Audio Interface Question #5985693485

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gav_35

Audio Interface Question #5985693485

Post by gav_35 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi folks,

Im a Live amateur, downloaded it last week and am just getting my head around it. Been working off my PC but am getting a MacBook pro soon. Ill also be getting an APC40 as a controller. The main reason Im getting it will be for djing but will also be doing a bit of production on it. My question is what is the best budget interface to buy? I presume it will have to be USB (or are they all??) and will need to be able to split the audio between my headphones and the master out.
It would also be nice to be able to plug in a MIDI keyboard seeing as I have one. Any suggestions welcome but as I said, Im looking for something relatively cheap as I dont even know where Im getting the money for the AOPC40, never mind the interface too!

Cheers!

ttilberg

Re: Audio Interface Question #5985693485

Post by ttilberg » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 pm

It depends on what you actually need in your interface, but I love my NI Audio 2. It's tiny, has 2 L/R pairs, works awesome for DJing.

If you need something for recording, this isn't it. That said, it's $99 and includes a full copy of Traktor Pro 2. You certainly wouldn't go wrong with any of the NI cards, as mentioned above. The higher end ones introduce inputs and midi and stuff like that. It really depends on how low your budget actually is.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Hi there, got an audio 2 DJ from NI, too. if u dont need inputs, its a good choice for a DJ setup. and it is around 90 euro.

login

Post by login » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:24 pm

Focusrite scarlett line also has a good price for waht you get.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:43 pm

gav_35 wrote:It would also be nice to be able to plug in a MIDI keyboard seeing as I have one.
contrary to other beliefs... you can only plug a MIDI keyboard directly in to your computer if the keyboard has a firewire or USB output and you have those on your computer. if it is a keyboard that just has MIDI outs then it will depend on your soundcard/mixer interface and its input output options... or you can chain it to another device that fits the criteria necessary to connect to your PC regarding ins/outs.

what model is it?

in terms of a good interface that's affordable i use one of these:
http://www.tcelectronic.com/desktop-konnekt-6/

it's a few years old now so you can pick one up fairly cheap. i am not a DJ though. i play bass and do vocals.

in a nut shell you need to be careful what you buy because you need to have the correct inputs and outputs for what you want to do. if not, you will end up wanting to upgrade sooner rather than later.

for example if you want to record vocals it would be preferable to have an XLR input for the microphone that has phantom power.
another example... you mentioned DJ... this could mean you need some RCA inputs.

be more specific about what you currently have and it will be easier for posters to suggest alternatives.
what type of mixer are you using with your tables? it's possible that you already have everything you need right there.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 pm

funken wrote:
H20nly wrote:
for example if you want to record vocals it would be preferable to have an XLR input for the microphone that has phantom power.
You only need phantom power for a condenser mic, and those are usually too sensitive anyway. A dynamic mic is a lot easier.
that first bit is fact. the second bit is opinion.

while i do agree with your logic to a point, there are scenarios where one could find a flaw in it... such as having someone come by and bring their own mic... like me for example. i would need phantom power.

but what i said was more to point out that there are other options on an interface to consider. i agree with you that the phantom power is not necessarily required, but having an XLR input... should be. that is just my opinion, but i would never throw down my hard earned cash on an interface that can't take an XLR. i have a DI box that i use with my bass - 1/4 inch in XLR out to XLR in on the interface. you can pick up a phantom power add on, but by not having XLR if needed... you're toast. going from 1/4 inch to XLR is typically just a workaround that defeats the purpose of the superior connector in the first place - so adapters and such are squirrely at best.

just my .02 YRMV

edit: i 100% percent agree that a condenser is too sensitive for live performance. all my previous posting in this thread was making reference to home/studio recording.

gav_35

Post by gav_35 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks for the all the replies!

My MIDI keyboard is a Microkorg which I have plugged directly into the soundcard of my PC. Its not the end of the world if the interface I get doesnt have a MIDI input. Im not too pushed on having inputs on the interface either, as I said it will mainly be used for djing and if Im stuck I can always just record something onto my PC and transfer it over.
I have a pair of Bose OE headphones which do the job and just a standard set of Logitech speakers I have in my bedroom.
I have a Pioneer DJM700 for my decks which unfortunately doesnt have a USB port.

The NI Gear looks pretty good, will have a look in more detail to these. I cant get ay 360 degree views of the NI Audio 2 DJ but from what I can gather its just a USB input and two outputs?? So Ill plug the APC into the MacBook and this will control Ableton and the other USB will run into the Audio 2 DJ, which has the two outputs? Excuse the ridiculous questions but Ive had a long day :oops:

Funken I will be all over your written tutorials thanks :D

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:28 pm

NI interfaces are OK - 2DJ will do the job @ minimum cost. If you want quality&reliability, get RME babyface, bit cheaper , very good new Echo 2 USB, Duet is fine too. The highest value for money is earlier recommended TC Desktop - same quality as bigger TC units, absolutely usable for DJing- it is 2 in 4 out card. Much better than all those M audios, Presonuses and similar interfaces in 200-500$ range, buying those is spending more for less.

ttilberg

Post by ttilberg » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 pm

Gav, yes the NI Audio 2 has a USB input, and 2 stereo 1/4" outputs. So you'd hook a USB cable from your Macbook to the audio 2, and then your audio programs will give you 2 stereo pairs to output from. On Live's master channel, you can specify 1/2 to be your master output, which would be 1/4" A, and then 3/4 as monitor outputs, which are your B 1/4" running to your headphones.

Of course, this isn't the only way to do it, but this is your "typical" dj setup with Ableton and an Audio 2.

I agree with the sentiment towards Echo. I used to have an Echo Indigo, and that card really slammed clean, never had any issues.
Tim Tilberg - Duluth, MN | SoundCloud - Arsenal
2011 13" MBP w/8GB ram | Live 9 Suite, Reason 6.5, FXPansion DCAM/Etch/Maul, Izotope Ozone 5

gav_35

Post by gav_35 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:57 pm

ttilberg wrote:Gav, yes the NI Audio 2 has a USB input, and 2 stereo 1/4" outputs. So you'd hook a USB cable from your Macbook to the audio 2, and then your audio programs will give you 2 stereo pairs to output from. On Live's master channel, you can specify 1/2 to be your master output, which would be 1/4" A, and then 3/4 as monitor outputs, which are your B 1/4" running to your headphones.

Of course, this isn't the only way to do it, but this is your "typical" dj setup with Ableton and an Audio 2.

I agree with the sentiment towards Echo. I used to have an Echo Indigo, and that card really slammed clean, never had any issues.
Appreciate that Tim and Rikhyray!