Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
humnumb

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by humnumb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:28 pm

skatr2 wrote:Hey fucko...its not how everyone feels.
Hey fucko... You may want to brush up on your reading comprehension skills. No one said anything about "how everyone feels". Try again:
humnumb wrote:You'll find that A LOT of other people feel that way about Maschine. Enough so that you can't simply dismiss it just because you decided to form a prejudiced view about it based on your personal experience with standalone hardware. Maschine doesn't force you to only look at the hardware display and it doesn't have any of the annoying inherent limitations found on older standalone hardware. It lets you have a choice to have the best of both worlds by letting you balance how much of the hardware-based mouseless approach and a typical software/computer screen approach you want in your own workflow.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:38 pm

Yet again the douchebag continues. YOU HAVE NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE TO ADD TO ABLETON FORUMS! Go peddle your wares to people who give a shit. We have afforded you and your product LOTS of room to claim how great maschine is and even given it some credit. Yet again you still over the course of the forum reject everyones experience or find some way to tear up their threads with how maschine is the best option. And yet...you still can't make a full length song on it. QFT douchebag. You have nothing worth a damn to add :)

panten

Post by panten » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:39 pm

skatr2 wrote:in his case, he doesn't deserve reasonably civilized. He's just a peddler for a product and deserves nothing short of what I gave him.
That's fair enough but he's the exact same across a number of forums ('emptysea' on the MPCForums and the now banned 'noiserot' on the NI Forums for overly argumentative style) and irritates users wherever he goes so this place isn't special... a wise man once told me, 'always try to remain dignified'.

I'm a bit Zen at the moment as I spent the evening sketching around on Push. I'm loving it.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:43 pm

panten wrote:
skatr2 wrote: I'm a bit Zen at the moment as I spent the evening sketching around on Push. I'm loving it.
truth be told I got more work done in the first two days playing around on push with my workflow than I did in 6 months of attempting to setup and re set up maschine to work with me.

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 pm

Sorry SuburbanThug, but you lost the one-upmanship contest here the moment you resorted to posting meme generator pics.

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Ok, I'm really happy with the Maschine Mikro. So happy that I'm returning it for the full Maschine.
(I am just about up for my 30 days, but ProAudioStar has been very understanding.) Maybe someday I'll get push,but Maschine and Massive are HUGELY impressive.

Don't get me wrong, I'll certainly be using Maschine as a VST in Ableton Live 9 (I upgraded to the Suite from Live 8). And the APC40 and Launchpad are good ol' hosses. I had tried the first version of Maschine a couple of years ago, and was underwhelmed. But the new upgrades make it highly, highly effective for what I do....

If I think I need the Push, I'll re-install Ditto from NativeKontrol and see how my Launchpad works.....

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:16 pm

blinkeye wrote:Sorry SuburbanThug, but you lost the one-upmanship contest here the moment you resorted to posting meme generator pics.
He already lost it with the stupidest comment of the day:
SuburbanThug wrote:The fact remains that I don't know any self respecting musicians other than drummers that would limit themselves to playing an "instrument" that only had a range of 16 notes at a time.
:lol:

Although the stupidest comment award really should have gone to deva a while ago:
deva wrote:It is hard to see Maschine as an instrument for me because it only has 16 pads...

panten

Post by panten » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:17 pm

So when is your Push arriving humnumb?

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:24 pm

panten wrote:So when is your Push arriving humnumb?
Seriously...
I really like this video of this guy playing "Flight of the Bumblebee" on Push. I wonder if you could play something of this level of complexity on a Maschine?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhPuxyBiHgo

deva

Post by deva » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:30 pm

humnumb wrote:
deva wrote:
humnumb wrote:What differentiates Maschine from all the other software-based tools that started off as a software-only tool including Live is that Maschine really feels more like an instrument because the software and hardware were designed together from the beginning so you can control everything from the controller such as browsing/loading of sounds/kits to sampling, slicing, previewing, editing all without ever having to look at the computer screen or touch the mouse. It doesn't feel like you're using software at all.
So what differentiates Maschine, is how YOU feel... not everyone feels that way. You are describing something subjective. It is great for you that you like it. Myself, I find it too reminiscent of my old hardware synths where I hated diving into menus, and the tiny little lcd screens. I like my big screen and mouse/tablet and have no interest to stop using them.
No, it's not just how I feel. You'll find that A LOT of other people feel that way about Maschine. Enough so that you can't simply dismiss it just because you decided to form a prejudiced view about it

And you will find a lot of people who don't. Maschine Zombies like you cannot imagine for a second that it doesn't suit everyone so anyone who doesn't want it must be prejudiced or ignorant. You are a blind religious follower pushing your religion on everyone else... with no ability to have even the barest respect for the views of someone else. I don't dislike Maschine, I dislike cultists like you.

panten

Post by panten » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:36 pm

SuburbanThug: Yeah that's one of the vids that sold me on the pads, you can see the musician do a sweep across the keys at one point.
There are a ton of great videos around now showing a broad range of styles.
http://www.reddit.com/r/abletonpushvideos/new/

Don't mind the negative vibes in this thread so much man, they don't reflect that the Push is FUN to use.
As is Maschine I have no doubt :roll:

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:41 pm

You can leave religion out of this, deva, although I can tell that it's a subject that's dear to your heart since every other post from you mentions "omniscient god" and "religious cult".

Anyway, no, you're the one who has a hard time seeing that a lot of people do think of Maschine in that way. It's people like you and skatr2 that always has to come back with a retort about how no one else feels that way and when it's pointed out that it's not the case, then you put words in people's mouth like how they "cannot imagine for a second that it doesn't suit everyone". :roll:

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:47 pm

humnumb wrote:
blinkeye wrote:Sorry SuburbanThug, but you lost the one-upmanship contest here the moment you resorted to posting meme generator pics.
He already lost it with the stupidest comment of the day:
SuburbanThug wrote:The fact remains that I don't know any self respecting musicians other than drummers that would limit themselves to playing an "instrument" that only had a range of 16 notes at a time.
:lol:

Although the stupidest comment award really should have gone to deva a while ago:
deva wrote:It is hard to see Maschine as an instrument for me because it only has 16 pads...
Hmmm... A brief glance into history will tell you that the guitar's rise to popularity is not just due to its timbre but also greatly to it's range, playability, and portability. The synthesizers rise in popularity is similar as some have become nearly as portable as a guitar with the added benefit of accessibility to a world of different timbres. With the sequencer it is now possible to compose entire symphonies on the go. With a Push a range of 64 notes is possible in a particular scale making it far more portable and as far ranging in tonality as any available midi keyboard with a layout that makes it unique and arguably more playable than a traditional keyboard. Combined with a sequencer you are getting the most playable and compact instrument on the market with a build quality superior to most if not all competitors. You can't cut your samples from the hardware (wait, isn't my computer part of the hardware?) but you can play complex melodic arrangements on it.