sampling using sampler VS. regular audio clips

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
spoot088

sampling using sampler VS. regular audio clips

Post by spoot088 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:47 am

I have been making tracks that require lots of sampling and chopping up audio in general.

I have found that using audio clips gives you FAR more functionality. (talking about changing pitch and keeping tempo, being able to warp)

i have also found that putting that audio in a drumrack, simpler, sampler makes in a lot easier to program with midi. However, you lose the extra functionality. (a lot of times i find myself looking through my desktop for the original audio to re-edit it)

My question is this: is there any way to combine the ease of midi programming with the extra functionality of audio editing??

aka a simpler where you could still warp the samples or something??

d.reamonn

Re: sampling using sampler VS. regular audio clips

Post by d.reamonn » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:58 am

I hear 3rd party samplers can do this. Have you looked at Kontakt?
https://soundcloud.com/maybe-logic

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:05 am

Yep - use Kontakt.

What I tend to do (for vocals and like 'proper' samples from other people's songs and speeches and stuff) is to load up the entire song in Kontakt - one huge sample.

Set it to time machine (realtime time-stretch mode).

Play and move the sample start and change the speed of the playback in Kontakt until I get stuff I like.

Then I often record the sample back into Live using shift control r and drag the audio file back in.

That way I can maybe get some more samples in Kontakt - otherwise I will have to start making multisamples and zones and all that crap...

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:29 pm

You can use a midi keyboard to trigger audio clips in realtime and play them that way. It will automatically transpose them in realtime etc. I love doing this with midi clips too. Hopefully one day sampler will be updated to include warping and everything else that's great about using audio clips.