All times are UTC

Post subject: ALBUM vs. INDIVIDUAL TRACKS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:17 am 

Hey all,

Id like to get some feedback from some successful artists, or individuals who have some firsthand experience with this concept.

It seems like now with the proliferation of digital music software, everyone is putting out tracks.

when you are trying to make a career out of this, you gotta be aware of what tracks you put out. how many. how often. what labels. etc. But ive noticed that alot of artists now just release single tracks and never do a full album.

what are your thoughts about making a full album and releasing it, vs. releases tracks 1 by 1 as you make them?

Debate away!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: ALBUM vs. INDIVIDUAL TRACKS
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:33 am 

My unprofessional opinion on this is that an "album" is a collection of songs showing "where I am at right now", and is a more powerful statement in collection form. It's like a train station, an arbitrary locus to form as a focus for people to understand what you are trying to do. And although people may or may not buy all the tracks at once it shows how you are writing at a particular time so potential purchasers can understand where you were at. "This was my blue period"

Another point to consider is : Quite often music is an impulse purchase (if they aren't just looking for "that one particular song"), and in these impulse purchase cases my experience is that purchasers are just as likely to buy a collection (at 20% bulk saving) as they are a 'single'. At least my sparse figures tell me that.

However, I feel this makes more sense for certain musicians and styles over others. I think for a DJ type producer banging out tracks every two weeks specifically for the dancefloor ... it just doesn't make sense to release them all as an album. Perhaps they should be selling a "best of" collection later.
While for musicians who are making stuff with a bit more coherent depth and range it makes much more sense. Those 8 weird raps you did while on vacation in Mumbai, for example, make sense to be grouped together. Even if they aren't all bought as one it will show context.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:54 am 

wow. very true. it seems pretty obvious i guess but i never really thought of it that way.... what point are you trying to brand yourself as?

as club dj that just likes to play songs that people get drunk and dance to, or something a little more involved.

answers my question perfectly. good point about the bulk thing too. thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:58 pm 

Personally, I think the climate we live in musically, dictates the current shift. Since there are twice as many artist releasing music (more than ever) it forces artist to realease single, just to stay relevant. This is especially prevalent in Hip Hop. Ive been working on a Hip Hop Project for the past year, and have been very tempted to release a single, just so ppl could hear what ive been working on(even though the project is not finished). However, the total body of work will speak volumes once done, compared to a single that has fewer legs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:12 pm 

keydaking wrote:
Personally, I think the climate we live in musically, dictates the current shift. Since there are twice as many artist releasing music (more than ever) it forces artist to realease single, just to stay relevant. This is especially prevalent in Hip Hop. Ive been working on a Hip Hop Project for the past year, and have been very tempted to release a single, just so ppl could hear what ive been working on(even though the project is not finished). However, the total body of work will speak volumes once done, compared to a single that has fewer legs.

I like that. I mean as an artist and as a brand you are telling a story whether you like it or not. By your album art, your Facebook bands page, how you release tracks, etc. so you might as well tell the story right the first time around.... Because most people don't re-read books they didn't like the first time

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:58 pm 

I get frustrated when my favorite artists (mostly of the electronica ilk) only seem to release 3 or 4 singles a year, and that’s it. But the tracks are all quality. If that works best for them I’d much rather they do that than force out a full album with a bunch of filler meh tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:05 pm 

Personally I prefer to release 3-4 track EP's. Whenever I've tried to compile an album worth of music it just ends up sound like 12 tracks thrown together on a disc, and personally I like albums that play like.. well.. an album. If it doesn't have the coherence and flow that a traditional album does then I think it's better to split up into 2 or 3 EP's of 3-4 tracks that DO work together.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:51 pm 

TYLRbass wrote:
Personally I prefer to release 3-4 track EP's. Whenever I've tried to compile an album worth of music it just ends up sound like 12 tracks thrown together on a disc, and personally I like albums that play like.. well.. an album. If it doesn't have the coherence and flow that a traditional album does then I think it's better to split up into 2 or 3 EP's of 3-4 tracks that DO work together.

This is probably the most practical approach for me as we'll. especially since the music that I am making doesn't fall into the same genre or sound, and putting it all on an album would probably just confuse people

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:13 pm 

Since we are all postin on this site im guessing that we write the music, write the lyrics, record the instruments, record the vocals, mix and attempt to master it as well. When in reality ppl in the industry have someone to do at least 3/4 of the processes mentioned. By trying to be a one man band so to speak. It limits your creativity. Instead of thinking about lyrics, your spending time mixing or trying to get an instrument to sound good. If we relinquish some of the duties we would be able to focus on our given talent. I take the latter on this and would rather do EVERYTHING myself. It just feel better that way.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:44 pm 

I feel like full-lenght albums indeed need some kind of connection between the songs. I suppose if I have a lot of free time, there is more chance of me making another full-lenght. But right now I prefer to make EPs than LPs. Even so, my LPs have been 30minutes or so.
(I am a totally amateur musician - and have been for 10 years - this is a hobby and a chance at creation - and I love art.)