All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: When did it happen - your first inspiration?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:51 am 

I liked music, but it was mostly 70's rock and country I heard growing up.
I read up on punk in High Times magazine and was fascinated by it, but it was hearing Devo on some comedy show doing Gates of Steel and Girl U Want that made me want to write music, not just listen to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cadA5iANN2o

Plus Hardcore Punk music with it's attitude just getting out there and playing no matter how young you were helped. What pushed me over the edge was hearing Throbbing Gristle, Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd, the Residents, and meeting a local band that was doing really crazy industrial rock. My first serious band was inspired in part by Skinny Puppy as well.

My first melodies came to me in dreams.
Since then I hear melodies in my head all the time.

Post subject: Re: When did it happen - your first inspiration?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:55 am 

jestermgee wrote:
To me, music and audio is more than just something to listen to on the radio. As corny as it sounds it has really helped me through life as it's a way I can sometimes get things out when I am depressed or especially in the past when I have lost loved ones through horrific circumstances I would have to say that being able to lock myself away from the world for a few months and just focus on creating music really kept my mind from running away and driving me insane. Others here probably have similar experiences but my work in music is more than just a hobby or a profession, it's just part of who I am.

This part is amazing. The power that we all can drain from music, and music from us..
It is a two way road - so true, and a world of its own.. Yes there are others with similar experiences, but it takes guts to talk about such things, and you did it.