Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
panten

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by panten » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:12 pm

dear shill, I never did call them noobs. I am also not a Push apologist, I'm merely trying to offer some perspective from someone who owns one and has no problems whatsoever with the hardware.
As I said before, at this early stage it's very likely people who are experiencing issues are likely to be the most vocal. I've spent the whole afternoon quite comfortably creating music with Push and zoning out. What have you been up to? oh that's right.. scouring the forums for more evidence to justify your job.

*edit* Just did a quick google search on problems with pad sensitivity and it seems Maschine suffered from the same problems on some user's units. I can't be bothered to copy and paste all the links right now as I have better things to do. Others can do the same search. I'm pretty sure ALL hardware output from a factory will have a % of bum units so making this all about Push is pretty biased.

anyway here's a funny image for you.
Carry On
Last edited by panten on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mutant23

Post by mutant23 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:22 pm

Now, now, kids. Play nice.

They're both fun instruments in their own right and I'm sure they'll make a great combo together. Maschine is obviously further along in terms of maturity and stability for the kinds of things it does. Push still has a bit of growing up to do so give it some time, although it will likely never get the level of integration Maschine enjoys with its own software due to the sheer scope of the Live software.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:52 pm

panten wrote:*edit* Just did a quick google search on problems with pad sensitivity and it seems Maschine suffered from the same problems on some user's units. I can't be bothered to copy and paste all the links right now as I have better things to do. Others can do the same search. I'm pretty sure ALL hardware output from a factory will have a % of bum units so making this all about Push is pretty biased.
Exactly. In fact there have been plenty of bugs that have had to be worked out with Maschine which have been addressed in this thread including those associated with it playing nice with Live. It's working good now. Great. I don't wish a shitty user experience on anyone. But it has taken plenty of time to get where it's at right now.

Anyway, they're almost completely different machines. I can't be bothered to try playing a melody of any real complexity on a Maschine and I can't be chopping samples from my Push. Thankfully arranging notes is where using a laptop is lacking for me so Push is working out great. I've never done any super precise chopping on Maschine but I'm pretty sure I would still appreciate my 13 inch screen for this purpose. Editing whole stems bit by bit? That would drive me insane on that little LCD screen. I'll stick to arrangement view.

aldentinnin

Post by aldentinnin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:48 pm

humnumb (as all trolls) functions as a digestive tract (maybe colon is more appropriate) - no matter what input/food he gets it ultimately ends up as feces being ejected all over the thread. most will regard this scatological substitution as such and thus avoid stepping in it. in retrospect his comments will, at best, be regarded as comic relief and will not be taken seriously by anyone - ah, the irony.

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:18 pm

So... Is the fence still standing or has it collapsed?

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:22 pm

I'm quite enjoying Push and it has replaced Maschine for me at the moment in Ableton Live. I quite like the smaller pads actually and having the sequencer at the same time is great. And for some melodic instruments, the chromatic note mode is just awesome. I've had lots of fun with mallets, Brass, lots of stuff. Many instruments I can't stand on it, like pianos, but some feel much better on Push than keys.

As for Maschine, the complete hardware control is cool, but I actually like the balance they struck with Push. I think there is a certain point where hardware becomes more work than it's worth. With Push, you basically know all the functions pretty quick, not too much hidden.

My big problem with Maschine is still the lack of proper automation support in your DAW. No automation for mutes or any parameters directly, only 8 macros per group. This is massively insufficient for 16 sounds, that averages half a macro per sound. At the very least pad mutes, solos and basic mixing parameters should be directly automatable, plus 8 macros per sound in addition to group macros. Then you could actually integrate it with your DAW. But I am holding onto Maschine because they will supposedly be improving/adding functionality for the routing of audio and midi between pads. So it could become more Kore like, which would be cool.
Professional Shark Jumper.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:37 pm

blinkeye wrote:So... Is the fence still standing or has it collapsed?
You just couldn't resist could you?

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 pm

Maschine won Best Live Performance Tool at the Musikmesse International Press award. It beat out Push and Spark. Komplete 9 won an award also. Congrats to NI! Check here: http://www.mipa-award.de/winner_2013.ph ... nce%20Tool

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:25 pm

humnumb wrote:Maschine won Best Live Performance Tool at the Musikmesse International Press award. It beat out Push and Spark. Komplete 9 won an award also. Congrats to NI! Check here: http://www.mipa-award.de/winner_2013.ph ... nce%20Tool
:roll: and the dip shit still keeps talking. Lol how does one have that kind of poll with one product that was released 2 weeks ago and another product that is just made to be a drum kit? throwing the 3 against each other doesn't make sense!

Dillinger63

Post by Dillinger63 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 pm

humnumb wrote:Maschine won Best Live Performance Tool at the Musikmesse International Press award. It beat out Push and Spark. Komplete 9 won an award also. Congrats to NI! Check here: http://www.mipa-award.de/winner_2013.ph ... nce%20Tool

....and the winner of the Acoustic Drums category, Drum roll please .............. Acoustic Drums! Yea, clap,clap,clap ...... Accepting the award is Mr. Teenage Mutant Zildjian Cymbal.

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:05 am

Push wasn't designed to be a performance tool.

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:42 am

Lol SO much Talk SO LITTLE MUSIC done.
Just buy both and be done with it.

Or maybe you are too poor, aren't you ? :mrgreen:

.... Me too :|

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:10 am

skatr2 wrote:how does one have that kind of poll with one product that was released 2 weeks ago and another product that is just made to be a drum kit? throwing the 3 against each other doesn't make sense!
It's not a poll. It's an award ceremony held annually at musikmesse. Maybe you have heard of it. The awards are voted on by more than 100 pro audio industry magazines from all over the world. They found Maschine to be the best Live Perfomance Tool over Push or Spark. There's no need to get all butthurt about it.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:36 am

Oh wow the Akai Mac 49 won. That's a quality controller keyboard...

Hum, not to belabor the point, but can you post one of your YouTubes that details how to copy a midi clip from Maschine to Ableton and retain the recorded automation from Maschine. I can't figure out how to do that.

Also, can you post one of your YouTubes that shows how to layer drums and control the individual layers. I can layer the drums but have no control of the individual samples. You seem to know the software inside out and figured you'd be the right person to ask. Thanks in advance!
Ableton | Elektron

Music

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:00 am

humnumb wrote:
skatr2 wrote:how does one have that kind of poll with one product that was released 2 weeks ago and another product that is just made to be a drum kit? throwing the 3 against each other doesn't make sense!
It's not a poll. It's an award ceremony held annually at musikmesse. Maybe you have heard of it. The awards are voted on by more than 100 pro audio industry magazines from all over the world. They found Maschine to be the best Live Perfomance Tool over Push or Spark. There's no need to get all butthurt about it.
far from butt hurt Fucktard. push is not a performance controller. neither is spark. for a coveted title you'd think they would consider the category meanings before entering those competitors. nobody here has pinned the two against each other either. they're different beats with different function and capability. only dip shits like you aspire to declare maschine the controller to rule them all.