Recording electric guitar into live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
GreatExpectations

Recording electric guitar into live

Post by GreatExpectations » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Hi guys,

I've been using live for a couple of years now and it's great fun, but thing I've struggled with though is the music aspect! I really have no idea about playing the keys and clicking with a mouse just doesn't do it for me. I played guitar as a kid for many years and so I've decided that I should use this as a way for me to get my ideas into live. I have no experience with recording before. What I want advice on before I buy a guitar again is what's the easiest (and cheapest) way to record the guitar into live? What do I need to plug the guitar into my MacBook? Ideally I want it to be software based i.e. use amp modelling software like amplitude or guitar rig. I've been looking at something like the apogee jam but haven't really found the info I need.

Thanks in advance

J0n35y

Re: Recording electric guitar into live

Post by J0n35y » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:02 pm

CAnt say what would be the best cheap option but there are a load of cheapish audio interfaces to use with your computer which will get your recordings in via USB. As for software, if you have Live, take advantage of its effects. You can do some excellent stuff with it for guitar recording - I use it regularly via my x-stations interface.

doghouse

Post by doghouse » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:03 pm

The simplest way to plug a guitar into a MacBook is just plug it into the mike input. You just need the proper cable.

Next step up is guitar only interfaces, of which Apogee Jam is one but there are others: Ion Guitar Port, Behringer Guitar Port, Peavey XPort, IK iRig, IK Stealth Plug, etc.

Next step up is a more generic audio interface, which would let you also use microphones and line level sources like keyboards.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:13 pm

You can read all about guitar interfaces, so I won't belabor the specifics. I am not familiar with Macs, but I know with Windows, you really need a guitar interface if you plan on playing guitar along with drums, other music, etc. The latency in built-in sound cards really doesn't do it.

But yes, to record guitar (good) and with little latency you need 1) a guitar interface, 2) a guitar cable (obviously), and 3)amp modeling software. I have a Scarlett 18i6 and GuitarRig 5. It's a damn good combo.

philipc

Post by philipc » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Apogee Jam and Amplitube 3 Free would give you a pretty cheap and quite nice guitar recording setup. You'll definitely need a dedicated interface, and don't go for a dirt cheap one like a Behringer or something because it'll sound bad, be unreliable and generally make you stressed out (poison to any creative process).

Another option would be something like the Yamaha THR series practice amps. I got a THR10C last year and it's terrific. It's primarily a practice amp but also functions as a USB audio interface. Drivers are flawless, sound quality is great. They're pretty reasonably priced, the THR5 in particular. That would be my choice.

When I started making music as a student I just used a guitar plugged straight in to my laptop's line in, recording into Audacity. I had a lot of fun with that and I learned loads but it never, ever sounded anything like a guitar - or sometimes even like music! You can make music with anything but if you want actual guitar sounds then there's really no substitute for a proper audio interface with an amp sim or an amp with audio interface capabilities.

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I've narrowed it down to either an apogee jam or the apogee one (depending on how the finances are!). Can anyone comment on how abletons amp stands up in terms of guitar amp modelling software?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Amp+Cabinet are perfectly serviceable choices, and if you have Suite, the price is definitely right (aka you already own it).

They don't offer as much flexibility as I've come to enjoy with Guitar Rig, and I feel like the emulations feel more suited to putting amp+cab effects on synths and samples than live playing with my guitar.

That said, they are definitely up to the task if you're willing to spend some time with them, and the stability and (relatively) small resource footprint makes them worth trying.

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:32 pm

Personally, if you were going to go with the Apogee Jam, then that's cool. But for the price you pay for an Apogee One, I would get the Scarlett 18i6. It's a ridiculous $236 on Amazon right now (http://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlet ... B004W6KREC), and it has two (very high quality) mic (XLR Combo) inputs plus like 6 instrument ins. And I'm not pimping it because I own one. I'm pimping it because after doing lord knows how many hours of research on guitar interfaces and software amp modeling software last year (in a similar boat as you), I considered nearly every single option under $500 on the market.

