March the 5th!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djadonis206

Re: March the 5th!!!!!!!!!!

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:45 pm

Am I the only one who owned The Glue prior to it being incorporated into Live?

I got an email from the Glue folks we get an extra $30 off, so that helps.

If you own the glue, you should email them - ableton and the glue people (not sure the name of the company, cymptomatic or something like that)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

andydes

Post by andydes » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:52 pm

am wrote:I've been quiet on this, but I find it strange that the people who have forked out for the Orchestral Instruments don't get a discount also... And that there is no apparent complaint from them.... It cost more than Max for Live!
Maybe because people who are into orchestral arrangements have got more class. :P

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:13 pm

Well it is $249 for me to go from Live 8 Suite to 9 Suite. I get M4L, some extra devices and perhaps more content than EIC2 which I believe is where they are listing Orchestral this, that and the other thing....So for $159 to just get Live 9 and keep all my existing instruments/packs (which line up pretty much what is in Live 9 - barring new additional content from previously mention packs and other packs). Is it worth $90 more to get Suite with M4L, additional content and effects/instruments? Perhaps, but I am on the fence. They said they are fixing the NKI/Sampler issue in 9, will it be out of the box or a patch down the road months from now? I don't know. How long are these prices supposedly good for (our prices shown from our account page)? If it is several months I may wait things out and put some cash aside as I really can't justify updating to 9 right now due to barely using 8 and 9 won't change that IMHO.

If I was making coin like some of you, i.e. where you have disposable income to blow on this it'd be a different story. But I invested in Studio One V2 last year (hey, %50 off = can't beat that price) and Heavocity instruments (Damage, Evolve, Evolved Mutations 1 and 2) and Komplete 8 upgrade from K7. So it's kind of hard to justify this with the cash I've already blown in the past year on updates....

Have fun to those who update, I am curious to see how rapidly an update comes out due to issues being run into by folks who may not have done beta testing and have large sets or complicated set-ups.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 pm

darkenedsoul wrote:How long are these prices supposedly good for (our prices shown from our account page)?
My page says only through March 12th.

push

Post by push » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:56 pm

quiet_ou wrote:199 USD, for the suite.

sweet

:)
Is this the price for Suite 8 + M4L -> Suite 9?

I'm seeing $249 USD for Suite 8 -> Suite 9. Was hoping for a slightly better price. $200 would have been OK.

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:38 pm

I watched to Tom Cosm video about Live 9. Wow! Each of the improvements alone look worth the upgrade. Much better browser, easier previewing of sounds, M4L in Suite, converting audio to midi, clearer marking of bars in the midi editor, EQ with spectrum analyser overlaid, etc. All of that will mean an awesome improvement to workflow and creativity. This is going to be so exciting!

Two questions:

1. Can you adjust the shading in the midi editor to cover say one beat/one bar/four bars/sixteen bars?

2. Is there any improvement in the eye candy?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:48 pm

2. Is there any improvement in the eye candy?
Slightly. They added a couple of options in the look and feel section of the Preferences menu, where you can adjust the tint, color intensity, and brightness of a given skin. So if you really like the default Monolake one but wish it were blue/black/green/etc. you can change the tint and brightness

Otherwise, same old Live you've always known, which isn't a bad thing :D

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:37 am

Thanks,

I wish it had better eye candy. I like glowing alien things like the computers in Smallville and Chuck. Inspires me. Of course, it's bad for the eyes, so only good for a short time.

They should make the midi editor shading user-adjustable. But I'm glad they have done something. It will be much easier to see where you are now.

Have they fixed the problem of unreadable text in the session view with drum names in the midi editor? Drum names were dark with a dark background in a dark theme, so you couldn't read them. I like how Adobe Premiere CS6 changes from white text/black background to black text/white background when needed. That has an attractive interface even though it is basically monotone.

Also, is there a thread where lots of people are actively discussing new features of Live 9. I couldn't find one.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:18 am

Have they fixed the problem of unreadable text in the session view with drum names in the midi editor? Drum names were dark with a dark background in a dark theme, so you couldn't read them. I like how Adobe Premiere CS6 changes from white text/black background to black text/white background when needed. That has an attractive interface even though it is basically monotone.
Nope - not yet. I work around this by having a mostly dark interface with white text - for the most part it serves me well, but sometimes on clips with light colors (white/yellow/etc.) it's hard to see. I usually just choose one of the darker shades

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:29 am

3DW wrote:
Goseba wrote:When I upgraded to Suite 8, I only owned Sampler separately. Are you saying that if I go from Suite 8 to 9 Standard, I'd get to keep Operator, Collision, Electric, and Analog? That's crazy! Nice of Ableton, but it still seems crazy.
I dont think it is crazy. You should be able to upgrade to the new engine and features of live 9 if your happy to keep what you already have in live 8.

You would miss out on the new glue compressor and some sample packs but if your not bothered then go for the cheaper upgrade.
the glue is not a suite only device. at least i hope not that's one of the few reasons to upgrade from live 8 standard imo. I don't really need any of the Live devices and adding new ones doesn't appeal to me because chances are I already own a vst does the same thing.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:30 am

KrisM wrote:
3DW wrote:
KrisM wrote:When I upgraded to Suite 8, I only owned Sampler separately. Are you saying that if I go from Suite 8 to 9 Standard, I'd get to keep Operator, Collision, Electric, and Analog? That's crazy! Nice of Ableton, but it still seems crazy.
I dont think it is crazy. You should be able to upgrade to the new engine and features of live 9 if your happy to keep what you already have in live 8.

You would miss out on the new glue compressor and some sample packs but if your not bothered then go for the cheaper upgrade.
It was my understanding that the instruments in Suite are part of Suite and so upgrading to something that is not Suite, keeping them would almost feel like stealing :lol:

But I plan to go to 9 Suite either way. It's cheaper than an upgrade to M4L for me.
how is it stealing? They already paid for the instruments. Besides you don't need to own the Suite to use the instruments. I own Operator but I don't own the Suite.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

autodidactic

Post by autodidactic » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 am

Mine is showing $284 to upgrade to suite even though I already own Sampler and M4L. Kind of steep I think. Am I correct in assuming that if I upgrade to 9 standard my M4L and Sampler will get upgraded with it?

Zerobae

Post by Zerobae » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 am

djadonis206 wrote:Am I the only one who owned The Glue prior to it being incorporated into Live?

I got an email from the Glue folks we get an extra $30 off, so that helps.

If you own the glue, you should email them - ableton and the glue people (not sure the name of the company, cymptomatic or something like that)
not quite sure i'm following... are you saying owners of the glue should mail andy at cytomic to receive a discount on live 9? how would that work?
thanks!

JayNiko

Post by JayNiko » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:08 am

Looks like I'm not gonna buy such an upgrade (USD249/159), already spent enough for Suite 8.

Acid303

Post by Acid303 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:51 am

The Crucial Question: Is Live 9 Really Ready & Fully Working? Or Will This Be A 2nd Round Of Beta Testing In Reality?