Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by beats me » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:46 pm

dysanfel wrote:If I wanted pre-made beats I would use loops.

But with loops you can’t change the samples or notes. I’m not all that impressed with the quality of Maschine’s patterns, but you’ve never heard a built-in or bought pattern on anything that made you go “holy shit!” and were glad you could go in and edit things to make it your own?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:19 pm

hmm...I thought the point of having a drum machine is to program beats...
I consider the built-in 'patterns' as "demos" for kits. good for testing the kits

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:31 pm

3dot... wrote:hmm...I thought the point of having a drum machine is to program beats...
I consider the built-in 'patterns' as "demos" for kits. good for testing the kits
I agree. Save the money, get audio loops, slice to build your kits, get MIDI drum patterns to play your sounds.

*What's the fine print if you use one of the factory loops in a commercial production? Royalty Free? I'd hope so, especially since they aren't demo 'songs', but in today's money hungry, creative stifling climate, I'd double check.

You could get a friend to drag and drop the MIDI patterns out of Maschine for you ;) *see above

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 pm

geekbeats wrote:
3dot... wrote:hmm...I thought the point of having a drum machine is to program beats...
I agree. Save the money, get audio loops, slice to build your kits, get MIDI drum patterns to play your sounds.

*What's the fine print if you use one of the factory loops in a commercial production? Royalty Free? I'd hope so, especially since they aren't demo 'songs', but in today's money hungry, creative stifling climate, I'd double check.

You could get a friend to drag and drop the MIDI patterns out of Maschine for you ;) *see above
afaik when you purchase a sample pack/product you obtain the rights to use it in a recording

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:05 am

geekbeats wrote:

I think 3dot and beats me already have Maschine.

As far as using factory content, the EULA in your Maschine folder has all the legalese. Here's the gist: "The provided samples, instruments and presets can be used for commercial or non-commercial music and audio productions without the prior permission from Native Instruments under the terms of this Agreement."

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:14 am

I bought a Push, and I just got a killer deal on a new Maschine MkII, so I bought one of them too.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:40 am

delicioso wrote:
geekbeats wrote:

I think 3dot and beats me already have Maschine.

As far as using factory content, the EULA in your Maschine folder has all the legalese. Here's the gist: "The provided samples, instruments and presets can be used for commercial or non-commercial music and audio productions without the prior permission from Native Instruments under the terms of this Agreement."
Thanks for getting the details on the EULA

Yes, I have Maschine (sold my MPC w/ JJ OS for it) and just got PUSH. I'm not a fanboy, I just buy what works for me...

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:39 am

I assume the "why use included patterns" people have never used Addictive Drums because then you would know exactly why, especially if you want the sound and feel of a real drummer.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:48 am

I used to use AD a lot and now use Superior Drummer. I've wanted to use it in Maschine as well. The good news is the NI has confirmed MIDI file import as part of the major rewrite of Maschine's software for 2.0 that's been underway for some good while now.

geekbeats

Post by geekbeats » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:04 am

delicioso wrote:I used to use AD a lot and now use Superior Drummer. I've wanted to use it in Maschine as well. The good news is the NI has confirmed MIDI file import as part of the major rewrite of Maschine's software for 2.0 that's been underway for some good while now.
I haven't used that software, but love professional MIDI drum patterns. Any known timeline for the release of 2.0?

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:24 am

blinkeye wrote:
skatr2 wrote:Let me know when maschine can actually make a full track without the help of a real daw
What? :lol:

Maschine can make a full track without the help of a DAW.
Then who would buy that shit?

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:37 am

So youtube has learned to play me Maschine adverts before videos now. Joy. They really seem to cater to a hip hop crowd. Except maybe in Germany where I found a print ad with the Maschine buttons censoring the following ad: "What A B****Y Maschine."

What a bitchy Maschine? Did they mean bitchin'?

:lol:

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:42 pm

delicioso wrote:I used to use AD a lot and now use Superior Drummer. I've wanted to use it in Maschine as well. The good news is the NI has confirmed MIDI file import as part of the major rewrite of Maschine's software for 2.0 that's been underway for some good while now.
Cool. I’m probably being a little defensive about using included patterns by both the insecurity and valuable tool definitions. But if you’re not a drummer and the patterns are quality, just dismissing them because you (not you specifically) feel you need to come up with everything yourself is like saying people shouldn’t use arpeggiators or delays. It’s lazy and cheating. You should either play every single note or draw them in.

chaibuka

Post by chaibuka » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:34 pm

The edIT Show #8 - Gear Review - Push vs. Maschine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSuFK5_i ... f&index=13

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:05 pm

Excellent comparison. Thanks much for the link.
chaibuka wrote:The edIT Show #8 - Gear Review - Push vs. Maschine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSuFK5_i ... f&index=13