All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ableton's new Glue Compressor
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:55 pm 

I never really know what to listen for with compressors either, but I'm really enjoying the Glue so far.

Completely possible that it's all in my head and that there isn't really a significant difference between them, but even so, that's fine by me. I've been enjoying it a lot, and it's nice to have options :D

If there's one thing I definitely like about it that the native Compressor doesn't have, it's the Range parameter. It perfectly addresses the #1 problem I run into with compression, which is how flat and anemic things end up feeling due to peak loss.

I don't even know exactly what it's doing - like, if I had to articulate it to someone, I couldn't really come up with a meaningful description beyond the "it lets some peaks through/reduces the compression", but I like how it sounds and that's good enough for me

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm 

The Carpet Cleaner wrote:
How does the soft clipping work on this one? I see the original cytomic glue has a peak clip button, but there is no threshold. So how much does it clip?

Soft clipping in the Glue Compressor is the same as Peak clipping in the plugin. See both manuals.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:19 am 

I like premium plug ins in a native version in Live, I hope they add more stuff later, like Valhalla reverbs.

Honestly I hate to open VST windows, it kinds of breaks workflow so I just use 4 external synth's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:52 am 

funken wrote:
funken wrote:
mholloway wrote:
Could someone perhaps describe, in some detail, WHY the Glue is great? LIke, what are you hearing, what results are you getting with it, that you CAN'T get with the native Ableton compressor?

I'm not doubting, I'd just like to know.....

And please refrain from answers such as, "it sounds great" and "oh it's just better for bus comp than ableton's" because those, while common responses, don't actually tell me ANYTHING.....?

so, honestly, what makes this compressor better than any other compressor? what does it DO??

thanks!
-M

It glues. Eg makes drums sound more cohesive. Don't ask how, it's magic.

Reposted for the retarded

Totally out of line dude.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:15 am 

Shitstirrer stirs the shit, part 97. Don't miss this exciting episode as Shitstirrer stirs even more shit. The shitness will astound you! Marvel at the futility of the posts. Gasp at the awe inspiring hypocrisy!

Stringtapper is...the Shitstirrer.

Coming soon to a gutter near you.

Terms and restrictions may apply.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:30 am 

maybe it's just that the few presets for the glue in live9 are better than the presets of the old compressor, so one gets great instant results when dropping the glue on a drum track for example.

I also think that the reduced options on certain parameters help to not fiddle around too much.

and while mixing this actually helps a lot when you don't have to fiddle too much for good results. imho.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:06 am 

pepezabala wrote:
maybe it's just that the few presets for the glue in live9 are better than the presets of the old compressor, so one gets great instant results when dropping the glue on a drum track for example.

I also think that the reduced options on certain parameters help to not fiddle around too much.

and while mixing this actually helps a lot when you don't have to fiddle too much for good results. imho.

Very true. I often find a perfectly good setting for compressor but then can't settle on it because I've not tried tweaking this or that parameter yet and I fear there might be an "even better" setting that I'm missing out on.

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)