Anyhoo, about the amp modeling, Ableton's amps are good actually. The reason I have Guitar Rig is because the breadth of choices was mind boggling and too tempting in terms of the overall gear. And I play speed/thrash metal, and for that kind of thing, Guitar Rig proved excellent. If I'm doing clean guitar or guitar without huge amounts of distortions though, I really like Ableton's amp sims and cabinets. And it's not that Ableton's amps don't have huge distortion options, but I've just found my exact sound I like in Guitar Rig (which I had prior to Ableton Suite). So there's really no going back, now that I've dialed in my sound exactly like I like. So yeah, Ableton's sims do actually sound very good I think, but it will just depend on if they'll work with the type of music you play and if you find 'your' sound. It's hard for another person to say though if it will fit your needs. If you want (if it would help), I can record some guitar through various Ableton Amps/cabinets to give you an idea of what can be done. There really doesn't seem to be much on Youtube or online about that. For Guitar Rig and other VSTs, there's a good bit out there already to give you an idea.

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:12 pm

Hi SpeedKing - thanks very much for your reply and advice. If you could record some of Ableton's amps and cabinets that would be really useful. I'll definitely have a look at the Scarlet. At the moment I'm thinking of giving the Jam a try - but I know that in a years time I'll be regretting not having gone with something more equipped!

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:55 am

Hey dude, so here is something I just now recorded that shows the different Ableton amps. Giving things another try, I really do like some of the clean sounds we have here. BUT, depending on what one wants, the distorted settings could give much reservation.

Also, you can of course really bring out more life to a guitar sound with some chorus, EQ, etc., but for this purpose, this is no internal or external effects except a bit of reverb.

I think for all of the guitars used the 4x12 cabinet, near on-axis condenser mic settings. As for the AMP settings:

0:00-0:25 -- "Clean"
0:25-0:51 -- "Boost"
0:52-1:12 -- "Blues"
1:13-1:45 -- "Rock"
1:46-2:23 -- "Lead"
2:24-end -- "Heavy"

Of course there are some tweaks you can make in each AMP setting (Gain, Bass, Mids, Treble and Presence mostly) to make it sound a bit different as well. But this clip gives the rundown on the overall sound of the six types of amps.

LINK: https://soundcloud.com/user646823035/test-can-delete

I hope this was helpful dude.

Listen to one of "Work[s] in Progress" to hear the normal guitar sound I get in GuitarRig. Work in progress is a good one for that.

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 am

That was super helpful dude. I really appreciate you taking the time. Sounds like I will be up and running with suits amp and cabinets.

And nice chops by the way :D

SpeedKing

Post by SpeedKing » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 am

GreatExpectations wrote:That was super helpful dude. I really appreciate you taking the time. Sounds like I will be up and running with suits amp and cabinets.

And nice chops by the way :D
Thanks! And no problem. There are also lots of free guitar amps/impulses online as well. Back when I was doing a lot of research I ran into a lot people who got really good sounds out of free stuff. The only one I recall by name was this one: http://lepouplugins.blogspot.co.uk/. I'm sure there are others. But yeah, between Ableton's built in stuff and free stuff online, I'm sure that will provide a lot of good sounds honestly.

philipc

Post by philipc » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:55 pm

There's a stripped down version of Amplitube 3 that's free. You get only a couple of amps but the sound quality is the same. Worth trying out.

GreatExpectations

Post by GreatExpectations » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:15 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going for an apogee one. Quickly plugged it in last night and it all seems straight forward. Now to decide on some amp modelling software...

philipc

Post by philipc » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Nice. I think you'll be very happy with that one!

What I've done in the past when comparing amp sims is record a phrase and then put all the different sims in an effects rack and flip between them with the solo button. Make sure they have the same levels (very important - everything sounds better if its louder) and are set to similar settings and you should get a fairly objective comparison between them, sound-wise at least. Amplitube won for me but Live's Amp and Cabinet are perfectly useable.