All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:49 am 

Oh, believe me. I use all of that.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:50 am 

http://julienbayle.net/blog/2013/03/08/ableton-push-and-vst/

One more that can be struck off the 'Push can't do this' list maybe?
Requires a bit of set up but that's cool right?
I don't think - 'Push doesn't automap to plugins without saving them in racks first' is a really negative point. You setup a vst once and that's it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:35 pm 

You can do what Julien's talking about, but it still requires configuring beforehand and you would actually need to do it every single time you load that VST. Plus you're limited to only choosing 127 parameters. In order to do set it up only once, you'd still have to save it as a rack.

What's surprising to hear is that the Push won't be able to browse and load plugins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:38 am 

One thing I totally love about Live is that it is so configurable. Yeah it takes some set up. But you can customize it to your own needs very much.

Only 127 parameters??? Like thats not enough :wink:

I think for an initial release, Push looks to be super tight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:08 am 

cyclicAMP wrote:
Only 127 parameters??? Like thats not enough :wink:

I had a bit of a chuckle at that one too. More than I'd ever really want to browse through, would be much quicker to just use the mouse. Brilliant.

cyclicAMP, I couldn't agree more with your post. It's definitely one of it's strongest points, like using Photoshop you can do things in many different ways to get the result you want. Really looking forward to receiving Push.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 pm 

delicioso wrote:
What's surprising to hear is that the Push won't be able to browse and load plugins.

Damn, the Push is more limited than I thought then. I thought Jesse made it sound like you could at least load plugins directly but just not be able to control them automatically since there was no plugin automapping on the Push? I guess it doesn't matter either way since you still have to save plugins as a rack beforehand if you want to be able to recall your configuration for plugins.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:14 pm 

humnumb wrote:
delicioso wrote:

Damn, the Push is more limited than I thought then. I thought Jesse made it sound like you could at least load plugins directly but just not be able to control them automatically since there was no plugin automapping on the Push? I guess it doesn't matter either way since you still have to save plugins as a rack beforehand if you want to be able to recall your configuration for plugins.

It can browse and load plug ins, if you preconfigure the parameters it will show them in banks of eight

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:38 pm 

humnumb wrote:
Damn, the Push is more limited than I thought then.
In my eyes this is hardly a limitation at all. I agree with a lot of what you guys say about the things lacking with the Push, but this is one comment I've never really understood.
In what way is it a limitation if you can in fact do what you want it to with a bit more ability to customise and flexibility than you're used to with 'auto mapping'?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:15 pm 

If Push gets popular enough, then it won't be long till someone Writes a firmware mod for this Device, so you can repgrogram/remap Push completely and use it in other DAW's as well.

I've seen it happening elsewhere, like in the Digital Camera community... so I don't see why it can't happen here to remove current limitations from Push.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:19 pm 

login wrote:
It can browse and load plug ins, if you preconfigure the parameters it will show them in banks of eight

But that's a rather useless workaround since nothing will get saved, meaning you will have to do configure all over again every time you load up the same vst. So you still need to save as a rack beforehand and then load that rack if you want to be able to recall plugin settings. The bottomline is that, other than impractical workarounds, it is not possible to browse and load VST directly in Push like it can with Live's own native devices.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:24 pm 

humnumb wrote:
login wrote:

But that's a rather useless workaround since nothing will get saved, meaning you will have to do configure all over again every time you load up the same vst. So you still need to save as a rack beforehand and then load that rack if you want to be able to recall plugin settings. The bottomline is that, other than impractical workarounds, it is not possible to browse and load VST directly in Push like it can with Live's own native devices.

Nothing a little firmware/software update can't fix.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 pm 

humnumb wrote:
The bottomline is that, other than impractical workarounds, it is not possible to browse and load VST directly in Push like it can with Live's own native devices.
I still don't get what the big problem is? Why is it impractical to create your own setup? If anything this is a 'pro' point.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:39 pm 

panten wrote:
humnumb wrote:
The bottomline is that, other than impractical workarounds, it is not possible to browse and load VST directly in Push like it can with Live's own native devices.
I still don't get what the big problem is? Why is it impractical to create your own setup? If anything this is a 'pro' point.

Seriously?

:x

The point is that it's a limitation of Push not being able to browse, load, or automap plugins.

So, given that limitation, it's not a "'pro' point" to be pointing out that you have to pre-configure or save it as a rack beforehand to control plugins in Push because Maschine's automapping can already be customized to create your own mapping, and it will still automap your customized mapping without having to save it as a rack. Plus, you can also save racks in Maschine if you want to (they're called Modules in Maschine).

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:50 pm 

humnumb wrote:
The point is that it's a limitation of Push not being able to browse, load, or automap plugins.

That's probably not as big of a deal for most people compared to not being able to do any sampling/chopping/duplicating pads/waveform editing...etc. with Drum Racks from Push.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 pm 

humnumb wrote:
delicioso wrote:

I save them as a rack anyway cause I want the macros and effects chain(s)... you are making a bigger deal out of it than it warrants. I think cause your main motivation is to push Maschine (pun intended)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 776 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 52  Next