All times are UTC

Post subject: bi-directional midi controller
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:37 am 

Hi guys,
I tried to look around and I found just partials answers about a bidirectional controller connected to ableton (and also I am not a genius in finding answers on the net). I understood that so far ableton is not able to send any info to a controller (except launchpad and APCs) and so, the bidirectional comunication is not allowed.. Then, my stupid questions: will this feature be modified in the new ableton 9 ? Does exist any MaxForLive device (or anything I could do) which could help me in this purpose?
Thank you so
Erak

Post subject: Re: bi-directional midi controller
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:52 am 

Perhaps you might be referring to something else entirely, but currently all of my controllers that I use with Live have a bi-directional connection.

I'm using Maschine, an Avid Artist Control, and an iPad (TouchOSC/Lemur/V-Control etc). In every case when things are set up properly, my control surfaces are updated with any changes made within Live (via mouse & keyboard), or with any changes made by another controller (ex: Changing a track level with Maschine is reflected on the Artist Control and vice versa)....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:38 am 

OK..I didn't know that.. however I I was thinking about controllers like the bcr2000 .. do you think it is possible...??? It seems to me that there are different kinds of controllers.. I don't understand well the difference and if is just a controller stuff or also a software thing.. I don't see the where is the point actually and I'd like to understand better :)..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:22 pm 

nikpampa wrote:
OK..I didn't know that.. however I I was thinking about controllers like the bcr2000 .. do you think it is possible...???

Yes, the BCR/BCFs are working in both directions (send to /receive from LIVE)

Quote:
I don't understand well the difference and if is just a controller stuff or also a software thing.. I don't see the where is the point actually and I'd like to understand better :)..

I would say it mostly depends on the type of knobs, faders, ... on the midi controller:

Let's say, your midi controller has motorized faders (like the BCF) or endless encoders (BCF/BCR, ...).
When you change a (mapped) parameter in LIVE, the fader/encoder position on the controller will also be updated.

If you have a midi controller with 'absolute' knobs/faders (like the Nanokontrol), this won't happen.

Check out this video which might bring some insights about the differences: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UhlD3hLVf8

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:43 am 

Controllers that offer feedback are typically a "Control Surface" and selected as such in Ableton. A control surface is designed to give you direct control of something in the DAW but update it's controls from your project. A good example would be a Mackie Controller where all the faders control track volume and will move to what is displayed on screen. Knobs and buttons will control things like Pan and effects and their LEDs will show what is happening in real time. This is also true of devices like the BCF and BCR.

Why is it of any real use or worry?

Apart from looking really cool when the faders and leds start doing things by themselves (you are sure to impress your lady or man friend with that), it allows you to automate things much easier when you can just start tweaking without upsetting levels, especially when it comes time to rework something taht is already automated. It's also very nice to open a project and start with controlling things right where you left off without setting up controls.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:49 am 

great..
I don't know how, but I just found out wrong sentences about this bidirectional controlling.. happy about that..it's easier:)
thank you a lot