmackie hr824, sonor drums, zildjian cyms, roland handsonic, panart hang...

But how does all this relate to tech support? (my guess is, you have had one or more poor experiences with ?)

Peace, out.
Live 9.6 Suite / Max 7.2 / REAPER / Reaktor 6 / Win10 64bit / 4.2GHz i7 / 32GB DRAM / SSD / 828mk3 / 4 x HR824 / QX25 / HPD-15 / Sonor club kit / Mother-32 and a growing Eurorack.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:06 am

For me it wasn't so much music as sound. I always was concious of how things sounded differently in different environments, or depending on the playback device. Music just sort of evolved from that for me, since I learned that was the most direct way to shape what we hear.

In terms of moments when it all sort of clicked, for me there are two:

- Around 17 years old and listening to the track "download" by Skinny Puppy in my bedroom. Never drank, did drugs or anyting like that at that point, but i had the most surreal out of body experience and knew I had to figure out how they made those sounds. Still don't know :)

- The second was the first time I heard Ritchie Hawtin play early in my raving days (1997?). It was right when he was getting into his whole decks, efx and 909 phase so a lot of it was fresh and off the cuff. Honestly a lot more spontaneous and inventive than his stuff now. 4-8AM under these bleachers in the middle of nowhere Illinois (Even Further 3?), and he had hundreds of people at his beck and call on the dancefloor. First time I ever experienced that sort of connection between a performer and his audience, and I knew I wanted a part of it, no matter how long it took me, or how small a part it was. :)

Strangely, I found a recording of that very show just last year in some random backwoods online. And while listening to all 4 hours of it I could remember exactly when I made that conclusion, and laughing that it wasn't even a very good song playing at the time. LOL

balonny

Post by balonny » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:08 am

AustinThumper wrote: I had a nice long stretch to go, so I could develop these walking jams.
That's what I'm talking 'bout. It happens to some people while walking, steps and similar cases,
I'm also getting "stuff" while jogging..That's the reason I sometimes don't wear my mp3 to clear my mind and "make some space" :mrgreen: :roll:

Guess what, there was no response at all, so my guess was people don't care about inspiration, ALL THEY DO is to relay
on software to make music..

c33

Post by c33 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:58 am

balonny wrote: Guess what, there was no response at all, so my guess was people don't care about inspiration, ALL THEY DO is to relay
on software to make music..
Bad guess! And "there was no response at all" to what? This thread?

balonny

Post by balonny » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:04 am

One never knows, so better to say it - good or bad.
Not shy person and have no problems to say what I want. :wink:

c33

Post by c33 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:17 am

Maybe I'm just not understanding you? People are responding and sharing some of the things that initially inspired them to create music. Not sure how that equates to people not caring about inspiration. *shrugs*

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:26 am

A lot of early 90s rap records. Kriss Kross Jump comes right to mind I loved that beat when I was 8 or 9 years old. That caught my interest but the songs that really made me want to create were off Jay-Z's the blueprint. There were some other albums too but The Blueprint really got me hooked on the idea of production. I still think those beats were amazing in particular Song Cry.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:02 pm

Eddie Van Halen's gratuitously long solo (the "316" track) on "Live: Right Here, Right Now". I would record it back to back, on both sides of a cassette tap, so I could just keep listening to it. And then I knew then that I wanted to play guitar. So I got a guitar and played rock and metal and stuff, and took lessons. Music "theory" blew my mind, and so I took all of the theory classes at my university as electives, because I just fell in love with it. Analyzing a Bach sonata wasn't a 'homework project', it was 'great balls of fun'.

So yeah, basically Eddie Van Halen's guitar got me on the path to playing guitar, and then that opened the door to music theory, and let opened the door to putting it all together and 'music' being the single most fun and fulfilling 'hobby' anyone could ever ask for.

balonny

Post by balonny » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:31 pm

Amazing story SpeedKing.
Thanks for sharing!!

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:07 am

For me I would have to say it's "always been there" as from an early age I was always raiding my parents cassettes and records.

I was fascinated at how it all worked from just 7 and would always be trying to pull apart the radios in the house to look at the cassette decks and boards. I would have to say though that my spark really started when I discovered how to connect the headphone port from my commodore 64 monitor to the MIC input on my stereo (given to me by my grandfather). The stereo was one of those old top loading tape and record players with big knobs on the front. No line in or anything, just radio, tape, record and a mic input. I had tried connecting into the MIC before but it was mega distorted (which I did not understand at 7) but when I tried again one day with with an old speaker in parallel with the mic input it sounded perfect. I had discovered attenuation and was then able to record sounds from the TV set onto cassette which I could then play around with. This was my moment.

From there I started to build DJ mixers from old Atari paddle joysticks (the ones with the potentiometer knobs for breakout). I managed to figure out how these worked and started getting spare parts to make connectors and switches and had a fully functional passive 2ch mixer to mix 2 devices into the mic input. This started my interest in DJing and from there I built bigger more elaborate mixers in 4ch with faders, pre-amps, mic inputs etc through experimentation

In 1996 I was introduced to a program called Fasttracker II which allowed me to create music and muck around with samples and that is basically what interested me more than DJing parties so that is what started me on my current path and in the last 20 years almost I have done almost daily (at least weekly) sessions with music and audio and now am working with all kinds of creative people from all over which is rewarding to say the least.

Had I have thought 15 years ago that I could be using this as an actual business I would have focused more on learning an instrument or doing the studies which I am only now going through.

To me, music and audio is more than just something to listen to on the radio. As corny as it sounds it has really helped me through life as it's a way I can sometimes get things out when I am depressed or especially in the past when I have lost loved ones through horrific circumstances I would have to say that being able to lock myself away from the world for a few months and just focus on creating music really kept my mind from running away and driving me insane. Others here probably have similar experiences but my work in music is more than just a hobby or a profession, it's just part of who I am.

SlvrDragon50

Post by SlvrDragon50 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:02 am

When I saw Madeon's video of mashing up pop culture on the novation launchpad!

Then I started going to electronic shows and decided to impulse buy an APC40 :)