Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
deva
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by deva » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:40 pm

Buleriachk wrote:The reason I need a Push is because I have at least 20 fingers.... (last time I counted...)
Yeah, they sure wasted all those extra keys beyond 10 on the piano... :roll:

SuburbanThug
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am
Contact:

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 pm

deva wrote:
yur2die4 wrote:Man. This instrument argument is flat out ignorant.

Maschine can play chords and/or leads perfectly fine on its own. Although you probably would be better off playing one Or the other.
Actually, no it cannot. Lots of musical pieces require more than 1 octave plus a couple notes to play. There are very few orchestral instruments whose range is covered by 16 notes.

Maschine is not designed to be an expressive instrumental controller. It also has no modwheel or ribbon control which is something basic included on any controller intended for that purpose. It is the argument that Maschine is somehow suited for every purpose which is ignorant or perhaps driven by a false pride unwilling to admit it is not suited for everyone. The zealots pushing Maschine are like blind followers of some religious cult... Maschine is perfect for everyone!! All hail the omnipotent Maschine!! There is not one use for which it is not better than everything else!!
Just use the octave up and down buttons! :lol: I don't know how anyone could argue that that is a solution for playing expressively. There's no way I could write the chord arrangements or leads I'm working on right now with a Maschine. I'd still consider getting one though for it's strengths as a controller and the per step automation.

yur2die4
Posts: 6420
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:02 am
Location: Menasha, Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:43 pm

Yeah. You'll find those types. I'm definitely not saying the controller is for everyone. In fact, I can totally see playing it chromatically to not be for everyone. For myself, it was kind of an addiction. I also liked applying the same method to the Launchpad (which has by far been my most used device due to its portability).

I also tried to point out that the Octave up and down function are easily reachable. For myself, it is fun stuff. But I can see it being frustratingly limiting for most : )

I also have to admit that each pad is sooo fun to fiddle with the fingers. I think if you were doing simple marimba/percussive type actions, the Maschine is pretty fun. Your fingers dance on the thing. Anddddd of course you again have to deal with range limitations haha.

I keep adding on to this post haha: one reason why I was excited to get Push, was due to my good experiences with Maschine :). As for which I like better? It'll take some time, but at the moment it is a toss up.

SuburbanThug
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am
Contact:

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 pm

Obviously Maschine is a beast for triggering and finger drumming. I wouldn't imagine denying this. The way it plays friendly with 3rd party VSTs is also very attractive. I don't want anyone to see my posts as Maschine-bashing because that is not how they are intended. My initial post and responses stemming from it are only to assert that these are two different devices each with their own strengths and focus.

BTW if anyone truly needs to cross-reference me with other members of this forum you can feel free to visit my Soundcloud in the spirit of full disclosure :D
https://soundcloud.com/suburbanthugsoundsystem

deva
Posts: 1685
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:32 pm

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by deva » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:04 pm

humnumb wrote:
What differentiates Maschine from all the other software-based tools that started off as a software-only tool including Live is that Maschine really feels more like an instrument because the software and hardware were designed together from the beginning so you can control everything from the controller such as browsing/loading of sounds/kits to sampling, slicing, previewing, editing all without ever having to look at the computer screen or touch the mouse. It doesn't feel like you're using software at all.
So what differentiates Maschine, is how YOU feel... not everyone feels that way. You are describing something subjective. It is great for you that you like it. Myself, I find it too reminiscent of my old hardware synths where I hated diving into menus, and the tiny little lcd screens. I like my big screen and mouse/tablet and have no interest to stop using them.

humnumb
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by humnumb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:25 pm

deva wrote:
humnumb wrote:What differentiates Maschine from all the other software-based tools that started off as a software-only tool including Live is that Maschine really feels more like an instrument because the software and hardware were designed together from the beginning so you can control everything from the controller such as browsing/loading of sounds/kits to sampling, slicing, previewing, editing all without ever having to look at the computer screen or touch the mouse. It doesn't feel like you're using software at all.
So what differentiates Maschine, is how YOU feel... not everyone feels that way. You are describing something subjective. It is great for you that you like it. Myself, I find it too reminiscent of my old hardware synths where I hated diving into menus, and the tiny little lcd screens. I like my big screen and mouse/tablet and have no interest to stop using them.
No, it's not just how I feel. You'll find that A LOT of other people feel that way about Maschine. Enough so that you can't simply dismiss it just because you decided to form a prejudiced view about it based on your personal experience with standalone hardware. Maschine doesn't force you to only look at the hardware display and it doesn't have any of the annoying inherent limitations found on older standalone hardware. It lets you have a choice to have the best of both worlds by letting you balance how much of the hardware-based mouseless approach and a typical software/computer screen approach you want in your own workflow.

SuburbanThug
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am
Contact:

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:34 pm

Last edited by SuburbanThug on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.


humnumb
Posts: 636
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:27 pm

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by humnumb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:40 pm

Image


SuburbanThug
Posts: 1479
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:22 am
Contact:

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:54 pm

M8, do you even compress?

skatr2
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by skatr2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:04 pm

humnumb wrote:
deva wrote:
humnumb wrote:What differentiates Maschine from all the other software-based tools that started off as a software-only tool including Live is that Maschine really feels more like an instrument because the software and hardware were designed together from the beginning so you can control everything from the controller such as browsing/loading of sounds/kits to sampling, slicing, previewing, editing all without ever having to look at the computer screen or touch the mouse. It doesn't feel like you're using software at all.
So what differentiates Maschine, is how YOU feel... not everyone feels that way. You are describing something subjective. It is great for you that you like it. Myself, I find it too reminiscent of my old hardware synths where I hated diving into menus, and the tiny little lcd screens. I like my big screen and mouse/tablet and have no interest to stop using them.
No, it's not just how I feel. You'll find that A LOT of other people feel that way about Maschine. Enough so that you can't simply dismiss it just because you decided to form a prejudiced view about it based on your personal experience with standalone hardware. Maschine doesn't force you to only look at the hardware display and it doesn't have any of the annoying inherent limitations found on older standalone hardware. It lets you have a choice to have the best of both worlds by letting you balance how much of the hardware-based mouseless approach and a typical software/computer screen approach you want in your own workflow.
Hey fucko...its not how everyone feels. I owned maschine and it didn't play well with any setup I tried. This is not a thread on unfalsifying the myths about maschine. If anything, those who are promoting or suggesting push have given maschine lots of praise. QFT douchebag and find a thread you can actually contribute to.

panten
Posts: 876
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: South of London

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by panten » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:12 pm

skatr2 as silly as this thread has become it's probably best not to resort to more inflammatory comments. Let's try and keep it 'reasonably' civilized round these here parts :)
They ARE just MIDI controllers after all.

The one-upmanship here is out of control, sad really it is.

skatr2
Posts: 450
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:38 pm

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by skatr2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:24 pm

panten wrote:skatr2 as silly as this thread has become it's probably best not to resort to more inflammatory comments. Let's try and keep it 'reasonably' civilized round these here parts :)
They ARE just MIDI controllers after all.

The one-upmanship here is out of control, sad really it is.
in his case, he doesn't deserve reasonably civilized. He's just a peddler for a product and deserves nothing short of what I gave him.


Post Reply