Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tedlogan

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by tedlogan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:15 pm

I'm not gonna buy any more controllers or VSTs for a long time, just going to focus on Push and Zebra, but that is a damn good deal right there. Komplete 9 on its own already offers so much.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:24 pm

cmreal04 wrote:
kb420 wrote:For those of you who haven't made a decision yet, here is another reason to go with an MK2.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/sp ... namic-duo/

That is a sick deal! But for me, someone who just bought Push and spent the weekend with it, I can't even imagine what there's to debate. If your a long time Live user, this is a Maschine killer in my opinion.
I see Push and Maschine as different controllers with different focuses. I don't think Push is a Maschine killer, and I don't think Maschine is a Push killer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:51 pm

kb420 wrote:
cmreal04 wrote:
kb420 wrote:For those of you who haven't made a decision yet, here is another reason to go with an MK2.

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/sp ... namic-duo/

That is a sick deal! But for me, someone who just bought Push and spent the weekend with it, I can't even imagine what there's to debate. If your a long time Live user, this is a Maschine killer in my opinion.
I see Push and Maschine as different controllers with different focuses. I don't think Push is a Maschine killer, and I don't think Maschine is a Push killer.
Yeah different strokes and stuff....but if We're talking about maschine inside Live, I don't see it that way.
Just my opinion.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

kb420

Post by kb420 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:58 pm

cmreal04 wrote:Yeah different strokes and stuff....but if We're talking about maschine inside Live, I don't see it that way.
Just my opinion.
Inside of Live, I guess you're right, but standalone, it's much more mouse and screen free than Push.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

panten

Post by panten » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:51 am

..and also much more Arrangement free. Let's not forget what's already been discussed here, in great depth.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:08 am

panten wrote:..and also much more Arrangement free. Let's not forget what's already been discussed here, in great depth.
It is what it is. Once I have a bunch of loops going, it's no problem to drag the audio in to Live.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

panten

Post by panten » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:35 pm

kb420 wrote:It is what it is. Once I have a bunch of loops going, it's no problem to drag the audio in to Live.
Yes and lose all your automation by baking to Audio. The strengths that Maschine has are somewhat nullified (depending on your workflow) by integrating it into a DAW.

I covered this in the 1st post on this thread. I'm not attempting a bash on Maschine here as it is fine equipment, just attempting to offer perspective.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:24 pm

panten wrote:
kb420 wrote:It is what it is. Once I have a bunch of loops going, it's no problem to drag the audio in to Live.
Yes and lose all your automation by baking to Audio. The strengths that Maschine has are somewhat nullified (depending on your workflow) by integrating it into a DAW.
I'm sure you can export audio from Maschine with the automation applied to the exported sound file. You may not be able to adjust it once it's exported, but that's fine. I don't really plan on using it inside of Live. When I'm finished using it, I'll just open exported audio files in Live.

As far as using it in Live, I'll probably pick up Stray's Mxt-Live.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:23 am

kb420 wrote:
panten wrote:..and also much more Arrangement free. Let's not forget what's already been discussed here, in great depth.
It is what it is. Once I have a bunch of loops going, it's no problem to drag the audio in to Live.
I get what your saying here. I usually create a really rough melody, and then use a drum machine to create my whole drum pattern and then export it to Live, and then just build off that, it's pretty much how I've been working for the last year. Not exactly what your saying but similar in concept_all about work flow. I'm looking to pick up a trigger finger pro when it comes out, and hopefully never come out of Live again, but again that's simply a workflow decision.
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

queglay

Post by queglay » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:52 am

Maschine vs Push? Who says it has to be either or? :D
The AudioModder VST Bridge can load Maschine 2.0 kits from Push's browser as drum racks.
They are also preconfigured with 16 channel audio routing back into the chains for FX - big time saver.
For nicer control and M4L users we made a device to map 8 macros of each chain into the Maschine 2.0 vst.  128 parameters are preconfigured in total for every kit.  This workflow lets you keep your composition and automation in Ableton's clips for the Maschine VST.  And you can use Push's per step automation without looking at the computer screen. The drumsynth kits have been been mapped too.

You have to own Maschine 2.0 for this to work of course.

Maschine 2.0 and Push

Older video:
Maschine and Push
Last edited by queglay on Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

queglay

Post by queglay » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:23 pm

The Maschine Expansions in 2.0 are now available.
Load VST Presets from Push's Browser!
http://www.audiomodder.com

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:29 am

I've been trying to find my way around Maschine now for a few days, and so far I am very happy with my decision. I ended up getting the Mk2/Komplete 9 bundle before the promotion ended. I couldn't be happier. The 2.1 update added a few new key features, and it will probably take me the rest of the year or maybe even longer to go through all of Maschine's drums and Komplete 9's sounds.

I have nothing against Push, and I plan on grabbing one in the future, but I have enough to keep me occupied for now.
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:52 am

what are the "new" key features?

deva

Post by deva » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:01 am

Good thing there is different stuff for different people.

I love my Push and I have zero interest to work in a second computer based DAW environment (Maschine). If I were to try and get more mouse free, I'd go more computer free as well and get an Octatrack.

I purchased Komplete 9 last year cause it was an absurdly cheap price and the box has sat here for months. I finally opened it and installed today and then spent hours trying the various instruments out. I have some interest to explore the Reaktor user library a bit... otherwise I would uninstall it tomorrow and sell it. It's all good stuff, but I'm not gonna use it. Everything in there I have other plugins that cover that ground that I like better or in the case of Kontakt, I just have no interest in.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:25 am

Timbeaux wrote:what are the "new" key features?
NEW IN MASCHINE 2.1:

Sounds accessible on pads on sample recording screen
A batch function to set all sounds in a group to the same MIDI channel. MIDI export available on the Group and Sound levels
Undocked NI plug-in windows can be pinned to remain active when not in focus
Scenes can be selected/triggered via MIDI input when MASCHINE is running standalone
Mix page on MASCHINE and MASCHINE MK2 controllers has been expanded and now provides access to level and pan settings for groups and sounds
A setting that only turns the metronome on when the Record button is enabled
Real time group erase function.
Shift functions allow fast scroll browsing.
Play quantize option –notes played live on the pads are quantized in real time
Control software views from the navigate page on MASCHINE and MASCHINE STUDIO controllers
Instantiating the first plug-in on an empty sound updates the name of that sound to the plug-in name
Sound, group volume & pan knobs are only displayed on hover
ALT+Drag for copy-pasting single elements (patterns, scenes, plug-ins) in the Groups / Sounds lists and the plug-in chain
Browser performance improvements
Numerous bug fixes, as well as performance and stability improvements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnCV1V89uVI
-Friedrich Nietzsche-