Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
v00d00ppl

Re: Sitting on the Fence - Push or Maschine

Post by v00d00ppl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:27 pm

@kb420 yes I know of the sale. I think I will head off to coinstar and see how much I can convert my spare change into. Yes I can upgrade my kontakt 4 to Komplete 9 ultimate. I guess if 10 comes out right after I can always upgrade on the next half off sale which is Black Friday.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

deva

Post by deva » Sun Jun 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Tarekith wrote:It's awesome, truly impressive actually, best groove box I've ever used.

Unfortunately I realized right now a groove box workflow is not what is exciting me, so I'm moving on to my next experiment, and OP-1.
I had the chance to spend a few hours with the new Elektron Analog Rytm... I immediately ordered one so that is my next experiment... an OTB adventure!

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:33 pm

deva wrote:
Tarekith wrote:It's awesome, truly impressive actually, best groove box I've ever used.

Unfortunately I realized right now a groove box workflow is not what is exciting me, so I'm moving on to my next experiment, and OP-1.
I had the chance to spend a few hours with the new Elektron Analog Rytm... I immediately ordered one so that is my next experiment... an OTB adventure!

Yes the RYTM is an awesome box. I love how you can easily go to the classic sounds or if you want to be adventurous layer the drums with samples. If you tweak it right it sounds like the layered sounds are physically modeled like in Kong or Spark. I've already had a good 10 sleepless nights tweaking away at the RYTM.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:08 pm

Hmm I was just about to order an Akai MPD32 to use with drum racks, but now I'm considering picking up Maschine Mikro- to use as a controller with drum racks and also learn the new 2.0 software.

Any thought on going with one or the other?
Ableton 9, Feeltune Rhizome, Focusrite Pro, Mpk249....

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:53 am

cmreal04 wrote:Hmm I was just about to order an Akai MPD32 to use with drum racks, but now I'm considering picking up Maschine Mikro- to use as a controller with drum racks and also learn the new 2.0 software.

If you get an MPD32 get the mpcstuff thick pads mod or else the sensitivity is so-so.

If you get a mikro the pad sensitivity is much better than stock mpd32 pads, plus you get a standalone program you can use outside of live and spend a great deal of time tweaking your kits.

Are you trying to buy new or used?

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:58 am

v00d00ppl wrote:
cmreal04 wrote:Hmm I was just about to order an Akai MPD32 to use with drum racks, but now I'm considering picking up Maschine Mikro- to use as a controller with drum racks and also learn the new 2.0 software.

If you get an MPD32 get the mpcstuff thick pads mod or else the sensitivity is so-so.

If you get a mikro the pad sensitivity is much better than stock mpd32 pads, plus you get a standalone program you can use outside of live and spend a great deal of time tweaking your kits.

I was planning on buying new...why do you ask?

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:12 am

cmreal04 wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:

I was planning on buying new...why do you ask?
Sometimes you can nab a used mikro for 250 or less with a 1.8 license. If you're going new the mpd32 is 300 without any standalone groovebox software while mikro is 350 with a standalone beat program and now a built in digital drum synth.

panten

Post by panten » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Just want to chip in here and suggest that under no circumstances get an MPD machine. You will understand if you spend more than 1 minute smashing on those rock hard grey slabs of rubber wondering if there's something wrong with your fingers. Nope, it's the pads... Conclusion = They're crap.

deva

Post by deva » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:01 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:
deva wrote:

Yes the RYTM is an awesome box. I love how you can easily go to the classic sounds or if you want to be adventurous layer the drums with samples. If you tweak it right it sounds like the layered sounds are physically modeled like in Kong or Spark. I've already had a good 10 sleepless nights tweaking away at the RYTM.
Mine will not arrive for a few weeks... but in the 5-6 hours I spent with one, the range of sounds was excellent... one can make an entire composition just with the Rytm... I got some fine basses and leads going in chromatic mode... and the low end is 8O

I'm looking forward to some of those nights 8)

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:25 am

I have a Push, but I was considering an APPC40 Mk2 for my studio as well. I had forgotten how good the Ableton Live Template (Ver 2) is when used with the Maschine Mk2. (The template for Maschine Studio is even better, as you might expect, but tne Maschine Mk2 version is no slouch). Plus, you get the NI software, which also is quite good.

No longer in the market for an APC40 Mk2, but I may spring for the APC mini for casual gigs.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:31 am

I'm ecstatic about 2.1 with push and 9.1

The old MK1 controller I have isn't really necessary for me other than when in standalone. Gak, I don't even have the space for them all on this desk :x

cmreal04

Post by cmreal04 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:41 pm

Yeah, these sales/2.0 software all most had me pull the trigger. I couldn't come to terms with outsourcing another part of my production efforts....it's just gonna be me on an island pretty soon, shun for not owning Maschine :!:

On a completely unrelated note, I was in my local music store the other day and was surprised by the build quality/sound of the Roland TR-8....

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:16 pm

I lot of people really anticipated them, but I haven't heard anything about 'em since the release.