Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SuburbanThug

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by SuburbanThug » Fri May 17, 2013 4:40 pm

bradyp69 wrote:I'm sorry you feel that way; I'm really glad you started the post. I have learned a lot about workflow from others and picked up some ideas I'm keen to try out. I hope it helps that at least someone appreciates it and has benefited. Cheers.
I've appreciated a lot of information in this thread as well. The topic itself is not completely stupid but the fact it's gone on so long now that we know more about Push has been a bit ridiculous. Now this thread could be summed up in a couple pages. Maybe we should start a new one! :lol:

db120

Post by db120 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Someone out there with a blog should collect all the juicy tips for each respectively and put it in a post. There is a lot of good stuff in here hidden amongst the noise.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Fri May 17, 2013 8:07 pm

djadonis206 wrote:
Sional wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:Oh wow the Akai Mac 49 won. That's a quality controller keyboard...

Hum, not to belabor the point, but can you post one of your YouTubes that details how to copy a midi clip from Maschine to Ableton and retain the recorded automation from Maschine. I can't figure out how to do that.

Also, can you post one of your YouTubes that shows how to layer drums and control the individual layers. I can layer the drums but have no control of the individual samples. You seem to know the software inside out and figured you'd be the right person to ask. Thanks in advance!
No intention of supporting one side or the other in this little ding dong (I got both devices - well I will have when I finally get my Push!!!) but I will give an answer to your questions.
It is a bit unfair to expect automation recorded in one DAW to be copied to a different DAW. Even if it was a set of cc values it would be meaningless if the parameter being controlled was not the same( Live and Maschine do not have the same devices). If I wanted the sonic result of the automation I would copy the audio file into Live.
If you use the master slave facility in Maschine you can layer drums and retain control of individual samples (obviously you can do a lot more in Live's drum or instrument racks).
I wouldn't get to wrapped up in my above post. However, I didn't think copying automation was possible until I started using Geist. You can make drum loops in the Geist sequencer and apply all sorts of automation. Then drag and drop the midi file to Live or Logic and everything copies over and plays back perfectly, automation and all.

I don't really use geist as much these days though
Why''d you stop using Geist ?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:54 pm

Oh still use Geist, it's just not a go-to kind of thing anymore. I'm doing a lot more arrangement view work. I'm just putting drums in arrangement view and sequencing drum parts there. In some case, I can edit drums easier and with more detail. Plus, it breaks that rut I find myself getting stuck in in the session view. Command+J is where it's at
Ableton | Elektron

Music

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat May 18, 2013 2:50 am

djadonis206 wrote:Oh still use Geist, it's just not a go-to kind of thing anymore. I'm doing a lot more arrangement view work. I'm just putting drums in arrangement view and sequencing drum parts there. In some case, I can edit drums easier and with more detail. Plus, it breaks that rut I find myself getting stuck in in the session view. Command+J is where it's at
Do you get stuck in session view because you are writing too many things at once?
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat May 18, 2013 2:55 am

If he's like me he just means that it's easier to keep things constantly interesting by taking a loop and editing the shit out of it on a linear timeline so that he can listen to it evolve.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:11 am

Sub, Voodoo - it's a little bit of both. I'm more likely to get further in a track in arrange view. I chop, consolidate and duplicate. You can't really do that in session.

However, session's cool for jamming and cutting perfect loops. When you combine the two it gets fun

Right now I'm using push to sculpt fx. For some weird reason I can program a better reverb with knobs than with a mouse. Same for filters and the grain delay. So go figure right. I thought I'd be using push to program drums and I'm programming fx.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

SuburbanThug

Post by SuburbanThug » Sat May 18, 2013 4:16 am

That's not too surprising to me. You don't have to use your eyes when you're turning a knob so that's one less sense getting in the way of your ears.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:20 pm

I skimmed through most of this thread last night, and I still can't decide which is a better choice for me. Smdh.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

fazedup

Post by fazedup » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:01 pm

I have both, to be honest push is the one I use all the time, it comes down to the amount of pads for me. I can play push like an instrument, I cannot do that with maschine. After using both for a while I don't see them as comparable, push is far more of an instrument, maschine is more like a work station. Maybe part of my problem is that I already love ableton and trying to learn something new is not where I want to be. I also thing push's design is far more tasteful.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:22 am

The thing that is really starting to get to me is the content. I already have Live 9 Suite, but for $600 it would seem as though you would get some kind of additional content with Push. All of the Maschine packages come with 8 gigs of content and a full version of Massive. I don't have Massive now, so that would be nice along with all of the drum sounds in Maschine. I could get the Mk2 for the same price as Push, and get a ton of new sounds. You would think that Ableton would include some free packs or something!?!?!

-Friedrich Nietzsche-

debrice

Post by debrice » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:38 am

Recently started using Push, I'm a t a kind of beginner stage and getting Push has coincided with me making some good much better stuff over the last couple of weeks. Coincided being the key word here because I've been a bit disappointed with Push.

The progress I've made has been down to study and practice, most of which has been through the mouse. Push is fun for drum programming, but so far that's been about it for me. I've got a lot to learn with both the software and the Push and am hoping that I can start integrating Push into the way I work a bit more soon.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:51 pm

kb420 wrote:The thing that is really starting to get to me is the content. I already have Live 9 Suite, but for $600 it would seem as though you would get some kind of additional content with Push. All of the Maschine packages come with 8 gigs of content and a full version of Massive. I don't have Massive now, so that would be nice along with all of the drum sounds in Maschine. I could get the Mk2 for the same price as Push, and get a ton of new sounds. You would think that Ableton would include some free packs or something!?!?!

If you already have Live 9 Suite and push, that is all you need. The more you play around with the factory conetent and blend in your own synth patches or samples the better you'll get at playing the push. Any additional synths or devices can be downloaded at maxforlive. Most of the time i start of with the bomblastic drum kits and use SPL transient designer to modify the drums.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:16 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:If you already have Live 9 Suite and push, that is all you need. The more you play around with the factory conetent and blend in your own synth patches or samples the better you'll get at playing the push. Any additional synths or devices can be downloaded at maxforlive. Most of the time i start of with the bomblastic drum kits and use SPL transient designer to modify the drums.

I've been a Live Suite ever since Ableton started the Suite, and I know what it can do, but you are missing the point entirely. Maschine Mk2 and Push are the same price. One comes with absolutely no additional content, while the other comes with 8 gigs of sounds, and a few full versions of some of NI's vst instruments. When you factor in the additional content that the Mk2 comes with, it really makes Push seem like a severely over priced controller for $599. That's the point I'm trying to make. It seems like you get a lot more bang for your buck with the Mk2.

You would think that Ableton would throw in something extra, especially for people who already own the Suite.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-