All times are UTC

Post subject: Gig Live - Vocal processin options hardware vs software/live
PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:23 pm 

My Electronica two piece have our first gig coming up soon.

The set up is me driving ableton with my controllers and my vocalist with her mic.

I'm trying to work out how best to handle the vocals for considering quality, clarity for singer to be able to hear themselves, fx, loops and manipulation.

As the singer is not tech minded I will be controlling all fx and loops etc whether we use hardware or software.

Originally I thought to just run the vocalists mic straight into my interface into ableton and out again. Then I remembered there is of course a delay and so the vocals will be a touch late.

My next thought is to have a splitter with dry cable/channel of vocals going to PA. The other going to my interface which can then handle fxs, (where the small delay I assume shouldn't be a problem) and if I loop anything I can have have that track delayed already so it syncs up fine.

In which case out of my sound card I could have my stereo out on 1 & 2 for instance and effected vocals come out 3 & 4. Perhaps I will keep looped vocals coming out 1 & 2, not sure.

Or I could have a small on stage mixer myself and be in control of levels and fx etc.

Just wondering how other go about this and what they recommend or recommend against?

I've heard it's best that the singer gets a clean feed of themselves through the monitors. I also have an awesome reverb fx pedal that I'd like to use.

Any advice would be much appreciated!