March the 5th!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KrisM

Re: March the 5th!!!!!!!!!!

Post by KrisM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:07 pm

Ableton_David wrote:To clear up the confusion - if you upgrade from Suite 8 to Live 9 Standard, you'll still get to keep everything that you had with Suite 8. You just won't get any of the new stuff in Live 9 Suite (Max for Live + 25 new devices, The Forge, Session Drums Club/Multimic/Studio, Digicussion 2, Orchestral Instrument Collection, and more). Check out a full feature comparison here: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/
When I upgraded to Suite 8, I only owned Sampler separately. Are you saying that if I go from Suite 8 to 9 Standard, I'd get to keep Operator, Collision, Electric, and Analog? That's crazy! Nice of Ableton, but it still seems crazy.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

The Northern Contingent

Post by The Northern Contingent » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:21 pm

KrisM wrote:
Ableton_David wrote:To clear up the confusion - if you upgrade from Suite 8 to Live 9 Standard, you'll still get to keep everything that you had with Suite 8. You just won't get any of the new stuff in Live 9 Suite (Max for Live + 25 new devices, The Forge, Session Drums Club/Multimic/Studio, Digicussion 2, Orchestral Instrument Collection, and more). Check out a full feature comparison here: https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/
When I upgraded to Suite 8, I only owned Sampler separately. Are you saying that if I go from Suite 8 to 9 Standard, I'd get to keep Operator, Collision, Electric, and Analog? That's crazy! Nice of Ableton, but it still seems crazy.
Yes - I can confirm this is correct. I emailed Ableton directly a while back who said that any instruments and effects from Suite 8 will be upgraded whether you buy Standard or Suite 9. I think I'm going for the Suite route anyway as its only an extra thirty quid for an extra 40 gb of sound packs (not to mention the M4L effects).

3DW

Post by 3DW » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Goseba wrote:When I upgraded to Suite 8, I only owned Sampler separately. Are you saying that if I go from Suite 8 to 9 Standard, I'd get to keep Operator, Collision, Electric, and Analog? That's crazy! Nice of Ableton, but it still seems crazy.
I dont think it is crazy. You should be able to upgrade to the new engine and features of live 9 if your happy to keep what you already have in live 8.

You would miss out on the new glue compressor and some sample packs but if your not bothered then go for the cheaper upgrade.

Goseba

Post by Goseba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm

3DW wrote:
Goseba wrote:When I upgraded to Suite 8, I only owned Sampler separately. Are you saying that if I go from Suite 8 to 9 Standard, I'd get to keep Operator, Collision, Electric, and Analog? That's crazy! Nice of Ableton, but it still seems crazy.
I dont think it is crazy. You should be able to upgrade to the new engine and features of live 9 if your happy to keep what you already have in live 8.

You would miss out on the new glue compressor and some sample packs but if your not bothered then go for the cheaper upgrade.
You have quoted me in error here, this post was not by me.

I agree with your comments though.

3DW

Post by 3DW » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:37 pm

Sorry about that man. :oops:

Goseba

Post by Goseba » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 pm

No worries :D

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:16 pm

Edit : misread above post.
Last edited by Rosko on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 pm

3DW wrote:
KrisM wrote:When I upgraded to Suite 8, I only owned Sampler separately. Are you saying that if I go from Suite 8 to 9 Standard, I'd get to keep Operator, Collision, Electric, and Analog? That's crazy! Nice of Ableton, but it still seems crazy.

It was my understanding that the instruments in Suite are part of Suite and so upgrading to something that is not Suite, keeping them would almost feel like stealing :lol:

But I plan to go to 9 Suite either way. It's cheaper than an upgrade to M4L for me.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:50 pm

I've been quiet on this, but I find it strange that the people who have forked out for the Orchestral Instruments don't get a discount also... And that there is no apparent complaint from them.... It cost more than Max for Live!
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:02 pm

am wrote:I've been quiet on this, but I find it strange that the people who have forked out for the Orchestral Instruments don't get a discount also... And that there is no apparent complaint from them.... It cost more than Max for Live!
I've noticed that, too. Maybe there just aren't very many of them? It was a $500 orchestral library for a DAW most wouldn't think of for that kind of work (and I'm not saying Live isn't suite to it. It's just not the first one people think of, or even then fourth).

3DW

Post by 3DW » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:02 pm

There seems to be a few conflicts as to fairly pricing these upgrades, but to be fair to Ableton This must be a nightmare to try and plan out in a fair way to everyone.

Im just personally happy that a program i paid around £500 for is only going to cost me £164 to upgrade to live 9 and benefit from having M4L.

It works for me but theres going to be a few downhearted people that feel their upgrade price could be better.

login

Post by login » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:14 pm

So, Suite 8, to Standard 9 is the best option for those who dont want the libraries.

The other questionremaining:

If i own MAx for live and upgrade to standad, does the "m4l engine" gets upgraded too? will it support Max 6?

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:25 pm

3DW wrote:It works for me but theres going to be a few downhearted people that feel their upgrade price could be better.

Well Ableton is a small company so they can’t price software like Apple. My upgrade from 8 Suite to 9 Suite is $250, not really tempting at the moment. But also that price is only good through March 12th. So what is it going to go up to after that?

I pretty much get everything I need out of 8 and everything in 9 seems cool, but nothing I really need. If my upgrade path goes up to $300+ it’s probably something I will continually put off getting.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:25 pm

199 USD, for the suite.

sweet

:)

CFM

Post by CFM » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:35 pm

Cool, hot, sexy, cool!

That changes my spending plans this month... Not bothered about push... it's not the way I work, but Live 9 with Max

Hope they start taking cash soon - Next Wednesday 20th would be good...PAY DAY :lol: