All times are UTC

Post subject: multiple channel recording to single input
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:00 pm 

Sorry if this is basic but I can't seem to find the answer online.

I'm running a live looping setup with multiple synths, Live 8, and an APC40. So I have 8 or so audio tracks that all have one input. I want to have all the synths routed to that one input for audio recording, but without using an external mixer to mix down to one channel prior to the signal reaching the audio interface.

I don't want to create a track for each synth that has monitor "in" and that routes to a mix track as the input for the loops, since this creates monitor vs. playback volume discrepancies. Additionally, I need exclusive arming to minimize the number of buttons I have to push in a live setting. I can't set Live to record from multiple inputs on each track, which would be the easiest solution.. finally, I need to be able to hear the monitor through the master out on a record-enabled track since I often play non-recorded phrases on top of whatever is looping.

Is there an easy way to mix down 3 input channels to 1 for purposes of recording within Live? i.e. I have audio coming in from ch1,2, and 3, and one track in live that somehow routes the 3 inputs to another input, while preserving the ability to auto-monitor on the new input even if monitor is set to off on the 3 original ones?

Currently I'm running synths > mixer > audio interface > computer, and would like to ditch the mixer.

Thanks
Dave

Post subject: Re: multiple channel recording to single input
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:43 pm 

Dave,

What are you using as a looper?

If you're using Ableton's Looper, you can set the input->output function to "never" to avoid a "double monitoring" situation.

I usually have all of my tracks (synths whatever) on their own track, taking care of real time monitoring (sending to my master), and then looper on a return track.

Now, when I want to feed something to the looper to capture something, I just turn up the send, no doubling takes place, and the loop kicks in when I'm done my pre-determined bar length.

You're thinking, mute the source tracks and let the looper monitor live stuff, but you're much better off doing it the other way around. My suggested way will mute the looper while it's recording and still allow the sound to flow normally from the source tracks' monitors.

Hopefully that helps, let me know

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:49 am 

Unfortunately I'm not using Ableton Looper, I'm recording new clips on the fly that I manage with the APC40. We switch back and forth between parts and have no pre-recorded clips, and often i'll be messing with the volume on individual tracks which is why I'd really prefer the monitoring on the record enabled track (since i'll know what volume it will be at in playback).

Perhaps this is more of an audio interface issue, like I'd need one with a bus channel assign onboard?

Thanks for the Looper suggestions though, haven't integrated this device too much since it's not primarily controlled by the APC, but will look into it. (Of course most live looping setups I've seen, using Looper or not, have all audio tracks record enabled which is problematic for me since I use Scene Launch quite a bit to switch between parts, which would launch record on every track..)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:13 am 

Ah damn, I can see how that would cause issues

I'm half way between old school and new school when it comes to methods - but switching to Looper helped out big time. Take a look at some of my live podcast videos and maybe something will click - http://marksbasementrecords.com

If any of what I'm doing might work or help your set up out, I'd be more than happy to send over some templates or explain methods.

Also, What audio interface do you use? My TASCAM US-800 has a driver I can load up to mute tracks and bus etc... Maybe you could find something like that which will work with yours?

Cheers